Stolen Laptop

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought the story of Greg Martin was pretty interesting. I have no doubt software like this will be something people will be investing in more now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/c ... 578867.stm

I really do not know if you can see this video. It doesn't state that it is UK only, so i am assuming that you can see it wherever you are in the world. If not, let me know.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I thought the story of Greg Martin was pretty interesting. I have no doubt software like this will be something people will be investing in more now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/c ... 578867.stm

I really do not know if you can see this video. It doesn't state that it is UK only, so i am assuming that you can see it wherever you are in the world. If not, let me know.

The video works fine from sweden at least. I guess software like that could be really helpful in case of robbery but people probably don't expect to get robbed and having software like that running probably slow down PC performance (and who knows if it could be abused and used as a backdoor).

Great software but nothing to run in a business environment IMO since it most likely lowers the security and open up to possible information theft, after all it got backdoor functionality. Security can and should be solved other ways (that's just my personal opinion).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

On their website they say that their software has a few dependencies that make it barely noticeable if at all when it's running. I still don't think I need it...

It works in here in USA as well so I don't think it's blocked or based on nationality.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's probably just sports videos and all that they block outside UK plus some other TV stuff.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very interesting story, I checked out the Prey Project website, and I am sold. I think I will be installing this on my laptop as I have been worried in the past that I could lose it and then I would be out a couple thousand. Sounds like something like this could be enough to figure out who has your laptop and possibly get it back :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts