Suicide

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last night one of my friends committed suicide. Truly it's a terrible thing which ever way you look at it ... I don't see how the world could feel so cold/dark/lonely/sad/terrible/scary/daunting that a person could even think about killing himself/herself ... And then even if it does, why can't a person then speak up to someone (anyone) and try and figure it out instead of doing something like that. And also, I always feel very empty in situations like these where I am confronted with the direct family of such individuals, with absolutely no words to say to them ... Sad.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

That truly is sad :( I can't imagine any circumstance that would drive me to that extremity ... my condolences to you and your friend's family.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have my complete sympathy. That is a horrible thing to try to imagine what your friend was going through and wondering if you could have done anything.

Having lost a close friend last year, I know what you mean about not having any words to say. I found a sympathetic touch or hug was usually better than trying to fumble around with words that would never express your feelings on the situation.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I know what you mean about not having any words to say. I found a sympathetic touch or hug was usually better than trying to fumble around with words that would never express your feelings on the situation.

Yeah I found that to be better aswell ...

digitalMedia wrote:
That is a horrible thing to try to imagine what your friend was going through and wondering if you could have done anything.

How I feel about it is, if I could've done something, I would've, but I am no mind-reader, no Mel Gibson, so I couldn't have done anything differently except if he had spoken up about it ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did they do it ?

I don't mean to intrude, I'd just like to try and understand the situation. :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a car with the exhaust fumes coming into the car through a hose pipe ... he died from inhaling too many of the fumes ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was the radio on ?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately I have no idea, I wasn't there to see what exactly was happening, I was at home and his brother phoned me and told me the news, I am only seeing them tonight ... What would the significance be if the radio is/was on or not?
  • asson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • asson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please accept my condolences.
It's very awful story. Don't know what to say.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really wish I could say I know what you are going through, but I can't. The only real close friend of mine I ever lost died in a house fire from smoke inhalation. I was kinda troubled by her death but the thing that was even worse was the front page of the news paper the next day. They had a huge picture of her best friend's brother holding her best friend tight while she screamed and in the background there were firemen laying a white sheet over a body. That actually made me really angry that they had disrespect to publish that photo.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
What would the significance be if the radio is/was on or not?

Sometimes people leave behind messages for the ones they love in inconspicuous places.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah I see, I know that there was a note to his parents (or probably anyone that would want to read it) ... I haven't got to that yet though ... still stuck at work ... only an hour fifteen to go though ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really sorry to hear this R_T. Like others have stated, it's really hard to imagine how difficult this is on yourself and his family. :(

As for what he would have been thinking? it's hard to tell, but sometimes when you have alot of fear and sadness you sort of close up to the extent where you believe nobody would care about the feelings you might have. After time you start to lose the fear of death and it becomes a very real situation. I only say this because to a certain extent i had these very same feelings (and still do) as recently as last month.

I hope in all that has happened you can all see some meaning behind the situation, it really must suck not knowing why he chose to do this. Whatever you do, don't blame yourself for "not being there", it's not your or anyone elses fault.

Regarding Kc0tma's comment regarding press intrusion...i know exactly what you mean. In December 2002 it was the night of the school prom at my school, everyone was looking forward to it as you'd imagine and we all got dressed up and met at the school. Our school didn't go along the whole limo thing, we all got on the same bus to the venue. Prior to us all getting on the bus a girl in my school year (the girl EVERYONE loved) was having an asthma attack. We all jumped onto the bus, went to the venue, had a meal and just before desert we got told that the girl who was having the asthma attack had died. No words could ever discribe how sad everyone was, i must stress that she was such a lovable girl and nobody had a bad thing to say about her. The next morning the press from all over the country were knocking on the doors of her friends and family to get some words for their article, there were TV cameras outside the building and photographers hovering around too trying to get photos. Everybody was sickened by the intrusion they were having, i mean we all knew that they were just doing there job but to be as disrespectful as they were to knock and ask questions when the death was so sudden and fresh in mind seemed a little cold.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use to work at the local tv station before my current job, and I will admit that my coworkers and I always jumped on the opportunity to get a good shot or to get the most details on the latest hot story, but I always kept my videos tasteful. On example was when a guy murdered his wife, I just happened to be in the neighborhood with a camera so they had me stop and shoot some video, and back in the alley they state patrol had their CSI truck and everything and in the yard they had a little temporary wall set up. I imagine that was the scene of the crime, so I made sure to only get wider, less objective shots because I remembered seeing my friends on the front page of the paper.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts