Starting a new life

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here in the next couple of days, you'll here no more from me or my fuzzy beard because I've decided to make a change in my life now or else never do it. Don't worry, its not a sex change or anything. On Monday I am leaving for Army basic training in Fort Jackson, South Carolina. I'm not doing this on a whim or anything, it's been on my mind for about 6 or 7 months and I decided that if I don't just get off the couch and do it, then I will probably never ever get off the couch and do anything. The job (Military Occupational Specialty, or MOS) I'm going to do is 94F and I'm really looking forward to that a lot. The board level electronics stuff was what I was suppose to go to college to do, but at the last minute my college cancelled that degree program, so computers and IT was my second option.

My dad was in the Army for over 2 decades, and he always told me that he doesn't expect me to follow in his footsteps but he thinks everyone should serve however they can sometime during their life. Service to my country is one reason why I'm going, another biggy is that I don't see myself going too far in life from where I am now and the military will be a big step forward.

The biggest down side to joining the military that I can come up with is that I might have to go to Iraq or Iran, neither of which I want to go to but I will if called upon because that will be my duty. Another down side is that I am having to learn to shave! I'm 21 years old now, and I haven't been clean shaven since I was 17. And back then, my dad was stationed at Fort McCoy in Wisconsin whilst mom and I were back home in Nebraska, so I never got that father-son disposable razor shaving lesson. I always used an electric, so probably after work on Friday (my last day in a desk job Wo0t!) my dad is going to formally teach me how to shave. Bye-bye, Grizzly Adams look! :cry:

So to my good buddies in Ozzuland, catch you later! Good luck with your wedding 613, and with school to spork and Spoof, and R_T...please save some booze for later. Celandine and Unflux, you guys need to stop making websites because you're making the rest of us look like amateurs, and to ATNO and BWM thanks for the good forum, friendly people and good spam control. Hopefully this last bit isn't all mooshy and stuff.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Army?? WTF! You disappoint me. All those PM's about the Marines and you go Army. It is a sad day.

I wouldn't worry too much about iran since we are not fighting there. Iraq and Afghanistan are your main concerns but being a spark chaser i wouldn't worry too much about getting shot at. Unless the Army has changed they don't consider everyone a rifleman like the Marines do.

I wish you luck nevertheless. If you need someone to write to let me know.

BTW, do you know what Army stands for?

A - Ain't
R - Ready to be a
M - Marine
Y - Yet
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me tell you why I chose army over the Corps. The knuckle head recruiter I told you about made it very very clear he wasn't interested in recruiting a college educated 21 year old, but rather 17 year old high school juniors. That first time I met with him he kept trying to get me to find reasons not to enlist, which was kind of weird. Then the second time I talked to him, the MARINE recruiter was giving me the sale pitch for stuff like the ARMY college fund and their bonuses and MOS's and stuff. Then the real kicker, he walked me down the hall to the army recruiters office to introduce me to him and abandoned me there. So last week I was in the army recruiters office, and the Marine recruiter walked in for some damn reason, being a smart ass I guess, and didn't even give me the light of day. He barely even glanced at me. So I figured that he must not need my recruiting statistics this close to the end of his fiscal year, so I'll give them to the army guy instead.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We'll be around when you come out. They do have internet access in the military, btw *lol (my daughter is in the Navy and she does --maybe the army is special and forgot to install it?)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Marines guy did the same thing to me when I was 18 kc0tma, I think it's some sort of test to see whether you really want to be a Marine or whether you'll just settle for what they stick you with.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
We'll be around when you come out. They do have internet access in the military, btw *lol (my daughter is in the Navy and she does --maybe the army is special and forgot to install it?)

I know they do have internet in the military, just not too sure about during basic training. Even if they do in basic training, I'll probably use my one or two minutes of free time to shoot out an email or two. And that of course is hanging on the idea that the line to get to the computer isn't a mile long.

It doesn't bother me too much that I picked the army instead of marines. Grinches acronym is a new one, the other I heard once was Aren't Real Men Yet. That recruiting strategy doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, at least get them hooked on one MOS or an other then try pulling that trick with them.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been a pleasure having you around on ozzu. Hope things work out for you like you want! Some people sit around all their life not taking any chances and then regret it later, so it looks like you won't have to worry about that :)

I hope we hear from you in the future once you get settled in and have more free time. At least pop in every now and then and tell us how things are going for you in the army. Oh and make sure you show us a pic of you without the beard LOL.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good on you for taking this route. My brother is in the British Army and has been for about 6 years now. I remember when he did his basic training he found it very hard and it took several phone calls to him to convince him to stick it out, if the US is the same then i imagine the Basic Training will perhaps be the some of toughest times in the army. I'm sure you're dad will keep you right though!

Keep in touch with us here and let us know how you are doing and please remember that you've got alot of regulars here who are supporting you throughout your career!

If only i could be as brave to join the army.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way, is that a real photo of you in your avatar? if so then i echo Bigwebmaster in the request to see a photo without the beard!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats not really me in my avatar, its the legendary Grizzly Adams. There's a picture of me in the self portrait thread in the photography forum. Thanks for your good words, I've still got a few days left as a civilian. The next two days I am spending in Omaha at the military entrance processing station. My dad and my recruiters have been a big help in telling me what to expect for the next 9 weeks. I think the biggest thing I have going for me is that I am thick skinned, I have a long fuse, it takes a lot to make me angry. The drill sergeants will find a way to crack me wide open, but I also have the ability to not take things personally, so hopefully I can at least kind of function with them in my face shouting at me. I'm nervous about going, but still excited nonetheless.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still looks like Grizzly Adams to me

Goodbye facial hair and welcome crew cut!
(I think he was really going for that Grizzly Adams look too - what a shame -- dang that's what my beard looked like in early college)
Attachments:
ICGuy1959.jpg

Or maybe even later on in life

Yes folks that's the bigger version of my former avatar you couldn't really make out.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma... the person in the avatar is you???? :shock:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Thats not really me in my avatar, its the legendary Grizzly Adams.

Reading is fundamental Bogey.

I'm just giving you a hard time kc0tma. I'm sure you will do just fine and have a successful career.

I seriously doubt you will have a chance to use a computer during boot camp. You will probably get the chance at you MOS school though. If Army boot camp is anything close to Marine boot camp you may get one phone call that lasts roughly 2 minutes.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ft. Jackson is about 20 minutes away from my house. By the end of your training the weather should be cooling down nicely. You're lucky you didn't start back in June.

You'll probably be here right in time for the state fair. :lol:

If you don't like Nebraska, I'm afraid you probably won't find Columbia very compelling. But then again, you're probably not going to be around long enough to hate it.

:)

Good luck, good fortune!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Man ... really cool for you ... I am glad that you have thought this through before just going off and joining ... I really hop we hear a bit from you still every now and then though ...
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are serious guy friend. You will learn so many interesting and cognitive things there. I can only wish you good luck!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Bye-bye, Grizzly Adams look! :cry:

:cry:

Best of luck to you. Change is always a good thing, and in the words of Red Green himself,

"I'm a man, but I can change...if I have to. I guess..."

See ya around sir! :salut:
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an 11 year vet, God speed and best of luck.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck kid - I'm gonna miss you around here :) Hope it turns out to be everything you expected!! good luck with the shaving lesson - I'm sure you'll soon be a natural at it (even if you are getting a bit of a late start :) ) ...And who's going to take care of the fuzzy kitty?

Hope to still see you around sometimes!!!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I guess I'm a civilian a little while longer than expected, dammit. I got through all my medical physicals and stuff and did good on everything, except when they did my blood pressure it was just barely over the maximum limit. So according to regulations they have to wait a while then test it another two time. The second time I was below, but on the third time I was the same as the first. So they switched from the automatic blood pressure machine to the hand pump thingamabobber, and it went from fair to waaaaay high. So the nurse took me into a private room and layed me down on a bed for about an hour and then the doctor came in and tested me with the manual blood pressure thing, and it was even freaking higher. He said I don't qualify for the army because of that, so he gave me a wavor and now twice a day for 5 days I have to go to the red cross and have it checked and they sign me off. If it goes down then the army will accept my wavor and I'll ship out, but if it doesn't then I'm *plum* out of luck. I highly doubt I can get it down because high blood pressure is hereditary on both side of my family, but I'm still cutting out all salt and all caffeine and cutting way back on red meat, and getting lots and lots of fresh vegetables. My recruiter was a surgical tech before he was a recruiter and he said to get fish oil pills too and take a couple of them a day. So my totally awesome excellent job in the army that I was having to leave on Monday so that I could finish basic training in time probably isn't going to happen for me. It is going to be a week at least until I can go back to MEPS, then a few days after that before I can ship out for basic training. What frustrates me most is that after today I am officially jobless and homeless. It's my last day at work, and I am turning in the keys to my apartment this afternoon. Looks like I'm freeloading off mom and dad for a while now!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow that definitely sucks. Hopefully what you are doing to reduce your blood pressure works out. Keep us posted.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: I can't believe you can get so far into the process and then just get...er...dissed.

Well, atleast we get you back for a while. :thumbsup:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And let me tell you what, I had to wait in the waiting room for 5 flipping hours for the other guy from my town to finish his stuff up. And I didn't even get put into the good waiting room, I had to sit n the one with no tv, no magazines, no pictures on the wall to look at, no windows, just a plain white room with big signs posted saying "NO SLEEPING IN WAITING AREA". That was along 5 hours, at least there were people going in and out to talk to and to eaves drop on and stuff.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been a long read after several weeks I'd not read a topic from General. Kc, I'd still morally support you even if you don't remember to mention me in your first post, or have totally forgotten me, staying or leaving for army. You've been a great help in here. :)

Good Luck!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And let me tell you what, I had to wait in the waiting room for 5 flipping hours for the other guy from my town to finish his stuff up.

just that would get my blood pressure up :D

joking aside, I think you're going about it the right way - try to eat all the right stuff and live as healthy as possible and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, maybe a longer-term lifestyle change (healthy life, exercise, etc) could bring your pressure sufficiently down, and then you try again with the army in a year or so? ....does it work that way?
  • Pof
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Pof

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish you good luck in improving your military skills!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the army doesn't work out, I have a plan B. There is a job opening in town that I am totally 110% qualified for, and it pays almost twice as much as the dead end desk job I'm in now. The downside is that I would be traveling in my own vehicle (a jeep) for about 4 to 5 days a week. Gas is all reimbursed but still that is a lot of wear and tear on my favorite 4 wheeled vehicle.

But that is only if my blood pressure doesn't go down.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts