The "Mojave Experiement"

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

Kind of interesting, I've never really had much problem with vista. I waitied for SP1 to come out before I even installed it so I dont really know what the original was like.

Quote:
To let small business know what Microsoft Windows Vista (with Service Pack 1) can do. We venture to the edges of media.

http://www.bamideas.com/ :lol:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMW that is excellent ... nice find SpooF ... I have not had problems either ... it's really cool actually, but it may be because I have new hardware and thus everything works ... I'm not sure ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to check this out when the boss leaves the room so I can turn my speakers on. It looks very intriguing.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always tried to explain to everyone that asks that MS Win Vista isn't as bad as people make it out to be ... most people just moan because it puts them out of their comfort zone, I like going out of my comfort zone and discovering new things ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly, R_T. Vista is not XP, period. People loved XP, and when MS marketed vista as having all these wicked 3d graffics and the aeroglass and other hi tech features, people failed to realize that it is a whole new operating system. So when they went to use their old software or old hardware with the shiny new operating system, ta da! It didn't work, it wasn't suppose to work. I'm not a vista fan, I've only tinkered around with it a few times, but I will still defend it against the nuckle heads who need to think outside the box a little.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to try the same thing here without telling people it's vista, and see if I get a different response from them ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

To take this topic further off topic let me say that I have Vista Ultimate running on a 6 year old PC with no issues. It has a 2.8GHz P4, 1 GB of Corsair RAM, ATi Radeon 9700 Pro (AGP) and a Creative Soundblaster Audigy soundcard. Keep in mind I am not a gamer so that may be why I have no issues. The only complaint I have is I wish apps would load a bit faster but that would probably be fixed by adding more RAM. Also Creative's driver support for Vista is horrible. Other than that the PC runs like a champ.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

For those that have Vista, would you say upgrading from XP to Vista is a worthwhile upgrade? I have always heard negative things about Vista as well and have never tried it mainly because of that. Productivity wise has it helped you? Or is it more for the wow factor? or for the security?

I have been extremely happy with XP, and thus need a really good reason to upgrade if I were to.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
For those that have Vista, would you say upgrading from XP to Vista is a worthwhile upgrade? I have always heard negative things about Vista as well and have never tried it mainly because of that. Productivity wise has it helped you? Or is it more for the wow factor? or for the security?

I have been extremely happy with XP, and thus need a really good reason to upgrade if I were to.

Second that. I've always said I wouldn't switch until SP2 was out.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vista I think is mostly all right. You just have to know that Vista is not XP and it never will be. They are apples and oranges, so if you use vista but want xp that is when people get fussy about it.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing I like about vista besides the security and the Wow factor is the organization. They turned "My Documents" more into a "My Folders". Inside you will find folders such as documents, music, video, pictures and some more. I like it a lot more than the My Documents folder in XP that contains everything. I'm not sure about you but I find that if I work in a more attractive environment I feel better and work better. Vista provides that with its new clean look.

However, if your looking at upgrading you might think about waiting for windows 7 to be release. Either get it or wait for vista to drop by half.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is the biggest thing keeping me from getting vista for myself is the cost. I know it has come down some since its initial release, but it is still pricey.

For the My Folders \ My Documents, I like the golden oldie of just a /home/username that you find on most linux systems. If you want a folder for pictures of your cat, then by gum make the folder and put them in there. If you don't want a music folder, then there isn't one there to annoy you.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree and Windows kind of did that with the C:/user/<username>

Its closer than that of XP. You could easly go in and just delete all the files in the folder and it would basicly be the same as any linux distro. However, IE 7.0 has some built in features for downloading, such as when you save an image it saves it to the pictures folder and so on for other formats. I got Vista Business for free from my school so I have nothing to really complain about the cost.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I moved from XP to vista straight away when it was first release, and on my older aging hardware, as a gamer, I hated it!. Removed it after a couple of months, overall I was impressed but as my computer was old games really took a hit in terms of performance. The other problem was compatibility with software, it was horrible during vista's initial release

Now, later on, I purchased a new laptop with vista on, T2310 intel dual core, 2gb ram etc. I normally use this laptop for webdevelopment and general usage, it came with vista home pre-installed, heck, I love it. I obviously dont use this laptop for gaming, but im sure newer hardware doesn't have any problems. The nicest feature for me is the Searching. Vista's searching is so much nicer, it is integrated into many parts of the OS, one of the places is the start menu, meaning from just pressing the start button, you can begin typing an apps name and it will autosuggest for you from your applications. opening files in applications, the search function is available in the top right of the screen allowing easy filtering in busy folders.

The security is heavily beefed up, I would feel safer giving my laptop to my 8 year old sister in law to browse sites and play games, as it doesn't allow for many of the registry changes that XP does, Vista prompts for many of the smallest changes to ensure it isn't an automated process you didn't want to happen

If i had the chouce of upgrading, I wouldn't. The price tag doesn't justify it, considering there aren't that many changes to a XP installation
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft has a secret new operating system they're showing to XP-loving Vista haters. Codenamed "Mojave," over 90 percent of anti-Vista focus groups in San Francisco loved it. When can you get hold of this new operating system? Right now. It's called Windows Vista.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998336-56.html
The Mojave Experiment

interesting / smart idea. i'm still not a fan >.<

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts