Too much time on the Computer

• 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone here ever have a pain in their right thumb? I think it's from controlling the mouse. Now I'm sort of worried because my mom said it's arthritus, but I'm only 18 and I don't won't it to go cronic on me.

Also I get a pain in my lower hip alot. Iono. Maybe it's just me. Yes I stay on the computer from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed at night. When I'm not out shopping, I'm on my computer. And when I'm out shopping, I'm THINKING about my computer.

Do you guys ever feel any discomfort?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhmm...addiction?

No I get mostly the pain in the lower back, and newer chairs are supposed to have additional support for that...the name escapes me, but thats about it. Depending how I type I might get a short case of carpel tunnels sydrome. But nothing else.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I spend a good deal of time on my computer but I try to take a break at least every hour. I know it's difficult to tear yourself away from the computer, (I remember how I was when I was younger) but it's something you should force yourself to do. Go outside, get some excersize, stretch.

If your symptoms persist, you should see a doctor.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

After about 3 hours of either soldering, reading, or basic coding I get pain from my eyes but the eye doc told me that I should take a 15 minute break from the computer every 30 minutes which like JrzyCrim said I find very hard to do when you are caught up in the process. And as the years pass and you get deeper and deeper in the pool of computer knowledge it gets harder. But pasture makes a big difference. It can be a weird feeling when you first setup your self, but after awhile it becomes second nature.
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Loc: Deer Park, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

ehm... i'm blind in one eye, and i cant see out the other :D

thats about the only computer related problems i have....
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was 18 I used to spend my waking moments to sleeping moments on the net! I used to get pain in mr right wrist.
I took a year off the computer when I got bored and came back to 5hrs a day until I fell pregnant at 20. I then barely came on, but September 2002 when I created my parents site and started getting into web design I never went to bed until 3am then up at 7am to get back on. Pain started again but this time also in my lower back so this year I made it my aim to only have my net times from 7am till 1am Monday to Wednesday then only days Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7am till 5pm and went out the nights and my pain reduced again.

Take some time out. Hang out with your friends or find another hobbie. I also can't stop thinking about my computer when I'm away from it cos I have some awesome friends online but you need to think of your health!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

take regular breaks, make sure your seat is a supported and comfortable one (the kitchen chair just wont do you any good :lol: ) you can get silicon filled wrist rests which help support your hand and lessen the soreness which can happen by moving the mouse around too much (there is a small bone in your wrist (hold your right hand palm side up and its on the left hand side of your wrist) if your anything like me and you compare both hands your right one will be red and sometimes sore. umm other cool stuff to do to help improve computer use strain is to get up and stretch every half an hour or as often as you need to. also helps to focus on objects further away than the screen (this is good for your eyes) but stretching is the best best thing you can do for your body, there are so many websites on ones you can do :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts