Starting a proxy?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to add a proxy service to wedevoy? Not change it entirely to proxy but add that service? Or is it going to take too much bandwidth? Or do I need a VPS server for that?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would it be an anonymous proxy? Would it just be for http or would it include IRC and other protocols?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I got an AJAX Chat for my forum, I don't know if that counts as un-anonymous...

I might just create a complete different domain for my proxy and make it an an anonymous proxy.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

An anonymous proxy is one that doesn't keep logs of IP addresses that connect to it. The Ajax login page is something totally different. It has nothing to do with proxies and is not anonymous.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Than I'm probably going to create a totally different domain for one... I already got big plans for it :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds good to me and I would use it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
It sounds good to me and I would use it.

I'm also thinking about having a Firewall run alongside it. At least I read in an article that that's what some people do, but I don't know how or if it's possible...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds really great, bogey. I will use it. :)

Good Luck.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys :D I guess I'm going along after I finish reading all the articles I need :D

Maybe someone could give me pointers?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know you're probably just considering an HTTP proxy for anon web surfing but I'd like to see an ssh tunnel that I could use for different protocols.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wouldn't that allow people to go through or circumvent in other terms the Firewall?

[EDIT:] What is SSH Tunnel? I read articles about it and it says that the files/information transferred on an SSH Tunnel are secure and wouldn't be accessible to anyone else but the receiver and sender.

But in Cork-screw they said that it (Their SSH Tunnel thing) has being used against some proxies... enough said, all I mean to say is that I don't want anyone to use it against me... I don't really think that I entirely know the full extent of an SSH Tunnel...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

SSH is Secure Shell. It is the protocol that replaced telnet in the last 7 years or so. I have one shell on my FreeBSD laptop. I login to it from my XP box using Putty, which is an SSH client. I can run any Unix commands on that box from Windows. That's a basic way of using it.

I also have a remote shell that allows me to set my browser or IRC client to a local port on my machine and tunnel through the remote shell, therefore making it a proxy. If someone looks for my IP address in IRC, they won't see it. If they see anything at all, it will be the IP address of the SSH Server. If I use the browser through the tunnel, web servers will only see the IP of the proxy.

What makes it anonymous or not is whether or not the owner of the proxy/tunnel keeps logs of the connections to it. In other words, if I'm using your proxy and you don't keep logs and the FBI serves you with a warrant for your logs, you won't have any. That makes me totally anonymous. There are people who want to end all anonymity on the net. Does all that make sense?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol yes, I understand... what are you going to do that makes you afraid of FBI come knocking on your door? :lol:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I'm not worried about them. :) Since your proxy will be anonymous, they will be at your door.

I'm just kidding. There was a story in the news a few years ago, that said Google knows everything about you when you make a search. Some old timer I know who is 80 believed every word of it and I tried to tell him that while they have an idea where you are based on an IP address, that's really all they know. They don't have you name and address. I even brought him some Apache log files but his head was too thick to understand.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Oh, I'm not worried about them. :) Since your proxy will be anonymous, they will be at your door.

lol, now that you mention that, logs are not the only thing I will keep track of :lol:

Could an SSH Tunnel prove to be a security threat to a proxy?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, the tunnel isn't a threat to a proxy. It can be an extension of a proxy or the proxy itself. When I first started playing with computers and the internet in 1995, anonymizer.com was one of the first proxies that I found. It was strictly for hiding your IP address while you surfed. It's no longer free, it's now sold as software.

Let's say I was really serious about staying completely anonymous because I was surfing questionable web sites. So I would go to a site that would let me surf while blocking my IP address. Well, that all sounds good but it's a false sense of security because the government could own the proxy. How would I know?

If we take it a step further to posts on message boards and usenet, the same thing applies. Are the remailers actually doing what they are supposed to be doing? They might strip my IP address from the headers but is someone else getting my IP and tracking the posts to me? Is it a government remailer.

Let's go back to your proxy. You can make it a simple http proxy for surfing through web page interface or you could go deeper and use a tunnel to allow other protocols.

You can do it for the benefit of the people, out of the goodness of your heart and pay for all the bandwidth yourself or you could charge for accounts and make some money. I like the first idea better. :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course you'd like the first idea :D I might combine the two together and test how much you really need an SSH Tunnel :D

The proxy itself would be free but you have to pay to use an SSH Tunnel? About payment though, wouldn't that take the anonymity away?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If something happens through a proxy/tunnel you manage, and you haven't kept the logs to point the authorities in another direction, guess who gets to answer for whatever happened ?

Best case scenario is they confiscate all of your equipment until they can determine you really aren't responsible for whatever happened. A warrent wouldn't be tough to get when your address is the last one in the trail they're following.

Don't be someone elses scape goat bogey.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

A money order payment is still fairly anonymous.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If something happens through a proxy/tunnel you manage, and you haven't kept the logs to point the authorities in another direction, guess who gets to answer for whatever happened ?

Best case scenario is they confiscate all of your equipment until they can determine you really aren't responsible for whatever happened. A warrent wouldn't be tough to get when your address is the last one in the trail they're following.

Don't be someone elses scape goat bogey.

That's what I was thinking over Joebert. Thanks though... :)

A money order payment?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why does a money order sound strange to you?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol because I don't really know what it is, or anything... don't think that I have ever done that...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess it's an American thing. It's basically a public checking account. You give them cash and an extra dollar and they give you a check for that amount. Various stores and the post office sell them. I can make it payable to Bogey for the cost of the proxy for a year. Let's say 25 American dollars. You deposit it in your account or cash it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It comes to me VIA mail? Like postal service?

Why not PayPal? Automated and easier?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's fine for the people who have a paypal account. I don't have one and I don't want one. I currently pay for a service similar to what you might offer and a money order was accepted but you can decide all that later. First you have to decide what type of proxies you are going to offer.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, how does it come? Via postal service?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that's correct.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't and wouldn't know how to set it up to work... if you provide me with a tutorial or something like that, than I would add that feature :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You get a P.O. box and have people mail the money orders to that address.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ok... so, when I receive the money order, I manually allow them to use the service that they are paying for?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 35 posts