Ubuntu Edge

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
This beautifully crafted smartphone is a proving ground for the most advanced mobile technologies on the horizon, a showpiece for true mobile innovation. And at the heart of it all is convergence: connect to any monitor and this Ubuntu phone transforms into an Ubuntu PC, with a fully integrated desktop OS and shared access to all files.

We’re fascinated by converged computing, the idea that the smartphone in your pocket can also be the brain of the PC on your desk. We’ve shaped Ubuntu so you can transition seamlessly between the two environments. Now all that’s needed is a phone that’s designed from the ground up to be a PC as well.

The Ubuntu Edge is our very own superphone, a catalyst to drive the next generation of personal computing.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

I've been waiting for this "all-in-one" type computing for a long time. I talked about it a lot back in 2010 with some friends and thought that maybe Apple was going to go this direction with the iPad. The first time I saw it (I believe) was with the Motorola Atrix. I was also really hoping I'd see Microsoft take off this with and the Surface. I saw it as an amazing idea for college students especially. The surface is by far the coolest little tablet, and has the slickest keyboard. I figured with the surface having the desktop being still available (even with the RT) they would allow you to doc it to a external screen and have it seamlessly sync with your windows phone, or at least have access to your files (even if they weren't on your phone, ala remote file system).

It'd be a great little setup for college students, ~500 tablet, ~$200 phone, a small docking station with an external hdd for storing pictures / music and other media.

Take the tablet with you on campus with the keyboard-case and you have a great way to read, check email, take notes in class. Take it back to our dorm , dock it and you have a computer with a large screen. big enough to read your notes, have a word document open and maybe a browser window for research.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. There are rumors Apple is doing this for the next iPad. It would switch seamlessly between iOS and Mac OSX. If you had it connected to the dock, it would be OSX, if it were separate it would be iOS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts