Thank you Obama

• dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

$76,000.

That is how much our district got from stimulus.
It is greatly needed.

But what? It is only for Title1/Special Ed?
Why are there special interests directing the stimulus to schools?

Those 2 programs are already running a surplus, we are buying laptop carts with 8-10 laptops each every year, we are giving new computers to the teachers and two stations in each room, newer than every other staff/student machine.

If we don't spend it, we don't get it next year is the way it goes. So this stimulus is directed only at the "special" kids, and isn't a benefit for the school at all.

Why is 1/4 of the school budget "special ed" when less than 5% of the students see the staff/equipment? It is sad, really. The board/administrator cannot do anything about it. The district's tax money is taken by the state (and added by the state 1:1 iirc) for "special ed" and given a coordinator over it so the district has to ask to use the money.

Just wanted you to know when the news says each school district gets money, that you know the truth, your local district only gets to spend that money for those two programs (if you have title1, if not it will be another "special" program).

It disgusts me that I have to try to find ways to make it "look" like it is going to special ed, but actually can be used by the schools.

How do you foreigners deal with special ed kids that need a full time aide to follow them around?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was smart, telling everyone that you make it "look like" it's being used for special ed when it really isn't. The Feds are on the way to Rice Lake right now.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wait, I'm not sure if I understand what your saying. How big is your district? And is that money only to go to buying new equipment?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Retarded or gifted special ?

I guess it really doesn't make a difference, either group probably has a higher precentage of students who actually want to be at school than regular classes do.

At least with the "special" classes, we know the dollars spent are actually not going to waste. I'd rather take a retarded kid to a museum than buy a regular student a set of books they're just going to leave on the bus or tear up.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

That money is approx double the amount we get to use for computer replacement. We are pushing 7 years on some machines, trying to get to 5 year rotation.

That money is going for equipment of title1/spec ed only.
The gifted/talented program is not eligible. The one teacher we had for that program was reassigned this year for title1, and the g/t has disappeared.

Joebert, true the # of F's is very high this year for 9th graders, they don't want to work, be here, etc.
The "special" kids cannot be grouped together as "wanting to be here" though either. They already do things that normal kids cannot, like leave during the day and go bowling, etc.

There are currently 7 handicapped kids in the HS. Of those, 3 have full time aides following them around. There are two certified staff assigned to that room as well.

Only 2 of the 7 kids show any hope of self reliance once they leave school. Why are the other 5 there? Are they learning? Not really.
They created a law of "inclusion" to keep "special" kids mixed with regular kids, which closed down the two schools specifically designed for these types of kids. So instead of having a safer place, with staff trained for spec ed, you have them going to art with scissors, distracting the rest of the kids.

We mostly provide babysitting service. Unfortunately it seems this "stimulus" money is going just for that. And like I stated before, this "program" already is running a surplus! We are spending the extra on mobile labs!

I find ways to do it, I don't approve them, that's the superintendent's role.
Sorry, not rice lake, nice attempt though.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a strange feeling that keeping all of the kids together is less costly and can still be just as effective as having an entire school dedicated to the special kids.

Are we sure that there are not any other spending plans scheduled for later that effect the rest of the school programs ?
It would probably not be fun to re-shuffle fund allocation again later to keep things fair.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure Joebert, nothing has been mentioned other than this.

As far as keeping the kids together or dispersing them to other schools, it would seem to me inclusion is costing more money due to the teaching issue. There will always be the aide that helps the severely disabled child move and such, but the mildly disabled kids have a 4:1 ratio here, kids per aide. They stay in the classroom most of the day and then go to other classes like art.

So for each of the 3 schools there are 1 teachers and 2 aides standard. 7 high school kids, 3 w/special needs, 4 ms kids, none special needs, and 4 elementary kids, 2 w/special needs.

So staffing for the 3 rooms are, 3 teachers, 6 aides, 5 special needs aides.

If that were consolidated to one school 14 kids, 2 teachers (probably 1 could do it) 4 regular aides for the 15 kids, and the 5 special full time needs aides, is 9 aides.

Already cut two staff, and 1-2 teachers. And, every staff member would be trained for spec ed, whereas you have regular teachers having to work with them in a mixed environment.

Plus the school that they closed down was made especially for wheelchair access, armbars in all the bathrooms, etc.

What changed it all in WI was when an activist group for "equal education" lobbied that they wouldn't have to go to the special school, but to regular schools.

Is it working? Not sure, they sit in their rooms all day except for one period, and then eat lunch with regular students. If that is an "improvement" over their school, I doubt it.

I don't get why parents would want to trade specialized treatment in a facility for a regular school?

If it was their own health condition, they sure as heck wouldn't want major surgery done by a general doctor in a clinic. But that is what they are doing with their kids.

I do hope other money does come, not earmarked as such, but there has been no indication, this is the "stimulus plan" money.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts