I thought that this would interest some people

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, I actually found this on a joke site, but I felt that it had some merit to it. Thought it would be cool to get some opinions.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/God.htm
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange that it was on a jokes site :?

Some of it is very insightful and some of it is rediculous. I think the thing that annoys me the most is the stupid idea that people cannot have morality without religion (more often than not "people cannot have morality without my religion").

Christianity shouldn't be taught in schools. Appreciation of religion in general should be. There is a big difference between the two.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is also a big difference between many religions. Where do you get your morals from? When you throw out the Bible, which was the basis for our country, you start getting into everyone making their own little rules and situational ethics.
Then you get into the people who "didnt mean too" and so it was ok that they stole, or shot, or raped. Ever since we took the Bible out of schools, things have been going down the tubes.
And, I might add, the Bible talks about this. <I>The heart is decietful above all things, and desperatly wicked. Who can know it?"</I>
If we are all wicked, and we take the one SOLID source of rules and ways to live out of our schools, then where does that leave us?
I have a great deal of respect for our founding fathers, and if they believed enough in God and the Bible, then shouldnt I give it a second third, and even fourth chance?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did find that interesting. Thanks for posting it. In particular I thought this was something to think about:

Quote:
Funny how you can send a thousand 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing.

Of course I don't forward anything through email, period, ever (unless it's a legit email I need someone to read), so I won't be sending either that article or jokes, but it is still probably a fairly valid point.

I don't hide the fact that I'm a Christian or believe in God. But there is a time and a place for everything. The purpose of OZZU is to talk about webdesign. My signature leads to what my friends and I are working on for an internet place to talk about God. It's in it's infancy and who knows where it will go. At the moment I don't even spend as much time there as I should.

It does sadden me to see what has evolved over time in the schools and elsewhere. But it comes down to one simple thing. People will believe in God or they won't.

Here's an odd way to think about it. There is an HTML standard. Whether you believe in that standard or not is your choice. It doesn't mean the standard doesn't exist. It's just your choice to believe in it or not. Those who believe in the standard, usually don't have to ask for help, because the standard takes care of them. That is unless others who should believe in the standard stray from it. That's when those who believe in the standard have to ask for help. i.e. "Oh, dear standard how do I make this work, because so-and-so doesn't believe in you, and now I have to figure out how to make your principles work with what they believe in".

Oddly, those who don't believe in the standard, can usually make things work, as long as they are working within the dictates of the non-standard, but they are usually the first to cry for help saying "I can't get this to work like it's supposed to". "Well, try the standard" "But I don't believe in it! *cries. I'd rather do it the easy way!"

I guess we could sum that up as the first parable of ATNO if you'd like *lol
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice Atno.
Good post.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Valid Points by everyone. We all have our own ways of looking at, and i know that Ozzu is for web design and stuff. I though it would nioce for everyone to share thier opinions on that. The part i find disturbing is that it had to be on a joke site.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't take this part of my post the wrong way:

Quote:
The purpose of OZZU is to talk about webdesign.

It's just the way I look at it. For the most part that's why you don't see me participate much in general threads unless it's a topic I feel I can contribute to in a positive manner. For all intents and purposes the general board IS the place to talk about non-computer stuff, or things that just don't fit anywhere else.

I've got no problems at all with the topic. Just took the opportunity you provided to offer my opinion.

re: the joke site -- yeah -- it's a bit difficult to figure out why that's there too.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the designer of the site is a christian........but after looking around I would geuss not. ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
Maybe the designer of the site is a christian........but after looking around I would geuss not. ;)

I'd say Jewish, based on the Star of David graphic under the article. It would be my first guess that the person that contributed the article assumed it was a joke.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
It would be my first guess that the person that contributed the article assumed it was a joke.

Now thats unfortunate
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I agree...... It just goes to show how bad things really are getting.
:(
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sadly, you cannot have the bible in schools in this context. Not in a multicultural society and not without segregation. The only time you can justify having the bible in schools is when you are willing to add the other holy books as well, in equal measure.

I would not say that I am immoral because I have no faith. I have very strong personal morals that are based mostly about being nice to people.

I think the world religions are not that different really. When you consider the fact that three of them are descended from the same people, worship the same god and believe in jesus (admittedly in different context), are they really that different?

BTW: Marylin Manson went to a very strict christian school.... Just a thought :wink:
edit: that btw was supposed to mean "having the bible taught in school won't make us all nice litle children", it was not meant as an attack on anyone or anything and I don't want it interpreted in that way.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, My mother is a religious scholor, and she has made several connections between the differnt religions. I think its interesting really, how because some people think differnently than others, all of a sudden they are the bad guys. Maybe if enogh people thought about it, things would change. But Until then we will have to deal with it. I personally think that teaching religion in schools wont work because of as rtm said, we are so multicultural. It would cause too much friction. And as RTM also pointed out, just because you go to a Christian, or other Religion based school really doesnt determin how your going to be when you come out, so y bother? But I just think that people need to learn to accept other peoples ideas and thoughts about the Grand Scheme of things, and not put everything into one little box called religion. You should be able to accept others for who and what they are, not what they believe.

Thanks to everyone who gave thier opinion! :D IT makes for an interesting subject!
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm this is strange...

In Canada we have public school, where we do not promote religion, but if you want to show your religion you are more then welcome.

There are also schools that are dedocated to one religion (such as my Catholic one), and in these schools we openly show that religion. However people from other religions are allowed to enroll, as long as they do not openly attack the religious background of the school and participate in the religious activites of the school.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, our country is like that......excluding Christianity. Read the newspapers. Why is everyone against Christianity? Maybe its the truth that they hate to face.......
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem I have with single faith schools is if you end up with only one school in a small town, and that happens to be a religious school. Parents of a differing religion have no choice but to make their children participate in religious acts that are against their belief.

Or of course if every school is a religious school...

Who's against Christianity Smokenjoe?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

sharkshark wrote:
Yes, My mother is a religious scholor, and she has made several connections between the differnt religions. I think its interesting really, how because some people think differnently than others, all of a sudden they are the bad guys. Maybe if enogh people thought about it, things would change

Strange, my mum is a religious scholor too. The connections are there for anyone to see - well documented with facts. Sadly most people don't want to know. During the Crusades do you think that anyone stopped to think that both sides were fighting in the name of the same god. No. Because it is so much easier to label anyone different "the bad guy" and be done with it. Understanding takes effort that most people aren't willing to put in.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats cool that our mothers would be involved in the same thing! :) More people will believe things they have never seen, and may never see, before believeing something that that they can.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooh thats profound, is that a quote from someone is it your own (I may have to use that as a quote in the future :) )
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL go ahead, Im proud to say my mother said it to me. She taught me to always look between the lines and get everyones side of the story before you make your decision. In her immortal words, "Nothing is what it seems to be". Maybe thats why I like Ozzu, everyone goves their opinion!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts