Thinking of a word for a resume...

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to complete my resume here and can't think of a certain word to finish it...

The description of it is sort of... mathematical.

You got a line graph with two lines on it... one line is dependent on the other. If one line goes up the other line goes up. If the other line goes down the other line goes down. (Lines are always parallel).

Another scenario is when the first line goes up the other one goes down, and when the first line goes down the other one goes up. (Lines always intersect).

Both of those scenarios have a different name, but I'm thinking the word that describes the first scenario... can't think of it!!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.davidmburrow.com/chapter10.pdf
That has the idea... positive correlation.

But I'm looking for 1 specific word the sums it up... the one word we don't always use in mathematics...

Success is ?? to how hard you try.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

bound to?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Similar meaning but not that exact phrase...

The meaning of the word I'm thinking is "when one variable increases, the other increases" ... "when one variable decreases, the other decreases".

Success is ??? with how hard you try.

I might as well use "bound to" instead if I can't find that word I'm trying to remember... stupid chemistry.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take your pick http://thesaurus.com/browse/mathematical

i like using this site when thinking of names for a domain name looking for more unique words but down the bottom there is a visual thesaurus to play with which is really fun to use trashed watching all the words spider web out.

hope this helps

Quote:
Main Entry: mathematical
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: concerning manipulation of numbers
Synonyms: algebraic, algorithmic, analytical, arithmetical, computative, geometrical, math, measurable, numerical, scientific, trigonometric
Main Entry: numeric/numerical
Definition: concerning mathematics
Synonyms: algebraic, algorithmic, arithmetic, arithmetical, binary, differential, digital, exponent, exponential, fraction, fractional, integral, logarithm, logarithmic, mathematical , numeral, numerary, statistical
Antonyms: alphabetic, alphabetical
Main Entry: scientific
Definition: systematic; discovered through experimentation
Synonyms: accurate, clear, controlled, deductive, exact, experimental, logical, mathematical , methodical, objective, precise, sound
Antonyms: artistic
Main Entry: numeric
Definition: mathematical
Synonyms: arithmetic, arithmetical, binary, differential, digital, exponent, exponential, fraction, fractional, integrated, logarithm, logarithmic, mathematical , numeral, numerary, numerical, statistical
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Might I also chime in and say that most employers are going to simply disregard quotes and other "cliche" phrases on resumes. You should focus on listing your skill sets and experience.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Might I also chime in and say that most employers are going to simply disregard quotes and other "cliche" phrases on resumes. You should focus on listing your skill sets and experience.

The more info the less they are going to care. if you don't meet a certain layout and amount of content your just thrown int he bin. If someone has to go through 100 resumes it would take all day they they were a few pages each.

Good luck with the job search, it is the reason i am self employed due to impossible to get a good job in IT apart from stupid tech support.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The average recruiter or hiring manager spends about 15 seconds, on average, skimming a resume. They don't read it, they skim it. And in that 15 or so seconds, they need to be able to lift a general idea of your skill set and experience, just enough to decide to toss it in the 'contact' pile rather than the trash. Format and layout matter, but only when they aid in this process. Everything else is just clutter and gets in the way.

This is the same reason that, for entry-level candidates, you should almost always keep your resume down to a single page unless unusual circumstances dictate otherwise.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts