Traffic has dropped to the point where i am about to give up

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been working on my angrybird projects for a while now and they were not small projects and i have invested a lot of money over the last 2 years in helping hands, gfx designers, coders, writers and everything was going well google was pumping money out and everything was great and i was really happy. Then after the google panda update my traffic dropped at least 50%-70% and now i am just getting over the min of google payments from $1000's.

Now it just feels like a waste of time, money and effort. I want to throw in the towel right now but i really don't know where to take the next step in keeping this small business active. My partner invested lots of money as well just as things started falling apart, basically i am stuck without a clue what to do about how i can move forward again.

i find it very disappointing that after soo much time learning and working on a dream and it starts looking good then within 3 months it goes down the tube so yea if anyone has any idea's to try and recover what is left.

Any idea's would be appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, your site was generating upwards of $1000 a month? if that's the case then you must have had some amount of traffic coming to the site.

So i have to ask, what happened to everyone? If you want to make this a business you need to take advantage of the time when it comes and capitalise on it. If you want to make money from it you need to work fast and give people a reason to want to come back and visit again.

It's not just on the internet, if you have any business you obviously want to encourage people to come back. What good is a business if you only have one or two returns and then no more? eventually people will stop returning. In order for people to return the content needs to be different and interesting every single time they visit. If you have a news section then why not update it as often as you can to let people know that you are actively working on new things... although this is not an ideal option.

What i am struggling to understand is why have you gone to the trouble of creating three websites? On the shop website you have iphone covers for phones yet you are encouraging people to buy 10 in order to get 10% off (at least that's what i think you mean by "10% per unit for buying at least 10") yet you only have 8 products for sale. Are you trying to be a wholesaler? if not then encourage people to spend more money with a buy two get one free deal or something like that. I decided that i quite liked the black iPhone 4 cover, so went ahead to purchase one and came across this screen...

Attachments:
angry.jpg

Not only does it seem to display funny on Google Chrome, but the page isn't secure. Nothing about this page makes me feel safe in spending any money with you. With the Sony hackings recently online safety has become one of these issues that alot of people take into consideration more, so why scare people off with this unprofessional unsafe page? I've spent some time focusing on this particular site because of all the 3 this is the only website that seems to have any possible revenue streams other than the adverts you have on the angrybirdtube site.

Why don't you integrate all websites together, make them just one website with different areas. I think your main page should be the angrybirdtube page with easy access to the other areas. Don't have the silly "press play to enter" button as you are providing people with an obstacle before actually getting to the website. Of the three the one with most appeal to me is the videos, people will come back to view more videos if they are added regularly. If people return they may be tempted to purchase a few items.

One more thing, does the Angry Birds team know you are making money out of their products?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was making anywhere from $50 to a peak of $80 a day in Adsence midyear like it was starting to pay off so i started investing into expanding the project. The main site is getting into the 100k mark, now i went to check my first server and i must of deleted my old account but checking My Google Analytic Account i can see that mid year there was a peak of 500k visits which sounds about right but still looking for screen shot i am sure i got one somewhere.
Attachments:
newnagrystat.png

New server stat

So once i started to see serious traffic and Google was paying off i started to get a team together, one problem after another. Then there was server issues that Joomla would not work on my new VPS so i got told that having a separate site would have it working and it would be better for SEO so i was like fine just get it done i got stock i need to move.

Now as for the updates i was using Facebook for status updates and was handy for getting market research back from the community quickly with a few 100 friends so it is building up and providing some research and also i had some artists do some work and draw up some fan art for some content. Which soon after that got to thinking about using clip-bucket for a angrybirds Youtube, which i got done in a few weeks and traffic is flowing there but more so it was there for more ad space for the shop. But i really hate how the shop turned out tho :(

Now the 3 different sites, really i have no idea i figured it would be better for SEO to link back to each other and may help my standing with SE. Clip bucket needed it's own server for what it does so i put it there, then my host was complaining that i had too much traffic so i had to move the main site over to the VPS but turns out there was just a lot of bots hitting the server and he could not take the load with his other clients.

I wanted the shop worked into the main site but as mentioned before stupid developer told me it would work better as a stand alone site with adverts back to it also it did not work well on the fresh server so had to revert back to old one just to get it working.

Now the shop i can see your point but they are single prices and 10 pack prices, partner wanted some bulk prices so to stop him complaining i did it. Now i can see your point where i am now going to remove that. Also SSL i do agree but i have not set the shop up and the person that made it did a slap together job and left it so i am going to need to pull it apart and figure it out.

I have just got new stock in with leather hard covers and i was going to do a dual pack(1x hard cover + 1x Leather cover for $20) but i have not placed the products in yet but guess there is not much point apart till SSL is in, as for the security issues i don't blame you and that may be the problem.

Now that attachment i have asked for it to be fixed but i got told that the whole template needs to be rebuild to make it fit and there is no code that will fix it so that was a middle finger of a answer really. dam free lancers at times lol but i am stuck with it till i have something professional built and they want $500 for the new shop so i need to get some cash together for a pro job to be done.

Now i may need to start looking at putting everything into the 1, should be fun and a lot of coffee. But as for the play button the idea for the new theme for the site was to make it app like similar to the game itself, just buttons and simple layout. Seamed to work so far as i have had at least 500 great work emails this year from people happy with what i have done.

Now as for Rovio itself that is a funny story....lol

As far as i know i was the first person to make a dedicated angrybird fan site with walkthroughs when the birds where first released into the wild, then after contacting Rovio about it they sent me a close down email but nothing official just a stop what your doing. I was not happy with it so i explained my position that i am a student web developer and this is the first project that has worked for me. Then after explaining who i was and what i wanted to do they seamed to let me go and help out and really i would be promoting then so what is the harm, few weeks pass and a few emails then i get in contact with one of their developers via Skype and got chatting with them and kept them updated on my progress and everything was fine. they liked what i was doing and i guess they just let it slide. So i still have this person on skype and keep em updated on progress and promote for them where i can.

After that 10 other sites popped up and i was sitting in high rankings in google for angrybirds walkthrough sites and using a keyword name just gave me instant traffic that i could not tell where it came from from there it just went up and up and after 6 it was running great and more work it kept improving another 6 months i was in the half mill visits a month. Then after Mid year the Google panda update things just crashed and dropped 50% traffic and seams to be getting worse and not recovering.

what a long post, hope it can be translated haha
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to completely knock you, but I am pretty sure Rovio won't be seeing you as a valuable asset in "Angry Birds" promotion. If anything they see you as little threat to their commercial business. If it becomes obvious that you are inheriting alot from this I am sure they may do something about it.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Not to completely knock you, but I am pretty sure Rovio won't be seeing you as a valuable asset in "Angry Birds" promotion. If anything they see you as little threat to their commercial business. If it becomes obvious that you are inheriting alot from this I am sure they may do something about it.

But that is the thing, i am not overly a few grand here and there. Some private advertising at times but yes as you say i am a little fish but when i was clearing half million visits every month i was clearing $1000's from adsence every month. Which some was reinvested into the project and the rest my pocket, if the db was up to date constantly with every expansion pack every few months it would be better results. But really compared to what Rovio is pulling i am a bleep on the radar but the site still makes money.

As for being a small asset yes your right but this site keeps their fans playing and going, if the weaker players get stuck too much they will drop the game.

either way legal is my issue at the end of the day, but this was the project that got me started and so i am going to keep going hell or high water.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts