plugin to install. I have NS7 installed, and flash runs fine on
there...so I have no idea what to do differently. :scratchhead:

I like this though...looks sweet! :thumbsup:
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Out of curiosity, what's better about firefox compared with regular mozilla? Looking around mozilla.org they tell you tabbed browsing, popup blockers and stuff, but all that comes with plain vanilla mozilla.

Also, the multizilla plugin is excellent. Tabbed browsing done right :)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX: Firebird was 0.7 and below... the new version released was 0.8 and they changed the name to Firefox. Firefox actually comes with a .exe installer so when you visit the macromedia.com site to download the flash plugin, it works peachy. With Firebird you had to download the flash plugin installer, then manually find the plugins folder for Firebird and install it to that directory.

My only gripe with Firefox at the moment is that it seems to have NO SCROLLBAR... wtf is up with that? Is it just me?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's just you on the scrollbar thing lostinbeta, but the default background color is almost white so if you don't have anything to scroll you hardly notice it's there. I bet that was by design. And UNFLUX, lostinbeta is spot on about the Flash plugin. Much easier than the older Phoenix and Firebird renditions. It is a little confusing though because the Flash plugin downloads the setup file to your desktop. I'm like where the heck did this get saved to? *lol But it does install very easily this time around.

At the moment I don't see too much different other than the installer and the flash plugin differences.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

icyroadz wrote:
Out of curiosity, what's better about firefox compared with regular mozilla?

Ditto. Mozilla seems to be putting out competing software packages and it is confusing as hell. Selecting which program to use is difficult because they haven't clearly defined the differences.

And, what about a project road map? Will Mozilla be phased out? (Mozilla works great for me. The last thing I want is to switch).
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

icyroadz wrote:
Out of curiosity, what's better about firefox compared with regular mozilla? Looking around mozilla.org they tell you tabbed browsing, popup blockers and stuff, but all that comes with plain vanilla mozilla.

Also, the multizilla plugin is excellent. Tabbed browsing done right :)

Its more customiseable than Mozila for starters. It also doesnt come with the mail client etc., and is a stripped down version of mozilla. It just looks better I think and less like Netscape.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uzzo wrote:
It also doesnt come with the mail client etc., and is a stripped down version of mozilla. It just looks better I think and less like Netscape.

Do you mean it is the same code base?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I understand correctly, isn't Mozilla based off the Gecko engine and runs on a java platform, like NS 7? Whereas, I don't believe Firebird does. In any case, I think Firebird runs faster and more efficiently than the Mozilla flavor, and I prefer it, even if I can't keep up with what they are calling it from month to month! *lol
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW. I'll take another look at this (especially consider I'm just using Mozilla for the browser).
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO: Firebird does indeed run off the same Gecko engine as NS and Mozilla. But Firebird (or Firefox, whatever), doesn't come with the added components that Mozilla does. So it is a slimmed down Mozilla.

It doesn't come with an address book, a mail client, a newsgroup jimmeryjawny, etc, etc. Firefox is just a browser, nothing more, nothing less... slim, fast, and ready to rock.

FADGE!!! I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and STILL no scrollbars!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:
FADGE!!! I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and STILL no scrollbars!

Are you doing the regular install? I did the custom install and added that javascript console stuff, but I have the scrollbars just fine.
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lostinbeta, this might be why your scrollbars are missing.

Wow, I've been playing around with firefox, and I'm very impressed. To get the tabbed browsing to not steal focus when opening a new tab I added the multizilla plugin to mozilla. Firefox just does it right from the beginning.

Thanks for convincing a skeptic. :thumbsup:
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

icyroadz wrote:
To get the tabbed browsing to not steal focus when opening a new tab I added the multizilla plugin to mozilla. Firefox just does it right from the beginning.

You can do that in Mozilla. Just load the tabs in the background.

• icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two things are funny about that, I thought I had tried that before and it didn't work then (i think), but now if I uncheck it (with the plugin mind) it doesn't affect it. *Shrugs*
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

icyroadz wrote:
Lostinbeta, this might be why your scrollbars are missing.

Wow, I've been playing around with firefox, and I'm very impressed. To get the tabbed browsing to not steal focus when opening a new tab I added the multizilla plugin to mozilla. Firefox just does it right from the beginning.

Thanks for convincing a skeptic. :thumbsup:

SWEET DEAL ICYROADZ!!! That worked perfectly.... apparently even though the themes switch during runtime, for the scrollbar error to be fixed you need to close out firefox then restart it. This is why when I tried it before it didn't work. Stupid me!
  • icyroadz
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) Glad to help!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i have a new browser installed and it's called firefox! :thumbsup:

I'm diggin' it...pretty nifty. I gave up on firebird, this was much
easier. Thanks for the help.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh....now that was slick! I installed this earlier today at work when I first saw the thread here. But I just installed it at home and my active IE window at the time was OZZU's main page. Guess what? Firefox snagged that and instantly made it my default home page! I bet someone speant a few long nights figuring out how to do that! *lol (at work I had closed out all my browser windows before installing)

The only thing I'm down on Firefox/any Mozilla stuff -- they still haven't incorporated the Favicons into the bookmarks. I'd like to see that.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

picky picky! ;)

I'm relaly liking this browser, I'm really glad I installed it. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

After a half a day with it, it appears to be the best effort so far.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's very much like phoenix/firebird...skinable, fast and stable.

If there was one thing I'd change, is the ability to have the "click to hide" toolbars similar to Nutscape's new browser.

http://www.freewebs.com/coldcanuck/firefox.html
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

I've tried almost all web browsers over the years, but I have not tried the new and improved Firebird/Firefox. I have tried firebird and it kept crashing.

I always go back to Galeon! Notice how I moved my tabs and toolbar to the bottom were it should be, like Opera. Click link below to view screenshot...

My Galeon Screenshot

Galeon is way better than Firebird; however, I don't think they have a windows version of Galeon.

Galeon (web browser for the Linux Gnome (GTK) desktop) started all these features that others try to emulate, like built in popup blocking, google search bar built-in. They also borrowed the Opera stuff like giving you an option to put the toolbar and tabs at the bottom.

Tabs in Mozilla look like crap compared to Opera or Galeon. Mozilla is also way slower.

You may be surprised at what people do with that Mozilla code. I believe the setup screen in my Adaptec RAID adaptor software is nothing more than a Mozilla browser. Also, the very pretty graphical boot and terminal screen of SUSE Linux looks familiar. Everyone is using OpenSource Mozilla code to create some very nice applications for Windows and Linux.

Read one article which said, Firebird was created by some of the developers that left the Galeon project because they did not like the way the project was headed. I do not know if this is true or not, but perhaps that is why I see similarities in Firebird and Galeon. But be warned that Galeon is way ahead of the game and have been for a few years now.

After upgrading my server I found that Galeon was removed during the upgrade to fedora. The "first" thing I did was search for a Galeon rpm for fedora and install it!

scarecrow
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never used Galeon, but I know I can't stand Opera.
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

scarecrow wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:

I've tried almost all web browsers over the years, but I have not tried the new and improved Firebird/Firefox. I have tried firebird and it kept crashing.

I always go back to Galeon! Notice how I moved my tabs and toolbar to the bottom were it should be, like Opera. Click link below to view screenshot...

My Galeon Screenshot

Galeon is way better than Firebird; however, I don't think they have a windows version of Galeon.

//snip//

scarecrow

you try to run that many tabs in any of the MS Window's browsers that supports tabs and you prolly gonna crash, heehee...

sc
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol LIB!

(meanwhile, in the shallow end of the pool...)
I got it, like it, i'll test on it with new projects, but i'll pbly still surf with IE.

:P
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

me too dM. just excited about the new toy ;)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

scarecrow wrote:
you try to run that many tabs in any of the MS Window's browsers that supports tabs and you prolly gonna crash, heehee...

sc

Really?

http://www.freewebs.com/coldcanuck/tabs_galore.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Scarecrow -- have to agree with CC on this. Here's a screen shot:

http://atnopro.com/ozzu/screenshot.jpg

I know it doesn't show the tabs open on FireFox, but there's 10 there. In addition you'll also note (at the bottom) I also have 20 windows/proggies running as well on Win2K including HTML-Kit, Photoshop 6.0, multiple instances of IE , several instances of ICQ, and a couple instances of Cute FTP. If anyone ever tries to tell you Win2K can't handle the multiple "stuff "-- just show them that screen capture to prove them wrong. I'm still alive and kickin'.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing Im annoyed with that hasnt bee nsorted out is the ordering of the Bookmarks. In the previous version and this one as well the bookmarks wouldnt sort in A-Z order coz of a bug. Seems like they havent been able to sort it yet so we're just gonna have to wait! :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 53 posts