Time Warner is extending "metered billing" to 4 more cities

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

...including mine. :x

Quote:
If you live in Rochester, NY, Austin or San Antonio, TX, or Greensboro, NC, your broadband access from TWC is about to be capped. The company is expanding its trial run from Beaumont, TX to these additional four cities, where TWC broadband customers will have to choose one of the company's tiers of service—anywhere from 5GB to 40GB per month. DSL Reports notes that all five markets lack Verizon's FiOS as an option, and TWC faces little to no competition from other providers.

http://consumerist.com/5192997/time-war ... ore-cities

This pisses me off to no end. I'm a TWC subscriber at my apartment and already pay $40/month for mediocre service. Luckily, I'll be moving to a different apartment next year with a direct connection to RIT's network, but this certainly gives me one hell of a reason to get out of this city after graduation.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd be pissed off too if Comcast tried something like that. That is the crappiest thing I've seen them do yet.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm writing a letter to TWC this weekend and encouraging others to do so as well.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

WTF? some companies just like to keep sqeezing
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could see charts plotting the level of usage by their subscribers in relation to the number of subscribers in the area. I bet it would be a map with high-usage-to-low-subscriber-ratio areas showing us where this will happen next.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
...including mine. :x

I thought you lived in Edinburgh, Scotland? :hmm:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.stoptwc.info

If any of you feel so inclined, an email to TWC explaining why tier-based service is a step backwards would be a great help.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not saying anything until I see graphs.

If I'm in an area with high subscriber-to-usage ratios it would be in my best interest for you guys to get capped. Nothing personal. :)

But yeah, if I'm next in line I'll be happy to complain with everyone else. :D
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I'd be pissed off too if Comcast tried something like that. That is the crappiest thing I've seen them do yet.

Hasn't Comcast already capped their users? Its extremely high though, something like 250 gigs a month.

I hope they don't make that cap a nation wide thing anytime soon, I'm moving into an apartment with 2 other guys, we all play wow extensively and watch Hulu because we aren't planning on getting cable.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know if they have or not Spoof. If they have it certainly hasn't affected me, and I'd venture to say I'm probably their heaviest user in my area.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast has capped their users, but I'm not sure if it's regionalized. I have a friend who's working in Boston at the moment and he said his service is capped, but like Spoof said, the cap is high enough that it doesn't affect him.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to South-Africa people, I pay my ass off for uncapped ... I pay R1500 ($165) per month, and that's the cheapest uncapped we have ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Holy *pineapple* RT ! :shock:

I pay less half of that for Internet and cable TV.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I have the fastest internet line our country has commercially available ... 4mbps ... and let me clarify, 4 megabits per second and not 4 megabytes per second ... which means my maximum download speed is 460kbps ... on a great day when no one else is using the internet ... When lots of people are acessing the net (5pm-9pm) it drops down to a maximum of about 200kbps, depending on the day ...

Our "cable" is called DSTV, that's the closest we have, it's 82 channels at a whopping R500 ($55) per month, with an installation cost of about R1000 ($110) ... And the worst part for me is, our currency is so weak, and then we still pay so much for everything. Third World Country FTL.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woot, looks like our district rep. is attempting to prohibit this type of capping.

http://stopthecap.com/2009/04/07/breaki ... pposition/

@R_T: Holy crap that sucks. Is all of S.A. on the same provider?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
@R_T: Holy crap that sucks. Is all of S.A. on the same provider?

Yeah, we have only one line service provider (Telkom), so they can do what they want ...
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Time Warner will give you back your unlimited access...you just have to pay a bit more for it...heh

http://www.dailytech.com/Time+Warner+Unlimited+Internet+for+150+Per+Month/article14820.htm
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, $150/month for what now costs me $40/month? No thanks, I'll switch to Comcast.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spared for another day...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Time Warner Cable (TWC) is putting aside unpopular plans to test metered Internet service. The company says it is "shelving" the trials while it educates consumers and rolls out tools to help its subscribers measure how much bandwidth they consume per month.

That is good news. I think this is a terrible idea, especially because they are trying it out in markets that they basically have a monopoly in. I have a friend in San Antonio Texas who uses them and he has no comparable alternatives that he could use, so he would be forced to use them.

The bad news is it only sounds temporary for now. I hope this doesn't work out as they are planning as I would hate to see other companies trying to adopt this.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30252543/

Rochester, NY for the win!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts