So I thought lego sculptures were cool..

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

And then I saw Lego logic gates. Wonder how long (if not already done) before someone makes a simple functioning lego black box.

http://goldfish.ikaruga.co.uk/logic.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

By my calculations, an Intel P4 processor built using lego logic gates would require a surface area 6/9ths that of Uranus. :|

However, such a processor would be infinitely fast since mechanical movement is not bound by the speed of light -- if you move a lever, the other end moves at exactly the same time.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
However, such a processor would be infinitely fast since mechanical movement is not bound by the speed of light -- if you move a lever, the other end moves at exactly the same time.

Um...how exactly is mechanical movement not bound by the speed of light?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
Um...how exactly is mechanical movement not bound by the speed of light?

I didn't mean the lever would move faster than the speed of light. I meant the "signal reception" from one end to the other is instantaneous. With a series of mechanical gates, you would not have to wait for an electrical impulse to pass thru them, since this could be a significant issue in a processor 6/9ths the size of Uranus. Since everything would be linked mechanically, everything would take place all at once. It's the same thing as the driveshaft in a rear wheel drive vehicle, if you see my point. Of course your truck does not reach light speed, but the transmission of energy from the engine to the wheels is instantaneous -- the engine does not have to send a signal to the wheels, they turn at exactly the same time as the engine cranks, because everything is mechanically connected.

If you had a driveshaft 4.1 light years in length connected to a typewriter on Alpha Centuri, you could communicate with readers there in real time, which would be impossible with a transmitted signal because it is bound by the speed of light.

I hope that clears things up 8)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you sure? with that lenght of a connection, you'd have to account for flex and compresstion of the line. :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts