If the USPS Goes Broke, What Happens to Free Shipping ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just read that the United States Postal Service lost USD $8.5 Billion in 2010 and that some people are speculating that the USPS will go under in 2011.

Then I started thinking about the things I just had shipped to me for free this week, all through the USPS actually. I don't believe I've ever had something sent to me via free shipping and not had it be delivered through the USPS. Does anyone ship for free and send it via UPS, Fedex, etc ?

What happens to free shipping if the USPS actually does go under in 2011 ?
What happens to online stores who's selling points include free shipping ?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I know, the postal workers' contract expired on the 10th of this month. I'm surprised that there really hasn't been anything said about it. Major cuts were planned to compensate for the losses.

If the entire thing should go broke, either it will be privatized or the feds will have to borrow the money to keep it going. Either way, service will stay in place.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you know the US Government does not own a single post office and that they are all rented? I can't remember where I read it, but the government didn't want to own any of the land that the post offices were built on so they setup a system where people could build the offices and the government would rent them from the individual.

I'll see if I can find a source for this. Just an interesting fact.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I knew that but it's not completely privatized.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe that the USPS is a privatized company with Government oversight....... not 100% on that though.

I don't think I'd care much if it went under. they only thing important I get through snail mail are Bills :) Everything else is "junk mail".

Billing could easily be switched to "online" billing and payments.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
Billing could easily be switched to "online" billing and payments.

I'm surprised there isn't an option for that if you go onto the online website they've no doubt spammed over the mail you do get.

I just turned off my paper bank statements a few days ago via the banking website as i never actually opened the letters. Because i don't plan on staying at my current address for too long i am trying to look at minimising the amount of mail being posted to this address.

Alot of companies here are going along the "doing our bit for the environment" route. One supermarket chain has recently started changing the design of their trailers to provide a fancy arch with the text on the side words like "doing our bit for the environment" with arrows to emphasise that the larger trailer means more stock can be stored inside. What they don't tell you is that the company will still be making the same amount of trips to their stores (of which there are many) regardless of the size as the stock is constantly needing replaced...so it goes to show they are not as interested in reducing their carbon footprint and would rather lie to give off the impression they actually care.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I heard something about this a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away like when email first come out stating USPS would be going under due to most people sending email instead of letters. Maybe it's one of those rain forest things. Still, I don't see anyone operating on losses amounting that much.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Email did not break the bank of the postal service.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

In 2006 something called the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act was signed into law. The spirit of that act appears to basically let the USPS operate more like a Corporation, than a Government entity.

One of the provisions in that act would seem to suggest that when it made sense, for instance they were paying rent in a location they've had, and are likely to have, an office at for decades, the USPS could purchase the property as a "rational investment in infrastructure".

Quote:
supports the adoption of corporate best practices, such as rational investments in the infrastructure...

Another provision in the act, says that the USPS will come under the review of Congress and the President every 5 years. Since the act was signed into law in 2006, that means the USPS is coming up for review next year. As luck would have it, that's the same time the USPS is projected to go broke.

--

It looks like next year is either going to be a year of people bitching about Obama bailing out the USPS (the USPS currently doesn't operate using tax dollars) or a good year to buy stock in companies like Fedex and UPS.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like the USPS is considering dropping Saturday deliveries.

The article make a couple of semi-valid points about people who receive checks and prescription drugs in the mail. Personally, I think it would just push people to plan a little better.
  • edward003
  • Born
  • Born
  • edward003

Post 3+ Months Ago

if so, that's horrible, and a disaster!
  • diosss21
  • diosss21

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPS is very useful in todays ara so everyone want to use UPS.
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are the United States Postal Service. The United States Postal Service was bankrupt 5 years ago. Every government agency is in the same boat. As long as we have this looming deficit they are all broke. So the only thing I can say is make sure you buy plenty of christmas cards and mail them. This is one way to insure the sobriety of the United States Postal Service. If you really care!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts