Is the iPhone coming to Verizon?

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's a lot of bustle in the media this morning over a possible "non-iPhone" implementation meant to land in Verizon's hands. An iPhone lite, if you will, along with a 'media pad' are being mentioned as possible new devices. Why the "non" portion in the name? With AT&T currently under contract with Apple as the sole representative of "all models" of the iPhone, Verizon is left out in the rain. However, if a non-iPhone were developed, then it's possible they could legitimately sell this product to Verizon.

Is Verizon the best possible carrier to make this deal with? Their CDMA network differs from AT&T and Sprint, but they're a very large company with a huge following (I'm on Verizon myself) & a new LTE network on the rise. No deals have been made yet & discussions point to 2010, but this is certainly one to watch.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find this highly unlikely until after verizon switches to the LTE network. Apple is historically very unwilling to support older technology like CDMA since they want to bring a bleeding edge experience.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cingular is AT&T now isn't it ?

It's strange to hear about how many people have coverage problems with AT&T and their iPhone. I use T-Mobile and in the blue-moon occasion I don't have a signal I can almost always manually set my phone to use the Cingular network. It's been awhile since I've had to do it though so I don't know if it still shows up as Cingular or AT&T.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never have an issue with verizon short of hunting trips or something else landing me out in the boondocks - their commercials don't lie, I can hear him now. :)

Will be interesting to see how whatever they send over affects the availability.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use AT&T and I haven't had any coverage problems in SC, NC, GA or eastern TN...but I don't have an iPhone either.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
I find this highly unlikely until after verizon switches to the LTE network. Apple is historically very unwilling to support older technology like CDMA since they want to bring a bleeding edge experience.

Well, other than the touchscreen, I wouldn't exactly call the iPhone "Bleeding Edge":

Not to mention that Verizon is the largest wireless network, with the most subscribers, and the highest revenue of any US wireless network. It make sense for Apple to at least be looking at Verizon.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just saying that as of right now Verizon is running on very old technology and its not like Apple to push their products toward systems that are old or different from the standard.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's probably true, but Verizon is talking about a fully functional LTE by next year, which, coincidentally, is when AT&T's contracts come up to play.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts