To study or not to study?

• madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

School fees are pretty expensive these days.
I have just shed my university but just wondering if it's all worth the $$.

given a chance again, I wouldnt have studied.
Studying till you get a degree is over-rated I feel. :roll:

What do you guys think?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends what degree you get. If you get a degree in "the life of david beckham" then no. And that degree actually exists :roll:

I'll be starting my degree in Electronic Engineering next year. Four year masters. If I don't do that the prospect of getting a job as an electronic engineer are pretty slim. If I do, I can be a chartered engineer before I'm thirty and be earning a pretty huge salary.

I'm voting yes for me, but <i>some</i> people do waste their time at university.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

How old r u do u mind if i'm asking rtm? I've heard in some european countries they have special program where u can earn your master straight in 4 years.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know that it's a special program, not for engineering at least, all the universities I looked at offered a 4 year Masters. It's pretty common in the uk

Thats actually what I've signed up for - I'm 19 taking a year out, then I go for a four year Masters. It actually works out slightly cheaper to do it that way than a 3yr/1yr split, plus if I change my mind I can swap onto a 3yr Bachelor's up until the end of the second year.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

school = hella lot better then real work
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

school's more interesting + meet friends.
real work=just work
not as rosy as I thought it to be ..
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My vote is yes. You can get more oprtunities with a school's degree. And I been on both sides, I left school at the age or 17 and later finished my Engineering at 30 and lost a lot of jobs because I lack of a damn certificate.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

who is david beckman?
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, im still a junior in high school, but im going for a 4-year bachelors degree in physics, and then getting my masters in spacecraft-systems engineering, with a minor in theorectical astrophysics, so hrm... yes... lots o' school for me!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh wow, sounds like loaded semesters for you. I guess you got to love it
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont get me worng, i hate school... being graded and everything sucks, but i like physics, everything is so nice, neat, and orderly... :-)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooh calendae is gonna be a rocket-scientist! :D

David beckam is the England Soccer team Captain. He's like a big celebrity over here and there is one university that offers a degree course on the life of David Beckham :roll:

I think it depends what career you want to go for. For some jobs it's worth getting into debt for, for other jobs there's just no point
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
oooh calendae is gonna be a rocket-scientist!

yup! thats me! structural design, and guidance... the two couldnt be furthur apart really, but hey! ill figure out which one i like better later... :)
  • zudo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • zudo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think elemantry-middle school is useless, we could learn that stuff in 4 years instead of 9, I think college would be a waste (we have the internet, there's tons of stuff there) if this society were better, and they based your job on your knowledge, not your peice of paper. It's going to be a waste for me though, I'm gonna try to be a master in martial arts, then go live on an island and start a country of my decendans, though, around the world I will have my legion, this world is gonna be mine!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If something is common knowledge then you can learn from the interned, but the internet is not a valid resourse for a lot of higher learning. I would not want to learn any of the stuff I did in further maths last year (matrix arithmatic, vector geometry, imaginary numbers and trigonomic/hyperbolic differential equations) without tuition. Actually I even failed the last one with tuition lol

And how do you propose we prove our knowledge, without formal testing? Employers look to a piece of paper because it is proof of knowledge.

Just because you know something, does not mean that your future employer knows that you know it. :D

BTW, I'm going for electronics and artificial intellegence, so if you want to take over the world, you are gonna have to fight off my hoards of rampaging nano-killbots first mwahahahahahahaha!!!
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm: 3+1 =4 years to get your master --> that's nice
Over here it is 4 years to get your bachelor and 2 more years to get your master. But over here, if you're smart, you can reduce it down, maybe 4.5 - 5 years.
But yes, definitely a degree is one of a few pieces of paper that are worth spending years for.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really, I never knew that, I guess it's just cos we learn a lot quicker over here :)

I just did a little googling and it looks like our A levels are considered <i>roughly</i> one or two years further then a US (I assume your location) high school diploma.

You have to have A levels before starting your degree so it does nearly even out, and skipping a year is practically unheard of in this country, even if you are <b>really</b> smart.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I'm from the U.S., easy enough.
1 question though, how many years of school would get you to A levels?
To get a hs diploma here would take 12 years in total. So most students go to college when they are 17 or turning 18.

I didn't mean skipping, but testing out of the courses. Many highschools over here offer college-level courses and during college, you can "test out" of certain courses: if you feel you know everything about the course, you can ask the department to give you a test, if you pass you will gain the credit for that course.
Hmm, i'm too sleepy, sorry for the lousy writing.
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think studying is a waste of time too. I've just finished my first year of my Computer Science Degree @ Glasgow Uni and its been such a boring / easy year for me. I think next year will be just as easy, I learnt half the stuff they are teaching over 5 years ago so i just sit and sleep in Lectures and/or play with my iPAQ PPC 8)

If i'd went the other route and started my own business rather than going to Uni, I think i'd be making the same money 4-5 years up the line with or without a degree. Then again, the risk of going to Uni is much less than starting up my business. :roll:

If you've got a dream, I say go for it and don't waste time sleeping in lecture halls all year...IMO.

whos_wee_dug?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, working IS overrated. 48 hour weeks, not much time for anything else. Sigh......... Why did I get a job again.......?

Oh yeah, I needed money. Curses! If only everything were free! :lol:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

A levels = end of 13th year.
  • mordecai
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mordecai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dude, school sucks, but untill u meet girlz. Iam a sophmore in high school of Murrow
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah girlz rock
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

A level = 13years. Ah, I see.
Let's do the math here

U.S. UK
12 12 years = HS diploma 13 13 years = A Level
4 16 years = Bachelor 3 16 years = Bachelor
2 18 years = Master 1 17 years = Master
2-4 20-22 years = PhD ???????
(years of studying)

That's crazy. 17-18 years of school to get your master degree. And if you pursue a PhD degree, it would be 20-22 years of your life. That's like 1/4 (that if you live until you turn 80) of you life spent sitting at school. Those years should better be worth it.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

PErsonally, I went through high school and grade shcool w/o lifting a finger and Ive gotten by fine, but Im working 2 jobs atm to afford tuition and living expenses, but I really have no idea if this will all be worth it or not. Im not even entirely sure what I want to do for a living yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts