The Future, as I See it

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a forward, I direct you to Thomas Edison VS George Westinghouse, AKA AC Power VS DC Power.

I believe that age old knowledge of AC being better than DC is going to change in my life time. Reason being, more and more of the things we use in our homes operate on low voltage DC power. Also, we are coming to a point where direct current power generation via solar and other means at our homes is feasible, getting rid of a dependence on a central power company, and the need to "step up" voltage to transmit it over long distances.

Just about every piece of electronics in the home has an AC to DC transformer in it. All of the devices you carry with you run on DC power, every one of them has an AC to DC transformer in it's charger. Google is already looking at this as you can see by their transphorm product, and prior by their specialized server design.

Solar power generates DC current. I like what I've seen with solar power generation in recent years. I believe solar power is going to become much more common, but the major breakthrough is going to come in the form of either a spray on 3-4 coat "solar paint", which is possible if someone can find a durable electrolyte, or via mass produced solar roof tiles similar in appearance to the Spanish clay/concrete tiles used on roofs today. However it's done, the key is going to be turning the entire roof into a solar collector and being able to tap into that collector from multiple points inside the home. Without compromising the aesthetics of the home.

People in Arizona and Florida are likely going to see this before anyone else in America.

This is going to require advancements in batteries to store solar generated DC power during non-sunny times. This will either come from the automotive industry to solar, or solar to the auto industry. In either case, it will give rise to specialized control circuits.

The incandescent light bulb is already being phased out. Compact Florescent (CFL) bulbs will be next in favor of DC powered, efficient LED bulbs. Power outtages causing people to light candles, and backup emergency lights will be a thing of the past, for the lighting systems will basically function like an emergency light system by default.

No more needing an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for your home network, because the solar power system, will function as the UPS.

The power company will be replaced by one who manufacturers circuits which allow neighbors to share power with eachother, and work out their trade agreements amongst themselves online. This will not be a traditional utility company. Their business model will rely on sales of products, servicing those products, and perhaps administration fees for brokering the exchange between citizens.

The recent rise of touch screen mobile computing platforms, and "apps" to do things like unlock your door, turn your lights on/off, and view home surveillance cameras will eventually give rise to a focus on more aesthetically pleasing, clean cut home electronics and appliances. We will no longer have a pile of devices with buttons on them and 5 remote controls under the television. we will have a network closet with rack mount electronics which are controlled via the home network.

The only things we will see are displays for information. No sensors. No inputs. Displays will do double duty as touch screen inputs. Speech recognition will advance off of our phones and into our home's rooms. We will ask Siri less often how to do something, and more often to actually do things like turn lights on/off.

Every inch of the home will be monitored by video cameras. Someone, likely Google given their recent focus of imaging patents and image recognition, will make the breakthrough that alerts the fire department to smoke, automatically turn on lights to a given level depending on who just entered a room, recognize a shivering person and turn the air conditioning off, identify an intruder in the home and act accordingly, etc. Image recognition will be a big part of the future.

We will no longer buy unprocessed foods from the grocery store. We will buy fresh foods, but they will be pre-processed. For instance bell peppers will come in a cartridge pre-chopped, pre-sliced, etc and our fridge will dispense what we need as well as predict what we need delivered by learning our eating habits and automating our diets. Our choice in what we eat will be presentation. Our fridges will communicate with farmers, who will automate crop production more efficiently with access to endpoint demand, sans-waste, and deliver. Crop production will more indoors with advances in hydroponic gardening, protecting food from insects, us from pesticides, and everything from the elements.

Well, I'm starting to wander, and have other things to attend to. So I'm going to step away for now. Hopefully I've inspired you in some way. :)
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh my... Great post! And very inspiring...
  • Nuckelsboy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nuckelsboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you a timetraveler ? heh, gj..awesome post
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No he is not a time traveler, is just that his train of thoughts runs faster than most of ours hehe

Great post Joe :wink:
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reminds of Martian Chronic)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully some of that does not go into fruition, and some does. I don't like that fridge idea, but the solar light thing seems pretty nice.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts