The Mozilla Firefox Appreciation thread

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

http://atnopro.com/ozzu/screenshot.jpg

Hey man, there's a windows update available in your screen cap. You better go get it. hahahaha.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
If anyone ever tries to tell you Win2K can't handle the multiple "stuff "-- just show them that screen capture to prove them wrong. I'm still alive and kickin'.

time will tell :roll:

windows will become slower over time as you install more programs and the registry get's filled with junk.

Linux with an X server running is slower than a fresh XP install but after months pass, XP becomes slower and slower.

the main reason Windows is faster is because it has a registry which i believe stays loaded into memory while you work. one app i used showed which program was reading which registry key and it was constantly reading the registry and updating.

on the other side, linux has no registry and it is a bit slower than XP when using X because linux uses plain text config files. much easier to understand and make changes.

linux and X performance stays constant and the linux filesystem is more stable than XP. i do not want to start a flame war over which is better or faster.

of course i'm no expert and my opinions are based on my experiences as a windows and linux user.

update: i just found out that the reason Galeon was removed from fedora was because it was replaced with Epiphany. since it's already installed, i will try Epiphany later.

scarecrow
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:

http://atnopro.com/ozzu/screenshot.jpg

Hey man, there's a windows update available in your screen cap. You better go get it. hahahaha.

and you can turn off that Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger "if" you mostly use Yahoo or ICQ:

Goto C:\Program Files\
Rename "Messenger" to "MessengerOFF"
Rename "MSN Messenger" to "MSN MessengerOFF"
(without the quotes of course)
Contrary to what it says, it will not damage other
programs or keep them from running.
note: you may have change the folder permissions if it's read-only, then rename it, and change it back to read-only.

why does microsoft frighten users by saying it will damage other programs? that's the microsoft way to get you to keep their products active, i guess.

sc
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first gripe with Firefox is the way it's rendering form elements with styles applied. Kind of surprising since the Mozilla browser had been doing this so well.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
My first gripe with Firefox is the way it's rendering form elements with styles applied. Kind of surprising since the Mozilla browser had been doing this so well.

Seems to work OK for me. This page displays exactly as I wrote it and it's identical on IE6 or Foxfire: http://housesunlimitedinc.com/sell.html (Light blue text fields with grey text). I seem to recall when I wrote it though that I had to apply the style class to each input element in order to get it to work on NS4x versions. That may be why it displays as intended on Foxfire. I'd be curious to see a page where it's not working right for you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

scarecrow thanks for the tip on messenger. I did know that. I use messenger but not frequently. Usually, I forget to turn it on.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
digitalMedia wrote:

Seems to work OK for me. This page displays exactly as I wrote it and it's identical on IE6 or Foxfire: http://housesunlimitedinc.com/sell.html (Light blue text fields with grey text). I seem to recall when I wrote it though that I had to apply the style class to each input element in order to get it to work on NS4x versions. That may be why it displays as intended on Foxfire. I'd be curious to see a page where it's not working right for you.

I didn't look at the source, are you applying height and width attribs in your style definition?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. Just these two classes

Code: [ Select ]
.form {font-family : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
background-color: #CCFFFF;
color: #808080;
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: normal;
}

TD.formtext {color : #000099;
    font-family : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
    font-size : 14px;
    font-weight : normal;
    text-align : left;
    background-image : none;

}
  1. .form {font-family : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
  2. background-color: #CCFFFF;
  3. color: #808080;
  4. font-size: 14px;
  5. font-weight: normal;
  6. }
  7. TD.formtext {color : #000099;
  8.     font-family : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
  9.     font-size : 14px;
  10.     font-weight : normal;
  11.     text-align : left;
  12.     background-image : none;
  14.     }

Here's another one I did almost the same way:
http://cigloans.com/apply.html
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what I'm talking about. It's not a problem in this form, obviously, but I do a lot of layouts that require more exactness than this. That's one of the reasons I love CSS so much, it was giving me the exactness that I required. Also, there should be exactly 15px between the two blocks. IE, Moz1.3, Opera all get it right.

I know I'm being picky...but it's my job to be picky. ;)

IE
Moz 1.3
Opera
Firefox
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you are saying. I've never tried playing around with that. I'll have to do some experimenting with it sometime soon.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummmm, was the inclusion of both english and what looks to be italian, intentional?

The headers for the text boxes are in english, and the little informational paragraphs are in italian...seems that both would be in italian, eh :?

Cheers, eh...

C.C.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, it's not italian. It's commonly known as Lorem Ipsum text. It's been used as place-holder copy for about 500 years.

http://www.lipsum.com/

;)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used that filler text myself, but it didn't register :oops:

Maybe I should just shut the hell up and simply read posts from now on :lol:

C.C.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

NO!!!! Don't do that, please. If everyone only read posts it would be a pretty boring forum.

:) ;)

I bet a couple people will discover Lorem ipsum for the first time thanks to your question.

:thumbsup:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold Canuck wrote:
I've used that filler text myself, but it didn't register :oops:

C.C.

*lol -- I was wondering about that, because I KNOW I've seen you use it!
Like your new Avatar, btw.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
*lol -- I was wondering about that, because I KNOW I've seen you use it!

Thats the silly part of it, I've been using that filler for quite a while, probably forgot to sweep the cobwebs out of this sleep-deprived brain :D

ATNO/TW wrote:
Like your new Avatar, btw.

Thanks, I'd been in the process of sifting through my bookmarks, and found a ton that came up 404...some of them were excellent resources for graphics tutes...neofrog was one :(

Cheers, IT dude :)

C.C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't know this. This explains the name change:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5156101.html
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A firefox is another name for the red panda, a red-furred, endangered mammal related to the giant panda and found in the Himalayas, China and Myanmar.

This makes me love it even more :)

Note: Anyone who knows me knows I love pandas
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

must be the flatpanel display causing the color problems.

i installed windows xp pro, did all the security and upgrade stuff and updated my display driver and monitor definition.

color still appears incorrect compared to my laptop. i've tried different resolutions, operating systems, etc... must be the mitsubishi flat panel display!

before i purchase another display, i will definately check out the colors first.

sc
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't forget scarecrow it could also be a difference in the graphics card.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK -- now I'm confused. How do you have a final release (1.5) of Firebird, when firebird was supposedly changed to Firefox do to trademark stuff?
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

I don't get it.
  • redhawk

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
It is a little confusing though because the Flash plugin downloads the setup file to your desktop. I'm like where the heck did this get saved to? *lol But it does install very easily this time around..

Yeah, that screwed me up to. You can change the setting in Windows by going to Tools --> options --> Click on downloads and at the top of that screen just select "Ask me where to save the download." But you probably already fixed that by now.
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

This topic was old. lol
Mozillia Firefox is great. However, there are still a few sites out there that only work with IE. When are they gonna realize IE is evil?

http://toastytech.com/evil/
there was a funnier page about this, but i couldn't find it

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 53 posts