Stay away from me smokers !

  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

My neighbor is on oxygen, but she still smokes cigarettes, foolishly. This morning around 4AM she dropped her cigarette right on her oxygen tube and I'm guessing since she's a rather large lady she couldn't get to it before it burned through the tube and a stretch of the tube caught on fire.

I heard the smoke alarm, but didn't realize it was an alarm because it was a slow and steady beep, not really sounding like cause for alarm. The main alarm panel is right outside my window and maybe once a year the backup battery gets low and it makes the same beep until the fire department comes and fixes it. Unlike the cable/Internet where I can go fix problems outside myself, they will throw me in jail for tampering with the fire system so I have no choice but to ignore that beep even if it takes the fire department 2-3 days to get here. So, I didn't go outside to see what was going on until it was too late. Thankfully her and her sister got the fire put out on their own.

Everyone I know who smokes, whether they admit it or not, has done something like this. Years ago my mother fell asleep on her couch with a lit cigarette, luckily I was there to yank the pillow out from under her head after it caught on fire. I've lost count of how many times I've seen fires on the side of the road (and occasionally been the only one around to put them out), or seen ashtrays outside of buildings in flames because people put paper and other flamables in the ash tray.

I'm convinced that people who smoke, are retarded or something. There's something wrong with them. I don't know whether it's just that they don't care about anyone other than themselves, or they're generally stupid. I'm now afraid to be around anyone who smokes though. They're dangerous. I bet statistically, I have a higher chance of having a cigarette-induced fire kill me in my sleep than I do being murdered in a mugging.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The old guy right next door to me in my old apartment building left a pan of grease on his stove with the burner on while he fell asleep on the couch once. Eventually it lit fire and made lots of smoke, so the alarms in the whole building came on and everyone evacuated and the fire department came. Luckily the on site maintenance man came by with a fire extinguisher and got it taken care of before it got out of control.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8742
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose accidentally lit fires are not nearly as bad as intentionally lit fires.

On 28th December 2008 i walked into the building i currently live in to see that some youths had ripped off something from the wall which exposed the insulation and decided to light it on fire. They also lit the carpet as well as other parts of the wall seconds before i walkedin. Lucklily enough it was a slow burning fire and it hadn't caught onto the fibre glass insulation. If the fire had caught onto the fibre glass insulation and the carpet wasn't the way it was there is no doubt the ground floor flats would have all gone up in flames.

It certainly shocked me and my neighbours though because the area i live in is quite a good area, not known for having bad neighbours. It seems that the guilty youths were just opportunists who took advantage of the fact someone left one of the doors open in the building and selfishly and carelessly decided to leave while the building was set alight. Had i not returned when i did i would hate to have seen what happened to the building.

Not wanting to sound like a hero or anything, but i left a very strongly worded message on both the main doors which one of my neighbours also followed up on. It would have been nice to have had a "thanks" though, especially from those on the ground floor.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1127
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dad died from smoking - the effects it did on his body.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13503
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The old guy right next door to me in my old apartment building left a pan of grease on his stove with the burner on while he fell asleep on the couch once.


I wonder if he was a smoker.

Quote:
Lucklily enough it was a slow burning fire and it hadn't caught onto the fibre glass insulation. If the fire had caught onto the fibre glass insulation and the carpet wasn't the way it was there is no doubt the ground floor flats would have all gone up in flames.


I think the insulation used these days is fire retardant. It will smolder and can catch other things on fire if it gets there, but generally doesn't burst into flames like some fluffy materials do.

I wonder if those kids were smokers. I wonder if it was even kids. Maybe the building owner has a cocaine habit and tried to burn the building down for the insurance money.

Quote:
My dad died from smoking - the effects it did on his body.


I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen to my mother. She's already to the point that people think she's a man on the phone.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8742
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
Lucklily enough it was a slow burning fire and it hadn't caught onto the fibre glass insulation. If the fire had caught onto the fibre glass insulation and the carpet wasn't the way it was there is no doubt the ground floor flats would have all gone up in flames.


I think the insulation used these days is fire retardant. It will smolder and can catch other things on fire if it gets there, but generally doesn't burst into flames like some fluffy materials do.

I wonder if those kids were smokers. I wonder if it was even kids. Maybe the building owner has a cocaine habit and tried to burn the building down for the insurance money.


Definitely kids. Seen them leave the building as i was parking my car up outside. Got a bit pissed with one of them because he walked right behind my car as i was reverse parking into the space. Walked in and saw loads of skittles (def skittles and not drugs) and an empty half bottle of Vodka on the carpet, wall on fire as well as carpet on fire.

Building is owned by a company, so none of the residence in the building own the building as a whole, just the individual flats/apartments they live in, and pay a monthly fee for the upkeep.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3318
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
The old guy right next door to me in my old apartment building left a pan of grease on his stove with the burner on while he fell asleep on the couch once.


I wonder if he was a smoker.


He was just an old drunk. No joke--every time I ever saw him out in the parking lot or something he was carrying a big 24 pack of cheap Old Milwaukee beer. I think he probably passed out and didn't wake up until the smoke alarms went off.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.