Texting more dangerous than Jack Daniels.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Texting while driving can be more dangerous than driving while swigging Jack Daniels, according to studies."

Read more: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/10 ... z11ZzkPIeJ

I find it amazing that people actually text while driving. Even the slightest amount of intelligence should clue you in that it isn't a safe practice.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did they actually give people jack daniels one day, a cell phone the next day, put them behind the wheel & monitor the driving? Why just jack daniels? They should have given them grappa.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate all these "studies". They are usually done by somebody that knows what result they want and guess what..... they get that result.

I just read another study that said that vehicle accidents across the board are lower now then they have ever been.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will admit to having texted before while driving, but since getting my iPhone i have not bothered as you really need to see the screen to know what you are typing.

Is it still legally okay to use phones while at the wheel of a vehicle in the US? When i was in Canada in 2006 it was still okay then, i assumed America was much the same. Surely it's now illegal? it's clearly not safe to be driving while on the phone.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on the state. I can vouch that it's now illegal in New York, Pennsylvania, and (I think) Washington. Other states still allow it.

Edit: a quick search led me to this table; sorry I don't have any gov references handy at the moment
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can confirm it's illegal in Pennsylvania, but people still do it anyway.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here. What really pisses me off is when I look in my rear-view mirror and see the guy behind me slam on the brakes because he was paying more attention to his damn phone than the location of me ahead of him.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Illegal in Arizona and Colorado, I can confirm those two.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

my colleague texts and phones a lot while he drives long-distance, and it does unnerve me sometimes, even though I'm a pretty phlegmatic shotgun passenger. But I can just see his concentration going sometimes, and he does have to swerve and avoid oncoming traffic when he gets carried away. Like, hello.

in terms of studies and statistics, I dug the one in that cool book Freakonomics (or maybe it was in part two, Superfreakonomics?) that says that common wisdom isn't always right... so for instance if you go to a party and get drunk, a friend might think he's doing you a favor by hijacking your car keys and making you walk home. But in fact, statistically you have a better chance of getting home safe in your car, then you do walking while you're drunk - i.e. more drunk pedestrians get hurt than drunk drivers. Soooo if you've only got your own interests at heart, driving is still a better option. It's a fun book :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That could only happen to air heads who don't keep their car keys in their pocket. Trying to hijack my keys could result in injury & it wouldn't be mine.
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Jupiter, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

The article is no longer there :(

Florida has no laws what-so-ever to ban cell phone use, and I think it's horrible. While I'm driving all I see is people texting and talking on the phone. We need some kind of laws in Florida even to limit the amount of people doing this.

As for the drinking and driving, it's called a cab. What costs more, $40(max) for a taxi home and then back to the party the next day to get your car, or your life (and possibly others)?

I'm not going to lie and say I haven't done any of these things, in fact I've done all three, but I try my best to avoid them. I try to text before I get in my car and then keep my phone in my pocket until I get to my destination. If I know I'm going to party, I'll try to take a DD with me, or sleep for a couple hours in my car, or even go for a walk until I sober up before driving home. Little things like this can save lives.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a comedian on the TV the other night here talking about how drinking and driving was not actually a bad thing, as was the same with driving while talking on the phone. Statistically people driving without alcohol on them and driving while on the phone caused less deaths than when driving under the influence or using their phones.

I do try to make a point and no listen too much into the statistics these comedians come up with, but assuming he is correct then it does make quite a good point for these laws to be nulified ( :lol: ).
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Even the slightest amount of intelligence should clue you in that it isn't a safe practice.

LOL, tell that to a teenager! :lol:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's hard to convince people not to talk on the phone while driving when cops are seen doing exactly that. I've often thought of starting a web site where people could upload pics of cops driving while conversing on the phone.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a little test you can do yourself... cover one eye while driving and just drive with only one eye open... that already will remove some of your coordination. Don't do it too long though and not on a busy road.

You're not texting or driving drunk, but that will already disorientate you or hurt your driving abilities.

I don't see a problem with talking while driving, but there is a huge problem with texting while driving... that is the Thing That Should Not Be.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Talking while driving causes one to see what's behind their eyes instead of what's in front of them. You are picturing the person on the other end instead of watching the road.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Talking while driving causes one to see what's behind their eyes instead of what's in front of them. You are picturing the person on the other end instead of watching the road.

^^this.

It's a matter of split attention. Any time you're splitting attention between two important tasks, both will suffer.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Don2007 wrote:

^^this.

It's a matter of split attention. Any time you're splitting attention between two important tasks, both will suffer.

I've never had problems with talking and driving...Once I was driving and talking and a car pulled into my lane from a gas station, so I had to dodge that car... I did that just as well as I would have while I was talking.

Obviously for that split second when the car pulled in my lane I stopped talking, but I didn't hang up and I didn't resume talking until I was safely on the other lane. I consider myself to be a safe and responsible driver even when I'm talking.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the problem. Everyone considers themselves safe even when they are talking. Guess what! They aren't safe.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I consider myself to be a safe and responsible driver even when I'm talking.

Tell that to the mother of the child you accidentally hit when he runs in front of you while you're on the phone. Reaction time goes WAY down when divided attention comes into play.
  • Steve-Hostirian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: St. Louis MO 63146

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have never texted while driving, but I do talk a lot (hands free).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts