7 days a week for 1+ hours

TV Sucks!!

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate TV! I watch TV like once every month and only when it's MTV 2. Even then it is only like for 15 minutes tops! TV was cool when it first came out but now it is just WAY overrated. Adults come home and turn on the TV like it is their AC in the middle of summer. They don't exercise or hang-out with friends or family anymore.....just hang-out staring at a lighted screen. I am not saying that some of the show on TV aren't good, it is more of the way they are presented. TV shows are no longer for entertainment. They are used strictly to pull people in front of advertising. If I didn't know better I would believe that advertisers invented the TV. Baseball stadiums advertised using banners and such back then too and when TV came out their sales increased because people saw the banners at their favorite team's stadium or what not on TV. Ever since, TV has become more and more expensive with more and more spam!!! Yes.....SPAM!!!! It isn't even ethical advertising anymore...it is a cut-throat-get-it-to-the-customers-and-jam-it-down-their-throats race.

Movies, however, are created to please people. They make their money off of making people more entertained. They don't spam you every 15 minutes while in the theater to make money! Maybe TV should be a pay per show or pay per series thing. Not only would this make big shows money and keep TV companies in business; but it would also decrease the hours families spend in front of the TV each day. They would watch a few shows for a few dollars without having to bother with spam and then they could move on to doing something else.

What do you all think???
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Movies, however, are created to please people.

HAHAHAHA!!!

No they're not! They created to make a profit. Either on $8 theater seats, or sales of the collector's edition DVD with the 30 minutes of extra footage, interviews, and out-takes.

No commercials in movies? Wrong!!! Ever heard of 'product placement'? You think the actor is drinking a "Bud" by accident? Remember the flap about the producers of "Spiderman" replacing all the billboards in the Times Square shots?

C'mon...

BTW: I watch less than 2 hours of TV per weak. Not because of adverts, but because I don't care for any of the 53 reality-shows on.
  • fional24
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • fional24
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about all of the adverts before the film?

At least with tv you can turn the adverts off, in the cinema you're stuck watching them until the film you want to see comes on.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
BTW: I watch less than 2 hours of TV per weak. Not because of adverts, but because I don't care for any of the 53 reality-shows on.

In the uk we have a gameshow called have I "got news for you", topical newsquiz thing with regular panalists. A couple of weeks back one of them sugested that TV execs no pull a set of words from a hat and commisions programmes based on that.

Look at the names of some of those reality tv shows and the idea seems worryingly truthful.

I rarely watch television. I sometimes watch some cartoons (looney toons and dangermouse on boomerang :D ) and have recently watched the first three series of babylon 5 on DVD.

I can see truce's point about cinema though. At least the ads aren't so spamful, product placement may be a commercial sell out, but at least it's not as in-your face and every 15 mins. I never go into the actual cinema bit until at least 10 mins after the announced start time, so I can avoid the ads, and arive just in time for the trailers, which I kinda like to see.

TV nowadays does suck. But so do most magazines and even the newspapers. There was a paper in the last couple of days moaning that Britain's youth had a "disgraceful ignorance" because most of them know little about d-day. It's no wonder people don't know about the real world when they are force-fed celebrety "news" stories, and so-called reality TV in the media every day.

And please don't get me started on soap operas :twisted:
  • fional24
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • fional24

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:

And please don't get me started on soap operas :twisted:

Awww, I miss Sunset Beach haha!

:D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I watch way too much t.v.

It is really frying my brain. I conducted a little experiment some years ago, and forced myslef not to watch t.v. at all for a month. It is pretty erie how your how outlook and attitudes change.
  • fional24
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • fional24

Post 3+ Months Ago

what did you learn from the experience?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol apparently nothing, cause I still watch it
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

tv's essential for me. Can't live without it man!
8)
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have tivo, dear god it cuts out ads, I love that machine

*hugs the tivo*
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Saying u hate TV is pretty odd, considering the amount of stuff on TV. I only really watch if there is a good movie on, I hate the new movies that everyone seems to enjoy, just watching mindless destruction of property with no plot what-so-ever.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love watching tv and ads too. lol. sometimes ads are really funny. I juz leave the tv on and play with my computer. when something interesting is playing on tv, i juz watch it.:-)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I watch TV everyonce in a while, but only on the weekends. I like some of the comedy shows on, and the history channel normally has somthing interesting on. Other than that Im always in front of my computer. I look at a screen either way, so it doenst really matter anyways.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I like some of the comedy shows on, and the history channel normally has somthing interesting on. Other than that Im always in front of my computer. I look at a screen either way, so it doenst really matter anyways.

yep.. same here. commedies- I tend to forget what's playing on tv anyway so might as well leave it on and surf the net,
no reality tv fer me-hate em
everybody loves raymond is real good. oh oh oh."my wife and kids" :lol:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well how could I miss the new show 'red and meth?'
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am quite a TV addict. If i am on the computer i always have the telly on. This is mainly coz i like to have background noise and dont like sitting in silent.

TV addmitidly does have to many ads but like some one said. They can be quite funny and ads are everywhere you look. You just got to go on the internet to see this,

I also make sure that i go in the cinema 10 mins late so that i only have to watch the film trailors as they can be quite good :wink:
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

same here. ten mins earlier n telly on most of the time. Juz make sure my tv comes with 3-5 years warranty! lol.
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

tvs *plum*
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only time that i ever watch tv is... um.... when startrek or stargate is on... *my two favorite shows :wink:
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
TV was cool when it first came out

Really? I don't remember that... it was a bit before my time =]

Anyway, I watched Angel, which (damn it) is no longer, and I watch Star Trek Enterprise (only episodes I haven't seen, which is none as far as I know). Other than that, I avoid TV. My wife watches a lot of TV, and not good shows either... crap like American Idol (gag!) or The Bachelor...

I also like Alias, but I only catch it every so often. We don't waste out money on cable tv, so it could be that's why all the shows suck... heh. I have NetFlix, which rocks by the way. I prefer watching movies, for the most part, to television. I spend most of my time working on my house... can't watch the tele while operating a circular saw... at least not if one wants to keep their hand =]

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts