The best time of the year

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone else here really see the New Year as a time for a refresh and restart?

For the last few years i've taken the "new years resolution" quite seriously and always made some plans for the year and because they are things i have wanted i have made a point in achieving them. As a result my life has changed and improved considerably and it's only just this last few months that things have become great and personally i feel very relaxed.

I think it's important to think of what you really hope for and actually go out and just do it. This new year i am going to set a target to achieve one of the biggest things in life i can hope for, however i am not giving myself just one year to do it. Over the next couple of years i hope to own my first home, but i understand that in order to do it i need to either be promoted in my current work or find another job that will help in getting a mortgage.

With the current economic issues going around i figured it's as good a time now than ever to go ahead and purchase something while the price in property is dropping. So, why not?

Who here makes resolutions? and do you achieve them?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've felt pretty damn good these last couple of months too. I've done a lot to improve my health, I'm becoming more self sufficient and relying less on others, I have the BEST freaking girlfriend in the whole wide world, tonight is the disturbed concert, life is generally good!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, but it's hard for me to carry out the resolutions I make on the New Years because I forget things.

But this time I'm going to change that :D But generally I'm feeling good right now.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, you will never forget the things you really want. This is why when making a resolution it should be to do something or achieve something you deep down really want.

If the achievement is so big then you really need to look at how you can break it down and aim forward towards what it is you are really after.

I used to hear people tell me how easy it is to do things and all that and i never understood. It didn't make alot of sense, but if you have the right mentality and you really genuinely have discovered what it is you are after then there is only one person stopping you from achieving it and that is you.

So, don't just say something like "i want to stop smoking" just because it is something you feel you should do. If you genuinely want to stop smoking then you are going to make a concerted effort to do it, but you need to have the will power.

The will power is what will determine how far you will go in life. Yet when you think about it, it really isn't that hard. If you go into something thinking you are going to fail then there is a fair chance you might just do that, but if you go into something with a level head and face any challenges (even if they appear very defeatist) then you can pull through.

On that very inspirational like note i really have to log off and hit the sack as tomorrow i face my next challenge - work! :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If the achievement is so big then you really need to look at how you can break it down and aim forward towards what it is you are really after.

That's not always such a good idea.

A few years ago my new years resolution was to be dating a super model by the end of the year.
I knew a super model was out of my league, but I figured I could break the task down into steps ultimately leading up to getting the girl of my dreams.

None of the girls I dated appreciated it one bit when everything was going great and I suddenly left them for a step up on my quest for a super model. Now not only am I not dating a super model, I've got half a dozen stalkers and I'm afraid to answer the door when I order pizza.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:

That's not always such a good idea.

A few years ago my new years resolution was to be dating a super model by the end of the year.
I knew a super model was out of my league, but I figured I could break the task down into steps ultimately leading up to getting the girl of my dreams.

None of the girls I dated appreciated it one bit when everything was going great and I suddenly left them for a step up on my quest for a super model. Now not only am I not dating a super model, I've got half a dozen stalkers and I'm afraid to answer the door when I order pizza.

lol

@SB: That makes sense. I've always thought that it was that type of problem but never really sat down and thought long and hard about that. I'll probably do that before going to bed tonight.

I already have one resolution on my mind and I'm all for it and ready to strive for that. After all, I should start somewhere, and if it's not something big, let it be small... better then nothing in my opinion :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
See, you will never forget the things you really want. This is why when making a resolution it should be to do something or achieve something you deep down really want.

That's pretty much exactly why I never make New Years resolutions. When I want to do something I just go do it. Doesn't matter what time of the year it is. I don't see New Years as some "magical" day when a resolution to do something is any more special than any other day of the year.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
SB wrote:

That's pretty much exactly why I never make New Years resolutions. When I want to do something I just go do it. Doesn't matter what time of the year it is. I don't see New Years as some "magical" day when a resolution to do something is any more special than any other day of the year.

It's more about the promise :lol:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
SB wrote:

I agree with you here, I didn't wait until New Year to stop smoking, I just did it, and so did you. I think when I want to do something, I do it immediately.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it doesn't have to be new years. For me it seems to be, and some of the resolutions i make now will probably not be achieved due to other plans i make over the course of the year.

Take for example 2006, i thought i needed to make some big changes in my life. At the beginning of the year i was working two jobs i didn't like, not earning much money and still living at home with my parents. I knew this had to change. Initially i was just going to go do some travelling of Canada, i really wanted to head there but it made sense to kill some other birds with one stone so in February it had all changed to where i was going to study in Edinburgh and go to Canada on holiday instead.

So, whilst i looked at the new year as being a new beginning it wasn't really until a month or two later that i had changed the plans and started a fresh with some new ideas.

Heck, if we can look at Christmas as an annual time to spend time with family and have some fun then i'll look at the New years as a time for new beginnings even if it really has no major significance.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course you can make a big change on any day - but tying it to a significant day can help some people prepare for a big change. So instead of saying, for instance, hmm it's tuesday today - I think I'll quit my job! it can be more gentle to your system if you say to yourself 'okay, this job isn't working for me any more - if I resolve to change it in the new year, I can spend the time leading up to the holidays thinking about what I'd really want to do and drawing up some strategies for looking for my next position, then I'll give my 2 weeks' notice and tell everyone I want to do something new in the new year, then I'll spend december casually job hunting, and if nothing good turns up I'll start searching in earnest once I've got all that spare time from the beginning of january.' just seems more manageable when you do it that way I guess...
Quote:
None of the girls I dated appreciated it one bit when everything was going great and I suddenly left them for a step up on my quest for a super model. Now not only am I not dating a super model, I've got half a dozen stalkers and I'm afraid to answer the door when I order pizza

You're doing it wrong, joe :D I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I can feel it in my nervous system............
  • Staed
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always see the New Year as a new start and the beginning of something great and new.
Trying to spend so that you feel self-satisfied with what you have done.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts