The Current State of Stuff

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to Google Trends, the number of people searching for stuff has been in a steady decline since at least 2004. Meanwhile, the amount of stuff in the news has been on a steady rise. Currently, New Zealand searches for stuff about three times as much as any other country. City-wise, Auckland and North Shore, both in New Zealand, lead the world in terms of how much stuff they look for. Most people looking for stuff are doing so in English, followed by Swedish.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

leave it to Joebert to find that kind of stuff.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Searching for things seems to be more popular than searching for stuff.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you know that things and stuff translated to Dutch, the second most popular language for people to search for things, is "dingen en dingen" ?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, you guys mean searching for the word 'stuff' and 'thing'? :lol:
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Did you know that things and stuff translated to Dutch, the second most popular language for people to search for things, is "dingen en dingen" ?

wait, dutch or swedish? second most popular search language, I mean.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would appear that today there are more people searching for things in Swedish than stuff in Dutch.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

so it changes day to day? they must be neck and neck then.

funny I'd imagine it would be something like indian or chinese, seeing as how widely it's spoken. Or spanish. But I guess all of those cover huge swathes of people who live in poor conditions with no internet access. In sweden and holland every household has an average of 4.7 internet-ready computers I bet :D

Interesting though about the number of searches going down. What could that be attributed to. Are we getting tired of playing with search engines and typing in random stuff? Has the novelty worn off and have we started only searching for stuff we actually need? Are our areas of interest shrinking? Is it becoming easier to find things and thus we take fewer searches to get to the results we need?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have read this topic several times now and i still have no idea what you are all on about :hmm:
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I have read this topic several times now and i still have no idea what you are all on about :hmm:

I think this goes to your credit really :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, but French appears to be better for finding distractions and if you're wondering who is looking for busy people that would be Tagalog which in case you're wondering, is spoken in the Philippines.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is so random and strange :D

I've missed talking to you, Joe. You do awesome structured randomness.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you have 3 younger siblings asking you questions all of the time, randomness begins to come naturally. They figure that out quick too, so it has to at least make some sense.

--

People seem to look for what's right 11x as often as people are looking for what's left. However, there's 48x more people looking for a lefty than there are looking for a righty.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
People seem to look for what's right 11x as often as people are looking for what's left. However, there's 48x more people looking for a lefty than there are looking for a righty.

That might be because "right" has two definitions... the direction, and a synonym to "correct" while "righty" only means right handed. Also, I think it's a bit more rare to be left-handed then to be a right-handed, so searching for left-handed is search more often... kinda makes sense.

[EDIT] Unless you meant people are searching for "what's right" over "what's left".
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Jupiter, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys have WWWAAAAYYYY too much time on your hands :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'd be surprised just how much one can learn from Google Trends. :)
  • Steve-Hostirian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: St. Louis MO 63146

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did notice that the term 'dedicated servers' has spiked upward in the last couple of years. I think the term 'stuff' has declined because surfers are more in tune with the way search engines return results today.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts