this is kinda annoying

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know alot of places in America have been recieving alot of snow recently, some really bad. Where i live there is never really alot, and over the years it has become less and less often.

Right now around the UK there is alot of snowfall, some of it causing problems and the media seem to be calling this some sort of natural disaster...or at least that is how it appears to be reported.

The snow is all over England, Wales, and covers pretty much all of Scotland too except for where i live. Not even a fine covering of snow outside, absolutely nothing. Just ice. Where i am originally from (just outside Aberdeen, 150 miles north of here) they have so much snow, so deep.

I'm probably the only guy around that is complaining of the lack of snow :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:

Yep.

We've had about 3 feet within the last two weeks, which is typical for this time of year. I remember reading the news a few weeks ago about London getting a lot of unexpected snow; I didn't realize it was affecting the entire U.K. though.

If you'd really like to have some snow for a while, you're more than welcome to switch places with me until around May. :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a ride to your old neighborhood if you miss it that much. Personally, I can do with out it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never seen snow, and I use to want to take a trip to see it, at least untill I went to Indiana before it even started snowing and felt how freaking cold it is.

You guys can keep your snow, that stuff is overrated. :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I've never seen snow, and I use to want to take a trip to see it, at least untill I went to Indiana before it even started snowing and felt how freaking cold it is.

You guys can keep your snow, that stuff is overrated. :D

:lol: It gets to around -20F here where I live (Kansas, USA)... which is a LOT!!! But, it rarely snowed this year :(... if it get's that cold, I expect at least a bit of snow... but I guess it's good since without snow, I don't have to clean my car out from snow to get to school :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know why I thought you lived in South Africa Bogey. All of this static shock today must have fried my brain. :scratchhead:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I don't know why I thought you lived in South Africa Bogey. All of this static shock today must have fried my brain. :scratchhead:

lol You must be thinking about R_T.

BTW: I absolutely hate static electricity (I guess static shock)... It happens way to often for me.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember back when I was in elementary school, they would cancel school because we would get a foot and a half or more of snow over night, anything less than that was nothing. But nowadays the kids around here are getting out of school because of a measly little 3 or 4 inches. Kids these days are weak...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess that's why i like the snow as it reminds me of the days when i was younger at school always waking up early and tuning into the radio to see if the school was closed or my bus to the school wasn't running.

My parents live out in the countryside, so commuting to school was mostly done by bus.

Seeming as we are on the topic, i got a nice snowfall last night, about 2-3 inches which was kinda good. Nearly gone now though
  • blueberry62
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueberry62

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live in Florida and am not complaining about lack of snow lol.

SB wrote:
I know alot of places in America have been recieving alot of snow recently, some really bad. Where i live there is never really alot, and over the years it has become less and less often.

Right now around the UK there is alot of snowfall, some of it causing problems and the media seem to be calling this some sort of natural disaster...or at least that is how it appears to be reported.

The snow is all over England, Wales, and covers pretty much all of Scotland too except for where i live. Not even a fine covering of snow outside, absolutely nothing. Just ice. Where i am originally from (just outside Aberdeen, 150 miles north of here) they have so much snow, so deep.

• Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

I had to laugh at this one, being from Indiana myself (and working at a ski hill there where I not only spent a ton of time in the snow but also met a lot of people who came up from Florida just to see it) and currently attending University in Florida. I've sort of got the opposite feeling: I can't believe how freaking hot it is. *wink*
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many times have you been outside wearing almost nothing and had people wearing stuff you'ld be wearing while it's snowing back home look at you like you're crazy, Hob ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was 8 degrees yesterday morning and there was a guy at work in a sleeveless t-shirt and shorts. Thought he was nuts.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's funny watching the snow birds come here to Florida.
You'll see people dressed like someone out of a summer vacation catalog while everyone else is shivering and wearing coats and pants.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
It's funny watching the snow birds come here to Florida.
You'll see people dressed like someone out of a summer vacation catalog while everyone else is shivering and wearing coats and pants.

It got up into the 40's this week. Freak heat wave for February. It was t-shirt weather for us.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, it gets into the 40s here an we start thinking about covering up our plants at nite so they don't freeze.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
How many times have you been outside wearing almost nothing and had people wearing stuff you'ld be wearing while it's snowing back home look at you like you're crazy, Hob ?

That's pretty much a daily occurrence for me.

ATNO/TW wrote:
It was 8 degrees yesterday morning and there was a guy at work in a sleeveless t-shirt and shorts. Thought he was nuts.

Heh - that sounds like one of my brothers. The odd thing is, when it gets to freezing and below, he sheds layers, but as it gets into the 70s, 80s, and 90s, he puts on his sweater.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob Bramble wrote:
Heh - that sounds like one of my brothers. The odd thing is, when it gets to freezing and below, he sheds layers, but as it gets into the 70s, 80s, and 90s, he puts on his sweater.

I don't think that's healthy...
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could not live with snow, seriously, I don't know how people do it! It gets to about 8-10 Celsius here in Sydney (when its really really cold, mostly in the early teens), in winter and I don't want to leave the house. I could not imagine going outside to see snow LOL.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

You get pretty used to it, to be honest. I've lived in this climate all my life, but I have friends here who are from California and after a year or so the weather doesn't even phase them anymore. It becomes routine.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have snow maybe an hour from Sydney up in the Blue Mountains, and the wind gets really really cold from it in winter. You have to remember how dry Australia is and the fact our summers are 40 celcius plus, almost everyday, so going from that to freezing cold, LOL, not good.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Divinyl wrote:
We have snow maybe an hour from Sydney up in the Blue Mountains, and the wind gets really really cold from it in winter. You have to remember how dry Australia is and the fact our summers are 40 celcius plus, almost everyday, so going from that to freezing cold, LOL, not good.

I agree with you here. I was in Australia from September 07 to Feb 08, with 3 weeks in New Zealand towards the end of my time abroad and i got used to the nice sunny warm weather. When it was time to arrive back home my first plane landed in London's Heathrow and for some reason we had to depart the plane from the steps onto the airport ground before catching a bus to our terminal. It was absolutely freezing, i mean it was unbelievably cold. I couldn't believe how cold it was. Turns out the temp was around 7 Celcius but because i had got used to the minimum temps of around 20C it was just unbearable.

I am used to the cold weather, our winters actually are not as bad as some countries yet we will get temperatures or around -10C in some places. Infact, when i was driving to my brothers for the new year on the radio they were saying that it was temperatures of around -20C in some parts of Scotland. Very much a contrast from a year before for me as my new year in Melbourne had temperatures of 41.1C and overnight temps of 35C.

As a follow-up from the original threads, we did end up getting a bit of snow but since then the weather has improved greatly with temperatures touching around the 10C on a daily basis. It feels very much like spring now too which is brilliant.
  • rebecca16
  • rebecca16

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
......I'm probably the only guy around that is complaining of the lack of snow :lol:

No you are not alone, where i live i have to travel 700kms to get near to the snow! so just imagine, maximum temperature of 40C and lowest of 22C... you can imagine how much i would love to live in the snowy areas!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts