Tips To Keep Your Sanity

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Always get enough sleep.
2. Never carry all of your files and back-ups on you at one time.
3. Do not put down your laptop in a public place EVER.
4. Do not turn your back to said laptops in public places EVER.
5. Do not go anywhere you don't want to.
6. Don't drop your train tickets onto the tracks.
7. Follow your gut. If you want to stay in bed, stay in bed.

I had my laptop stolen today, from the train station. In the bag was also 4000 of my original images, on an external hard drive with no password protection. On my computer was a tutorial I had been writing for Ozzu (I'll get back on that as soon as I can).

On a bright note, I hated that computer. It was slow, noisy and generally annoying. I found so many design flaws. The USB ports were playing up, and wouldn't even recognise my mouse half of the time. Maybe it will provide me with a chance to rid myself of Vista Home Basic. I'm hoping my father will agree to loan me the money to get another one.

So guys, any more tips you have for keeping your sanity?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good article.
I found it's so hard to get enough sleep. :shock:

Laptop is convenient for us,but also convenient for the thief or business spy.We have to take care of it.But,still,accidents always occur......

I'm sad to hear you lose the laptop and your treasure images...Hope you get a better one soon.Good luck.Breeze.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm guessing it wasnt insured, they always pin laptop theft on the owner anyway. The images sound like a bad loss, hard luck :(
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If one was to lose their sanity, would they be aware of it, necessarily? :)

Seriously, Breeze, even though you didn't have any affinity for the computer, it still seems like a personal violation to be robbed. So, that just plain sucks - bad. Sorry for you and your sanity, sir.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your biggest loss with losing the laptop, is probably your original images. I know if my computer/laptop was stolen, I would be most upset about any work that was completely loss. It make me angry when people take from others hard earned work and don't think about what they could be doing to someone.

Anyway sorry to hear about what happened. Back when I was in college I was in a black and white photography class and left my sister's $900 camera out in the other room (in my backpack) while I went into the dark room. When I came out it was gone, and I remember how much anger I felt from that. I felt completely violated and literally sick to my stomach. I paid my sister all the money she needed to buy herself a new camera. You just gotta move forward.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really sorry to hear about that. I know if i were you and lost all the images like that i'd be very angry. You have alot of really good stuff too, so i can imagine the pain of losing that work.

Brian, i never knew you did a photography course. You should share some of your work sometime. I'd really like to see you post a few of your own photos in the Photography forum.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is kinda contrary to common suggestion, but leaving a $20 on a table when you start a new job can save you worse headaches than losing that $20 down the road.

I was a waiter for one day in a small resturaunt and I left $20 sitting on the counter in the back where only employees can go. That $20 bill was gone at the end of the nite. I never went back. I will not even eat there anymore.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

pssht, money in the restaurant business is gold joe, been there done that. I've worked with too many addicts in the past to try that one. Restaurants are the perfect way to get the quick and easy money, off the books (cash tips, at least) and in your pocket each shift. I always had to watch my stuff around the shady folks. I've even had waiters try to rip off the safe during check out, etc.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fast food is really bad. I don't think I've ever met someone in fast food that doesn't memorise the totals so they don't have to record sales on the register. There's a lot of managers in on it too which allows them to leave the money in the drawer and split it at the end of the nite.

There was a steak place around here that went out of business a few years back because of financial problems. What most people don't know is that this place had cash registers you can buy in Office Depot or any resturaunt supply store, which a lot of the mangers did, and used to re-ring an entire nite worth of sales to hide the $500+ they were putting in their pocket.
  • Wicked_Goddess
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's my tips tho..

1. Never think of your personal problems at work.
2. Always take a bath
3. Sleep right
4. Eat full meals
5. Find time to nap if you can't sleep.
6. Have a good Time management.
7. Never bring your laptop to public places, it's better to have a desktop at home.
8. Don't put things anywhere and everywhere.
9. Clean your room.
10. Exercise
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, not insured Bozebo :(

digitalMedia wrote:
If one was to lose their sanity, would they be aware of it, necessarily?

Hahaha, good point!

It's just so violating, like BWM said. :| That reminds me, I need to get some darkroom work done next week, I've got an assignment due :O.

What gets to me the most os the loss of my images. A year's wortg of them just gone ... I still have them and the experiences they brought, but I feel lost without the files. Oh the woes of digital. My biggest concern is if someone uses those images for themselves or sells them, even. I am still the creater of those images though, and the EXIF data tells them what camera took the images, but I think I would have a hard time proving they were mine unless someone uses the ones that are on deviantART. Does EXIF data record the serial number of the camera as well?

I have been disenchanted with photography since yesterday morning. IT's nearing sunset now here, and there's a mountain-thing here I could climb to get some pictures from. I might start rebuilding my image library.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Does EXIF data record the serial number of the camera as well?

My point-n-shoot doesn't, but I see a few results via Google that claim some cameras do.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
Does EXIF data record the serial number of the camera as well?

My point-n-shoot doesn't, but I see a few results via Google that claim some cameras do.

I searched Flickr for an image taken with an E-510 like I've got, and apparently it does: http://www.flickr.com/photos/minebeyaz/3391698580/meta/
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Breeze,
How's everything going recent days? :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze, were the photos you took on the US ship at Sydney Harbour some that were on laptop?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to hear about your loss Breeze... good luck
  • Vatson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that would preserve their psyche in order of need to empty, eat at least 3 times a day and try to apply to all with a smile. even the largest print you can muffle their attitude to it, and if you do it so sad that you have become easier: Drink your favorite juice, go take a walk in the park, call your girl (guy). And most importantly, remember that even if something bad happened to the mean will soon happen something good.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts