Top 500 rock songs of all time

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For those who are fans of new and (mostly) classic rock, a local radio station back home is counting down the top 500 rock songs of all time as voted by its listeners.

They're on #15 at the moment, so for those who are online at the moment, you can probably catch the top 10 within the next hour or so.

http://www.rocket101.com/

Click on "Listen Live" in the upper left corner.

#15 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
#14 - Ted Nugent - Stranglehold
#13 - AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
#12 - (missed it)
#11 - Alice in Chains - Rooster
#10 - Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
#9 - Nirvana - Come As You Are
#8 - Led Zeppelin - Whole Lot of Love
#7 - AC/DC - Highway to Hell
#6 - Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
#5 - Pearl Jam - Even Flow
#4 - AC/DC - Hell's Bells
#3 - Metallica - Enter Sandman
#2 - Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
#1 - Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

I'm disappointed :/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having been around when classic rock was made and having been at the original Woodstock, I can tell you that the classic rock stations of today are only playing a very small portion of what existed then.

For example, you never hear anything from Bloodwyn Pig, Love (Arthur Lee), McKendre Spring, Sweetwater, Country Joe McDonald, just to name a few. If they play something from the Jefferson Airplane or the Moody Blues, it's same 3 songs over and over again and there is no chance the I'll ever hear anything Dean Friedman. I stopped listening to commercial radio once they started with play lists and took the choices away from the DJ.

http://www.bluesradio.co.uk for blues 24/7, no talk, no commercials.

Besides that, it's only college radio for me where it's still the DJ's choice and not some marketer.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

A local radio station started up here (the 3rd major station in the local area) when i was living in Australia (between end of Sept 07 to mid Feb 08) and they play alot of current and old classic songs. The other two big stations (one is just a sub station of the other) just play up to date crap which generally tends to be pretty poor. I have a feeling this new station is a bit more relaxed on what the DJ plays and what he can't.

I mean, hearing AC/DC or the Steve Miller Band on any other local radio station is almost unheard of. Even on the request shows you won't here it.

Regarding the list, i can't say that it's the best list ever. Of all the AC/DC songs listed "Back in Black" wasn't even there which on it's own is a disappointment. They should have scrapped "Highway to Hell" and changed that to "Back in Black" and maybe knocked it up a few places and i'd be a little bit happier.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why should they scrap one for the other? Why can't they play both?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
as voted by its listeners

I suspect the list is not entirely an accurate representation of the whole. I think if a sample larger than the "local listeners" was used (say the entire US for example), the top 500 would have probably looked a whole lot different.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Why should they scrap one for the other? Why can't they play both?

To be honest, i'm not familiar with all on the list although i know that of the two aforementioned AC/DC songs i think "Back in Black" should have been the one on the list and not "Highway to Hell". It's not that i don't like "Highway to Hell", i just don't think it's really in the top 15 rock songs of all time.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like AC DC at all but my point is that there shouldn't be a list. We don't need lists. Who cares what songs sold the most and where they placed on some chart? We don't need charts either. All we need is a station that lets the DJ play whatever he or she chooses. It used to be that way and it still is on some college radio stations. We are being cheated by the corporate media. I refuse to listen to commercial radio.
  • justontime
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • justontime

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't agree with that list in my opinion Pink Floyd should have been among the first 10 with at least one song .
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The real problem with that list is that The Who isn't on it, when The Who should take almost every spot on the list - "Won't Get Fooled Again" is the greatest rock song of all time.

I'm pretty much with Don2007 though - I sometimes listen to radio in the car, but otherwise, I'll keep my CDs and listen on the web (Pandora + Musicovery + Rhapsody = All the music I need) rather than hear the same preprogrammed line of nonsense again and again.

We had one station back in Indiana called "The Sound" that was not too bad. They didn't let the DJs run everything, but they played by request music for several hours every day and took just about any request no matter how out there (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Moby, and "Jesus Was a Crossmaker" by the Hollies all in a row - not typical radio fare).
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob Bramble wrote:
We had one station back in Indiana called "The Sound" that was not too bad. They didn't let the DJs run everything, but they played by request music for several hours every day and took just about any request no matter how out there (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Moby, and "Jesus Was a Crossmaker" by the Hollies all in a row - not typical radio fare).

We have a station like that aswell ... "Tuks fm" ... a local university radio station ... each day they have what they call "Total Radio Takeover" where they take a whole 3 hours worth of requests ... nothing in between ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts