Tired of Nigerian Scam Emails?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may be seeing quite a few less of them in the very near future.

Quote:
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC has shut down no fewer than 800 scam websites and arrested members of 18 syndicates behind the fraudulent scheme in a renewed bid to clap down on internet fraudsters through an initiative tagged ” project eagle claw”.

Quote:
“Over 800 fraudulent e-mail addresses have been identified and shut down. The EFCC is fine tuning security modalities with Microsoft and upon full deployment, the capacity to take down fraudulent e-mails will increase to 5,000 monthly. Further it is projected that advisory mails to be sent to victims and potential victims will be about 230,000 monthly.

“There have been 18 arrests of high profile syndicates operating cyber crime organizations.”

http://www.pointblanknews.com/os2334.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

WooHoo!!!!!

But what about these guys? Are they going to have to find a new hobbie?

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now all they need to do is sort out phishing sites and at least 50% of the emails sent to everyone will disappear.
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do get email regarding "Lottery and winning prize" every now and then.

Can't we trap them and teach them a lifetime lesson?
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My company email is flooded daily by the likes of these either from Nigeria or Spain. It all started when I signed up with an ad posting site. Should they be arrested, too?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm happy to report that I don't get any scamming emails... I only get like 50 advertisements a day though :(

My filters are growing by 50 email addresses a day... I wonder if I can block by IP rather than email addresses...
  • Ferral
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ciber crime profitable today. Apparently this is a good reason.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jenie0109 wrote:
My company email is flooded daily by the likes of these either from Nigeria or Spain.

Back at my old job we had our own email server with about 250 or so accounts on it. We were getting 1000 incoming emails from the outside world each hour, but only 60-70 of them were not spam. We had a pretty good filter that got the most of them, but that is still a lot of wasted bandwidth with all the junk coming in.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I installed a Barracuda spam blocker in front of my email server last year. It's blocked over 3.5 million attempts of bad email coming in.

Awesome!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The biggest thing we did to sift out the crap was by registering an SPF record for ourselves. Then anything that wasn't tagged as spam by the filter, but didn't pass the SPF thing got sent to a special folder in the users outlook.
  • mistercrooks
  • mistercrooks

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone can recommend a solid (and free) spam email filter, please do so. I'm always on the look out.
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its like a vicious circle, its human brains and it comes up with new plans. I am sure i will keep seeing something else so it would not suprise me to expect something else instead. I still keep getting flooded with lottery scams, pills etc.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a distant relative who is hooked on one of these fellas. No matter what her family tries to say or do to her, she continually sends him money every week from her check. She now has no home, no car, and about to lose her job.

The place where she sent her money orders turned it in as fraud. UPS turned it in as fraud. She continues to eat his lies. Shame, really.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If someone is that devoted to being scammed there probably isn't anything anyone can do to save her. Eventually she'll come to her senses.

I had a Russian dame try to get me to send her money so that she could buy an airline ticket to come to America to be with me. I scam baited her into sending me a copy of her passport and I did a little bit of research and discovered it was a fake like I was expecting. I can't remember where I found it, but there was a site that showed different passports with different names and stuff on them, but the picture was the same person and sure enough she was one of them, or should I say four of them. She even sent me a picture of her (not a nude pic like I was pushing for) holding a sign that said "My LOVE Mike". The lady holding the sign was the same lady in the pass port photo, so it couldn't be too difficult for the proper authorities to find her and bust her. All of a sudden she quit replying to my emails, I'm so heart broken.....
  • advisortrevor
  • Born
  • Born
  • advisortrevor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get rid of them thru Online email Scammer....
  • sweetfranky
  • sweetfranky

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a start but they will never stop these guys. If I lived in Nigeria, I would be doing this too. D:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts