Time Magazine Person of the Year: Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The creator of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg is Time Magazine's Person of the year.

Quote:
For connecting more than half a billion people and mapping the social relations among them, for creating a new system of exchanging information and for changing how we live our lives, Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is TIME's 2010 Person of the Year

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 83,00.html

Quote:
Almost seven years ago, in February 2004, when Zuckerberg was a 19-year-old sophomore at Harvard, he started a Web service from his dorm.

Facebook has come along way in just about 7 years. I remember joining Facebook shortly after I had joined Myspace. I sort of gave up on Facebook for awhile as many more of my friends were on Myspace. Things have completely changed since though, Facebook has completely taken off and Myspace is dying and on the way out. In fact I finally just canceled my Myspace account the other day. Myspace recently reoriented themselves as a social entertainment/media site now. I thought it was interesting to look at Alexa's data comparing the two:

Attachments:
facebook-myspace-graph.png

Facebook versus Myspace

Currently Google is still ranked #1, but Facebook is not far behind ranked #2 as compared to all of the other internet websites in the world.

Recently they did a movie on Facebook, called The Social Network which I saw and I have to admit it was very interesting to see all of the drama that went around Facebook.

I have to agree with Time Magazine in putting Mark Zuckerberg on the cover. What are your thoughts?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both Time & Facebook are worthless to me.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Marks Father wrote:
For some kids, their questions could be answered with a simple yes or no," he says. "For Mark, if he asked for something, yes by itself would work, but no required much more. If you were going to say no to him, you had better be prepared with a strong argument backed by facts, experiences, logic, reasons. We envisioned him becoming a lawyer one day, with a near 100% success rate of convincing juries.

I like that. I think too many people hear "no" and just leave it at that. Some people will tell you no, something's not possible. Well, why isn't it possible, what can we do to make it possible?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Both Time & Facebook are worthless to me.

I think the same, Don. Sorry guys no offense but I'm not so into Facebook, been many years since Friendster I never ever did enjoy much. I wonder if I'm the weird guy, many more people in my category, or if I have a really unique personality.

I never have problems with people happily using facebook, it's their choice and interest.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Regardless of whether or not you have participated in Facebook, over half a billion people have and its on track to becoming the most active website on the Internet. That speaks for itself, and is impressive. I will admit I only use Facebook a little of the time, but much of my family and friends are on it and participate on it much more than I do. If I was to walk up on the street and mention Facebook to a random person, chances are they will know exactly what I am talking about. Same if I was to mention the word Google.

As far as your own website and anything you do, Facebook has such a large audience that it could be a good source of traffic to your website as well. It is something in my opinion that shouldn't be ignored, even if you personally do not want to use it.

Many companies have capitalized on Facebook, such as Zynga, the company who created Mafia Wars, FarmVille, and much more. Zynga according to many articles such as this one:

http://www.usaliveheadlines.com/1830/zy ... illion.htm

is now worth over 5.5 billion dollars, and has over $250 million in revenue a year. According to that article its worth more than Electronic Arts now:

Quote:
Zynga vs. EA? Where this puts Zynga is right above one of the biggest gaming companies in the world, Electronic Arts. EA is valued at around $5.16 billion which is as you can tell, less than Zynga’s valuation. The age of social and mobile gaming is alive and Zynga has taken the lead at a fast pace.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zynga certainly helped bring back an arcade machines with people pumping quarters into them non-stop mentality for video games. As far as I remember there were arcade games, then there were console and PC games and those started to kill off arcade games, then came the browser based games that haven't really killed off console and PC games, but they're certainly rewriting the ways console and PC game makers do business.
  • samuelsun
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • samuelsun
  • Loc: Elka Park, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would agree with over half a billion people that facebook is currently the number one social networking sites, but in this world anything can go down any time. Orkut owned by google, the number one site in the world, but still couldn't compete with facebook. Facebook's collaboration with Zynga is the most interesting part for me on the facebook. But on the other hand with some of the new up-gradations, I'm loosing my interest in facebook day by day. One thing i hate about the new facebook is when comment on any of my friend or family member's picture, anyone in my friends list can check the whole album of that person, the question arises in my mind is where is the privacy policy at that time. People you don't know can see your whole picture album with only because of one comment.
But as a whole at this moment facebook is one of most common and easy way to be in touch with your family and friends regardless where ever they are.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many of that half a billion are duplicates? I did read where Facebook developed some type of php engine or something. I think someone posted here on ozzu. The only good thing about a site like that is how it's going to help the programming and server community to support such massive requests. If someone wants to spend their time on it then good for them, but privacy needs to be a big concern. I don't see any reason why someone couldn't get into your album, rip a photo, use that photo to create a duplicate account of you, pretend to be you, request and accept friends, and then converse with the friend to say meet them somewhere at a given time or even just frame someone. Actually, most people I know that use FB just get on there to spy on other people. They actually try to find a mutual friend to be-friend so they can access that persons wall/photos/etc. Everyone should take advantage of Jimmy Kimmels National un-Friend Day.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most Popular Websites

http://mostpopularwebsites.net/

Again, I have no problems with people loving to use facebook or like to use it. Just not me.

I enjoy googling, binging, and yahooing. Facebooking comes at the bottom of my list because all my friends use it. My actual friends in reality are many more than I have on fb. In reality without fb, my friends help me to do what a friend asks. I also help them to solve the problems we face in reality. Hmm, very seldom to none have I used it to complement the friendships.

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/slideshow ... emw_111010

http://forums.webmd.com/3/relationships ... emw_101310

http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ ... g-use.html

http://blogs.webmd.com/whats-new/2010/0 ... vorce.html

I have a nice link but don't know where it is now; it says by a PhD research that we don't usually talk like how we talk in a virtual world in reality, e.g. Lol and etc. That shapes the fake you in reality and further inhibits yourself to the real world.

So people tend to be more and more introverted in reality. Because they can live in a virtual world.

Again... I have no problems with people using facebook, they're still friends to me if they're also already a friend in reality.
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I have a nice link but don't know where it is now; it says by a PhD research that we don't usually talk like how we talk in a virtual world in reality, e.g. Lol and etc. That shapes the fake you in reality and further inhibits yourself to the real world.

So people tend to be more and more introverted in reality. Because they can live in a virtual world.

Again... I have no problems with people using facebook, they're still friends to me if they're also already a friend in reality.

This I agree with whole heartedly. Some Joe Smoe gets up in the morning fixes himself a cup of coffee and preceeds to turn on his/her computer. After the first boot of the day they then begin to parooze the back alleys and streets of the internet. Visiting the usual hot spots and going through the daily mail. A transformation takes place and an alter-ego emerges from the ashes of a self loathing, scared, introvert. But to stay on topic.....

I don't do the facebook, digg, myspace, twitter thing as often as most. One reason is because I actually live in the real world. I'm happy for the facebook author that he has been able to find a freedom and prominence in a vehicle of his making but, for me I consider these things/cyberplaces another form of entertainment than anything else.

Just saying!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Silvertongue62 wrote:
Quote:

This I agree with whole heartedly. Some Joe Smoe gets up in the morning fixes himself a cup of coffee and preceeds to turn on his/her computer. After the first boot of the day they then begin to parooze the back alleys and streets of the internet. Visiting the usual hot spots and going through the daily mail. A transformation takes place and an alter-ego emerges from the ashes of a self loathing, scared, introvert. But to stay on topic.....

I don't do the facebook, digg, myspace, twitter thing as often as most. One reason is because I actually live in the real world. I'm happy for the facebook author that he has been able to find a freedom and prominence in a vehicle of his making but, for me I consider these things/cyberplaces another form of entertainment than anything else.

Just saying!

+10

Same. "Real" is the key word here. I can go on you know, I'm not sure overzealous would best describe our nice moderators, well. Better stop right here.

Again, I have no problems with facebookers. Similarly, I have no problems with people who are Genesis believer. I'm very fine.

Cheers, people.
  • Silvertongue62
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Same. "Real" is the key word here. I can go on you know, I'm not sure overzealous would best describe our nice moderators, well. Better stop right here.

Again, I have no problems with facebookers. Similarly, I have no problems with people who are Genesis believer. I'm very fine.

Cheers, people.

I have no problem with facebookers either, for i have an account that i maintain. The post was basically about the man of the year slot that Mark has been slid into. I think they could have done a better job at selecting this person. Thats all!
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zuckerberg deserves to be the person of the year for 2010. If you ask me i think the award should have come much earlier and the rcognition is well deserved. Facebook has made the concept of a global village more realistic
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just heard on the news yesterday that Facebook is now valued at $50 billion US Dollars. That is now about equal to the worth of Boeing, twice as much as Yahoo, more than eBay, but less than Amazon and Google.
  • 995sunglasses
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate facebook, and I hated the movie Social Network, I can't believe I gave comcast cable 4.99 to fall a sleep on that movie!. :)
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a facebook for organizing a reunion. I still have it as I haven't befriended everyone from my graduating class yet. Facebook has caused a few arguments between my girlfriend and I and I really really really hate what facebook has done. I don't know exactly what characteristic it's changed, but it's changed people. For instance, I befriended a promiscuous girl that was in our class because my profile is mine but it's for our reunion and being class president I befriended her (though I should have made a community profile but whatever). I couldn't explain to her that she wasn't REALLY my friend. I don't like her and I don't dislike her. People think that if it's on facebook then it's fact. It's ridiculous. And it seems more people use it to just be nosey than actually communicating with someone that they want to communicate with. Really my real friends are stored in my phone and when I want to poke them or talk to them I call them. I fully agree with National Un-friend day.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts