Starting an IT related business

• IcyDragoon
  • Student
  • Student
  • IcyDragoon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, my partner and I were asked to create a website such as this one: http://www.uline.com/

Since it's our first time experience to actually have any business regarding web design and development, I would like to ask you guys:
if you were me, how much would you charge for this kind of website?

We are going to start our own business. For that purpose, we will need to purchase a list of equipments. Then it comes to us what type of server and what kind of server is benefitical to us. We are looking forward to a server that is secure and reliable, ultimately a web server. My partner sugguested to purchase a Mac Pro tower for its UNIX-based, and software compatibilities with artistic design software compatibilities such as dreamweaver, and the series of adobe software. What do you think about this idea? or give an alternative server that better fits our requirements and situations. PS: We both are college undergrads. =D

What difficulties and obstacles will newly started companies frequenctly encounter? just to be prepared.

Your replys are greatly appreciated

Best Regards,
Wensheng Chen
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have 3 questions there, the first being how much to charge for the web site. Calculate how many days or hours it will take you times how much you want per day or hour.

I would certainly have more than one machine available for use as a server. I don't anything about Macs but most web servers are either Windows or Unix.

Besides knowing your business, you must know business law, especially when it comes to contracts.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommend you don't provide hosting at first, you cant just buy a server and plug it in, you need an excellent connection and such. Especially not using the same machine for hosting and development, if thats what you meant.

However you could rent a dedicated web server.

Also I would recommend a linux based server because the operating system is free.

As for your other queries I cannot give a valued answer
  • IcyDragoon
  • Student
  • Student
  • IcyDragoon

Post 3+ Months Ago

We considered to purchase a server instead of renting one because of the ease of control and administrating the system. And we are planning to keep the server for the next five years or so. As for maintaining the server, we have planned to apply for a program offer by our school. I won't go into details of what benefits they are offering, but with that program, our expenses are definitely going to be cut by more than a half for the first few years. That takes care of our concerns of maintaining the server. As for which operating system to use as our server, we haven't decided yet. That's why I am here to ask for your valuable replys. We will also ask IT professionals in our school for their valuable adivces in the near future.

Regards,
Wensheng Chen
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would suggest red hat linux with apache web server, php and mysql
that is the standard that many web servers use, and it does the job very well.

you may also need to run nameservers on it too. i think the standard server applications are mostly open source. i don't know about WHM and cPanel though.

as for hardware you basically need the best you can get, only graphics and sound can be left out. hdd read speed and capacity being the most important I think
  • IcyDragoon
  • Student
  • Student
  • IcyDragoon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your great advices.

Any opinions from other?
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Read up on Business Law and the correct forms and legal proceedings to becoming an official small business in your area of residence. This is important for Tax information.

Unfortunately they vary depending on state or country so I can't give too much advice but this is definitely an important factor.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts