Things a hacked PC can be used for.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever wonder what hackers do with a hacked PC?

Illicit Web Hosting
    Zombie Grunt Work
    E-Mail/Webmail Attacks
    Account Credentials
    Virtual Goods
    Financial Credentials

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securi ... ed_pc.html
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

These days you don't need a hacked PC, all you need is a hacked or unsecured wireless router. It's much easier to obtain & yields those benefits except peoples' financial information unless file sharing is enabled. Then you have the entire package. It took me about a week to learn how to crack WEP.

Let me take a 2 question poll.

How many wireless router owners here have changed the router's default password, before you read my question?

How many have enabled MAC filtering?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wireless router, what's that ?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:

MAC filtering + WPA2 encryption + disable SSID broadcasting. People don't know your network is there. If they happen to stumble across it, it's encrypted. Get past that, any they're still blocked via MAC filtering.

Also, a small garden gnome placed near the router will ward off any potential intruders attempting to manipulate the router physically.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've changed the admin password and disabled SSID broadcasts, but not MAC filtering. What I did do was change the default subnet to something random like 192.168.95.43 and gave it a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248, then disabled dhcp and gave my computers static IP addresses. That isn't fool proof to stop anyone who wants to break in, but it will slow them down a tiny little bit.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Also, a small garden gnome placed near the router will ward off any potential intruders attempting to manipulate the router physically.

After reading this thread, I've completely unsecured my wireless network and decided to rely solely on the presence of a garden gnome (that for some reason continues to appear in Travelocity commercials)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a viking gypsy unicorn troll that guards mine, and he's planning an invasion on your wireless routers. Your gnomes are no match against TED!
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use MAC filtering, no SSID broadcast, and have changed all passwords and what not.

Open Wireless Home networks are slowly becoming less common I think. It used to be 2-4 years ago even I would be in my apartment and there were 5 or 6 other networks that were completely open (not to mention that 90% of all the networks had the default IP/user/Pass).

Now at my apartment complex out of 11 wireless networks within range; only one of them is completely open and I imagine much more have changed their default login credentials for the router.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

no filtering, default password. There's nobody near me savvy enough with computers to do anything, and I'd know almost instantly anyway. Besides, I've never been able to get my laptop to work once I enable MAC filtering and I know what I'm doing lol.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

While we're on the topic of what a hacked PC can do, check this out

Over 40,000 websites recently hacked that redirect a viewer to another website that tries to install malicious software on the users PC.

Quote:
Once a user has been directed to the bogus Google analytics site, it redirects again to another malicious domain. That site tests to see if the PC has software vulnerabilites in either Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser or Firefox that can be exploited in order to deliver malware, Leonard said.

If it doesn't find a problem there, it will launch a fake warning saying the computer is infected with malware and tries to get the user to willingly download a program that purports to be security software but is actually a Trojan downloader, Leonard said. Those fake security programs are often called "scareware" and don't work as advertised.

As of last Friday, only four of 39 security software programs could detect that Trojan, although that's now likely changed as vendors such as Websense swap malware samples with other companies in order to improve overall Internet security.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm, how about a forum post warning against malicious forum posts which coincidentally contains a malicious link? muahaha!
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Let me take a 2 question poll.

How many wireless router owners here have changed the router's default password, before you read my question?

1. changed from day one
2. i have it on from day one as well.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
There's nobody near me savvy enough with computers to do anything, and I'd know almost instantly anyway.

That's what they thought out in the cabins in the middle of the woods where cellphone signals didn't even get to, until I decided to take a look and see for myself why I couldn't get the Internet they told me I'd have working when the ladies in the office couldn't tell me anything.

I don't know much about networking and routers, but I know enough about them to make them reboot remotely if I can login. Doing that a few times works wonders for getting the Network person there and me online in a hurry. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts