The world will end in 2012, say experts.

• Michael william
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Michael william

Post 3+ Months Ago

These are the reasons:
- Mayan calendar
- Sun storms
- The atom smasher
- The Bible says it
- Super volcano
- The physicists
- Earth’s magnetic field

How far is it true or is it a rumor?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The Bible says it

Got some scripture to back that up?
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to the Bible, nobody knows the day and or the hour:

Quote:
36 Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father (Matthew 24)

Quote:
32 Concerning that day or the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father.
33 Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is (Mark 13)

and as Paul's says, we don't need to worry about it if we are with Him:

Quote:
(1 Thessalonians 5:1-6)
1 Now as for the times and the seasons, brothers, you need nothing to be written to you.
2 For you yourselves know quite well that the Lord's day is coming exactly as a thief in the night.
3 Whenever it is that they are saying: Peace and security! then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman; and they will by no means escape.
4 But you, brothers, you are not in darkness, so that that day should come upon you as it would thieves (who operate under a cloak of darkness),
5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We belong neither to night nor to darkness.
6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.

So, for me it is just another hoax rumor
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will know the season. I will not say a date, but:

Israel cannot be destroyed if you believe the Bible is true.
Iran is about to launch nukes at Israel(the current president does not want to do anything without world approval, and the world is too sissy to stand for anything, thus I deduce Iran will attack Israel).
The culmination of this will be war, where the north will attack Israel(russia will join with iran).
The trump will sound, if you believe in dispensationalism.
The anti-christ will create a peace treaty in the middle east.
The temple will be rebuilt.
The anti-christ will enter the temple and claim to be God.
The vials start pouring out, speakers arive, etc etc.
After 7 years, Christ will return, destroying all on the world.
Great White throne judgement.
Hell/Satan/Sinners cast into lake of fire.
Judgement seat of Christ.
For 1000 years the world will be ruled (if you believe in the millenial kingdom).
New heaven/earth created.

iirc.. haven't studied it lately.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
...if you believe the Bible is true.

;) You can believe the Bible is the truth without thinking that Revelation is a literal description of the end of days.

On the 2012 thing, it seems to me to be yet another doomsday prediction in a sea of doomsday predictions. Hardly a new thang. I can't even remember how many times I've seen Nostrudomaus updated to reflect current day leaders/bad guys.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The world has already ended at least 5 times since I've been alive. At least those are all the times I was aware of. Personally I think it will die when Unix time ends. January 19, 2038 03:14:07 GMT. On January 19, 2038 03:14:08 GMT all computers that still use 32 bit Unix Time will overflow.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I don't have any clue what'll happen...if anything at all. I have seen the scientific research done on the earths magnetic fields, and according to the study (if I could find it I would link, but I'm too lazy) the earths polarity will shift. This coincides with the Mayan's beliefs and calendar date of "the end of the world." I put that in quotes because it was not considered to them a "end" but in fact a "rebirth". I could write a huge article on it but essentially, the earth already has spots below the north pole that are of northern polarity, because of sun storms, these spots are growing at an exponential rate. When the polarity shifts, there's a good chance that earthquakes will ensue due to the sudden difference in the gravitational pull on the iron within the soil. This will cause volcanoes to erupt. Also, the polarity shift will cause a major EMP that will shut down all electronics. The earthquakes will cause tsunamis which can reach up to the tallest skyscrapers...blah blah blah. I'm not even going to get into Nostradamus, but basically all of the science and research backs the enormous amounts of prophecy. Personally I don't have a stance on it. may or may not happen, who cares. I mean really, what are we gonna do about it if the world ends?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Worst case scenario, all plan a trip to China in 2012 and look for HUGE Arks.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

All this 2012 dooms day crap is just the latest fad and it will soon go out of style. Just think of all the dooms days that have already come and gone, and we're still here. We human being will be our own undoing, I think that there won't be one specific "day of doom" but rather a slow painful end of civilization either through disease or famine or war.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I obviously don't believe any of the end-of-the-world crap, but I have nothing better to do right now so here's some refutations to your points.

Michael william wrote:

No, they don't.

Michael william wrote:
- Mayan calendar

The Mayans never claim 2012 to be the end of the world. The year marks the end of a very long specific cycle in the Mayan calendar, much like December 31 marks the end of a cycle we call a "year" in our calendar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoameric ... Long_Count

Michael william wrote:
- Sun storms

Sun storms are actually quite common. A large one, regardless of when it occurs, would only temporarily knock out satellite communications, not power grids. You'll still be able to make your Hot Pockets, you just might not be able to use your cell phone to tweet about it.

Michael william wrote:
- The atom smasher

...can create a black hole. ZOMG! The problem is, it would be so microscopic that any black hole created would instantaneously evaporate. Pretty lame. The other cool thing is that it's theoretically possible for the creation of the Higgs Boson to be so counteractive to the laws of the universe that it actually goes back in time and prevents the LHC from ever creating it in the first place. Some have theorized that this is why the LCH has experienced so many problems. Theoretical physics rocks!

Michael william wrote:
- The Bible says it

No, it doesn't.

Michael william wrote:
- Super volcano

This is actually possible, but highly unlikely. Some of the biggest, most destructive volcanoes aren't expected to go off for quite some time yet. But hell, if one does, we'll have a new ice age, and who doesn't like sledding?

Michael william wrote:
- The physicists

I doubt physicists are concerned with destroying the world. But if they were, this is how they'd probably do it.

Michael william wrote:
- Earth’s magnetic field

Earth's magnetic field has, and will continue to, reverse it's polarity. But it hasn't hurt our ancestors, and it's probably not going to hurt us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favorites are the ones convinced it's going to happen, so they gather a bunch of supplies and go live in the woods, like the end of the world isn't going to happen there like it does everywhere else.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember hearing once that only the Joebert Witnesses make it. What was it about 144 thousand of them? *knock *knock
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah 144,000 is the buildings legal capacity. Any more than that and the fire marshal will close us down.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
My favorites are the ones convinced it's going to happen, so they gather a bunch of supplies and go live in the woods, like the end of the world isn't going to happen there like it does everywhere else.

.....I live in the woods and have a pantry full of canned and dehydrated food and bottled water and plenty of ammunition for my couple of guns.....

But those survivalist whacks are idiots. Mine is because at any given moment (like right about NOW, its snowing like a son of a you know what) a huge snow storm could come and me and my wife might be stuck in here for a while and not be able to get to the grocery store. Being prepared for emergency situations is one thing, but being paranoid and stupid is another. And the ammo for my rifles is just because it is cheaper in the long run to buy in bulk.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
joebert wrote:

.....I live in the woods and have a pantry full of canned and dehydrated food and bottled water and plenty of ammunition for my couple of guns.....

But those survivalist whacks are idiots. Mine is because at any given moment (like right about NOW, its snowing like a son of a you know what) a huge snow storm could come and me and my wife might be stuck in here for a while and not be able to get to the grocery store. Being prepared for emergency situations is one thing, but being paranoid and stupid is another. And the ammo for my rifles is just because it is cheaper in the long run to buy in bulk.

About the time the 911 attacks happened there was a guy who lived in my neighborhood that was convinced the world was going to end so he collected a bunch of guns and cash for supplies then moved out into a bunker up north somewhere.

It took him awhile to collect the stuff he wanted though, the neighborhood kids he was selling pot to kept breaking into his home and stealing his stuff because he liked to show it off.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there ever is some sort of civilization smashing event, cash will be totally useless. That guy will be better off selling his pot and bartering other supplies. I have to admit, I am a frequent listener to the Alex Jones radio show and he is convinced that world government is going to take over and enslave the entire global population, so he advocates stocking up on supplies and stuff. Maybe that will happen, and maybe not, the way I see it is that we should prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
dyfrin wrote:
...if you believe the Bible is true.

;) You can believe the Bible is the truth without thinking that Revelation is a literal description of the end of days.

Literal interpretation of Revelation or not, Israel cannot be destroyed, it is clearly explained that the remnant will be there, the peace treaty and the temple rebuilt. If Iran were to nuke Israel none of that could happen.

The book of rev's descriptions is difficult to relate to today's terms.
There is a book that is a good read, Without A Mark, that is a story about people in the US during the tribulation. The story aligns with revelation, explaining how some of the descriptions from John could be used on different technologies of today.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem with the bible is that it is too open to interpretation, and it has been changed too much over the years. Since it was written, there has been different translations and versions (king james version, NIV), and now there are people who are changing it again to fit their own beliefs and agendas. The people who I am talking about are the conservopedia people who say the bible is too liberal, so they are changing parts to make it more conservative. Liberal and conservative, as far as politics is concerned, are two different ends of the spectrum. So with this change, they are basically rewriting the whole thing and in a way making it up as they go.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nobody knows ..

Don't worry about 2012..

Worry about at most, tomorrow.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

luckygal wrote:
I don't know it is a rumor or not. With the release of this movie this became one of the subject for talking. This movie pictured in a real manner.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen previews and stuff. It looks like a lot of computer animations and CGI and stuff, good animations but not entirely realistic. But your second sentence there speaks volumes. Once the movie is done being showed in theaters and everybody has a chance to rent it or see it on pay per view, all the hype will quiet down and everything will be back to normal.
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm waiting for 2012........ must end sooner or later!
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India-Kolkata

Post 3+ Months Ago

The end of the world, supposedly based on theories backed by the Mayan calendar.
The doomsday scenario revolves around claims that the end of time will come as an obscure Planet X - 0r Nibiru - collides with Earth.
According to a report in the Telegraph, NASA said in a question-and-answer posting on its website, "There is no factual basis for these claims." If such a collision were real, "astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye," it said. "Obviously, it does not exist," it added. "Credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012," it insisted. After all, "our planet has been getting along just fine for more than four billion years," added NASA. Initial theories set the disaster for May 2003, but when nothing happened, the date was moved forward to the winter solstice in 2012, to coincide with the end of a cycle of the ancient Mayan calendar. NASA insisted the Mayan calendar does not in fact end on December 21, 2012, as another period begins immediately afterward; and it said there are no planetary alignments on the horizon for the next few decades.Even if the planets were to line up as some have forecast, the effect on our planet would be "negligible," NASA said.
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aniway 2012 the movie was one of the worst movie I ever seen!!!!
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
luckygal wrote:
I don't know it is a rumor or not. With the release of this movie this became one of the subject for talking. This movie pictured in a real manner.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen previews and stuff. It looks like a lot of computer animations and CGI and stuff, good animations but not entirely realistic. But your second sentence there speaks volumes. Once the movie is done being showed in theaters and everybody has a chance to rent it or see it on pay per view, all the hype will quiet down and everything will be back to normal.

To be honest, i really wish i hadn't seen the movie. I completely agree with ArtphotoasiA. I will never get that 3 hours back :cry:

It makes a good comedy though, even though that was never the intention.
  • henrinaiara
  • henrinaiara

Post 3+ Months Ago

Michael william wrote:
These are the reasons:
- Mayan calendar
- Sun storms
- The atom smasher
- The Bible says it
- Super volcano
- The physicists
- Earth’s magnetic field

How far is it true or is it a rumor?

yeah.. everyone can predict... but we can only wait and anticipate..
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

We will see in the near future... 2012 is near!!!

Beside that 15/1 in Italy we will see Avatar... can not wait... that must be a great movie indeed!!
  • Puneet Thakkar
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

We hear such things every year but now seriously i do not believe all this
No one knows or no one can even say when the world is going to end

So just Enjoy and Have Fun. Live your life Happily
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

ancient calendars do not say the world will vanish but they say this year will be the beginning of the era, and it is likely only to the Christian moral to understand everything very narrow as good/bad, life/death. I think we shall expext something greatbegin, and not the end of the world)))
you get what you believe in))
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

The whole thing reminds me of the Y2K bug - you can bet I'm marking my calendar - it reads "Just another day".
  • prabax
  • Born
  • Born
  • prabax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think they are not experts.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information