If this doesn't make you want to quite smoking, nothing will

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A man in the United States popped out to his local petrol station to buy a pack of cigarettes - only to find his card charged $23,148,855,308,184,500.

That is $23 quadrillion (£14 quadrillion) - many times the US national debt.

"I thought somebody had bought Europe with my credit card," said Josh Muszynski, from New Hampshire.

He says his appeals to his bank first met with little understanding, though it eventually corrected the error.

It also waived the usual $15 overdraft fee.

"It was all back to normal," Mr Muszynski told his local television station, WMUR. "They reversed the negative balance fee, which was nice."

Debt crisis

His nightmare began when he checked his online bank account a few hours after buying the cigarettes.

He thought he would be a couple of hundred dollars in the black. But his overdraft had pushed him into the red - by an amount equivalent to many times the entire US national debt.

"It is a lot of money in the negative," he said. "Something I could never, ever, afford to pay back.

"My children could not afford it, grandchildren, nothing like that."

In panic, Mr Muszynski rushed back to the petrol station, but they were unable to help. He says he then spent two hours on the phone with the Bank of America.

Eventually, it assured him it would be fixed - and the next morning, it had been.

But no-one has yet explained to Mr Muszynski how such a astonishing error could have been made.

Source: BBC News
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a "temporary programming error"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31920273/ns ... eird_news/
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was one mega programming error :shock: I can't believe such a big company would have space for programming errors ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thing is though, if that were me and i had no money for one night i'd be pretty peeved. Obviously he should try and get something back from this because it was an error on their part that proved to be an inconvenience he shouldn't have had.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish my bank only charged $15 instead of $50 for an overdraft fee...

The programming error reminds me of the movie office space. I won't give away too much of the movie, but basically they write a program to handle financial transactions but misplace a decimal point and begin to panic.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My bank charges $25 so far :D Maybe if I let an overdraft happen a few more times, they might raise it to make more money :lol:

These people moved the decimal point a few too many :P
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I smell a bank conspiracy. :lol: Saw this eerily similar article this morning. I guess the national debt has become the new de facto comparator?
  • iveysaur
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

xD
I saw another news article about that.
That's crazy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts