this problem is upsetting me...

• assneck
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: seattle, wa

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i dont know what windows update did to my computer the other day but its all messed up since i used it. now when i try to open .jpg files it give me this...
anyone have any ideas on this? thanks

assneck
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did jpeg images usually open? In IE or in Paint or in what? What you need to do is re-associate jpeg files with the program that can open them. You do that by going to

My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->File Types

In this area you need to find jpg and then associate it with the program that should open it. It appears that right now it is associated with Program.exe, whatever that is, sounds like a program that does not exist.
  • assneck
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: seattle, wa

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank god, works now. yeah i had it opening with IE before. now i got it doing that again. thanks man.
  • ctstan
  • Born
  • Born
  • ctstan

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am having a similar problem that is not so easily resolved.

It seems that MS Photo Editor won't "let go" of the association it established with .gif and .jpg. I want them to open with IE, not MS Photo Editor.

I have gone to the File Types section of Folder Options and set both extensions to open with IE. But they still open with Photo Editor (even though I have double checked and they SAY they are to open with IE).

I have tried the "on the fly" work around, that is, I have held the shift key while right clicking a file with .gif and .jpg extensions and selected "open with..". I have checked the "always open with this program box". I then selected IE as the program to open the file with. But, again, MS Photo Editor STILL was the program that opened the files.

I am running Win98. This is very weird.

Any help is appreciated.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is one approach you can try, if you are willing. Simly uninstall Ms Photo Editor and reinstall, but on the reinstall do not check associate .gifs and .jpegs with this program. I'm pretty sure that should work.
  • ctstan
  • Born
  • Born
  • ctstan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I thought of that but
1) it really doesn't solve whatever the problem is
2) without knowing the real cause, what if the associations DON'T get fixed?
3) if it happens again, the uninstall/reinstall was for nothing
4) I hate uninstalling a program on a system that is otherwise working OK. Too many other things can happen.

While I do thank you for your reply (and it IS a good idea, one that I may have to resort to), I am hoping someone out there may have an answer as to WHY this is happening so I can kill it for good.

Thanks again.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows is full of those problems, that's why your computer may be completly screwed up and then a restart fixes everything.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, a complete restart (puttin in those special cd's) does fix everything....EVERYTHING is deleted and nothing is left, But then no more problems right?
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's not called restarting.... That's reformatting a computer.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

CTSTAN! You are really paranoid are you?! Photo editor can be removed without any harm, unless you do it directly in windows explorer, then files COULD get screwed up. In your case your perfectly ok system isn't perfectly OK it has a problem, does it not? if you really wanted a fix, then you would try these above mentioned attempts to solve it.

PS>>> Building on shrews instructions, after you uninstall open a gif and jpg and choose internet explorer
then reinstall and follow shrews instructions.

PPS>>> This is happening because those first too letters MS
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

shrew...im dumb go easy lol :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts