Ugh, insomnia

• Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I've been diagnosed with Primary insomnia...
I went to the doctor today after not sleeping for like 1 week and 1 day and he told me it was prolly caused by my irregular sleeping patterns (between school and the homework I get from AP classes, baseball, and work I find little time for sleep.) or he says it could be the stress of it... Hopefully Ill get some sleep soon, I cant really function right without it, imagine being fatigued and not being able to think all the time...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh wow, that sounds pretty serious. Are you in school AND working at a job? No wonder you're not finding the time to relax...I say let it all out and slug that baseball. Also, jogging or some other cardiovascular activity should help relieve stress too if you have any.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, pounding a ball with a aluminum bat is good for relieving stress.. I actually do jog alot to keep in shape for baseball, I love to jog I don't think about nething else cept the music I got playing and if I dont got any music playing I usually check out the city, I luv chicago.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try self-hypnosis. It works. Lie flat on your back at whatever time you are going to go to bed, and fold your hands over your stomach -- I know that's a bit like a vampire thing, but try it! note: if you fold your hands over your chest or any higher than your stomach, you'll lose blood flow and you'll wake up with your hands asleep.) Close your eyes and mentally tell your toes to relax. Keep it up until you feel them relax. After you feel them start to relax move up to your feet, then ankles etc...

Start at the bottom and work yourway up. You'll start to realise you don't feel your toes, or feet or so on as you work this process. In the meantime remind yourself that you are going to "wake up at 6 AM (or whatever time) feeling restful and refreshed".

I guarantee you before you get to your chest you'll be asleep and wake up at the preset time without an alarm clock. I've been doing this for years when I can't sleep. Odd part is that if you get this one down, you can wake up in exactly the same position you fell asleep in without all the tossing and turning.

It's also good during this process to remind yourself of things you want to remember and think of instantly when you wake up.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ill try it, Ill try nething to get some sleep...

//Caution: Getting your sleep through a series a naps throughout the day can cuause Insomnia
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nego wrote:

//Caution: Getting your sleep through a series a naps throughout the day can cuause Insomnia

So can too many cups of coffee! *lol
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

So can too many cups of coffee! *lol

THATS WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!
:D

//how does the new footer look?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehehe I don't drink coffee...or anything with caffeine besides ice tea, and I think it doesn't effect me that much anymore.

//Is that what you were working on? Looks great!
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it was! I had some help from a friend. That is my handwriting by the way! I have plenty of cool ideas in my head right now! I am going to work on them before i forget them!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

fight club anyone?

The first rule of fight club is.... :twisted:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do like it. I just haven't said so until now.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

*gasps*

UNFLUX! We can't talk about THAT! shhh! :-P
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not getting adequate sleep is a very serious problem. Most problems like that are caused by stress, these things are brought on pressures at school, work, home etc. You need to work on resolving any issues that are causing you to worry or feel anxious.

Meditation is also a wonderful way to get sleep. Listening to guided commentaries can lull you into relaxtion, which results in the body being comfortable enough to fall asleep naturally.

Try to get it resolved soon, as when you go without sleep for a long time you tend to end up using prescription or illegal drugs to help you, and those will only make the problem a lot worse.

*hugs* :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Meditation is also a wonderful way to get sleep. Listening to guided commentaries can lull you into relaxtion, which results in the body being comfortable enough to fall asleep naturally.

Do lectures count as guided commentaries? they always do that to me! :-D
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
fight club anyone?

The first rule of fight club is.... :twisted:

Haha, thats the first thing I thought of when the doctor told me I had primary insomnia...
Well, I just went through another day without sleep, my doctor says Im too young for sleeping pills (im 16) and that I should try just to go to sleep at the same time every day so that I can create a pattern and if I ever do get some sleep It will be less likely that I ever get insomnia it again.
I tried that hypnosis method you described ATNO/TW it relaxed the hell out of me I just laid there for like 4hours like that closing my eyes but being abel to fall asleep sort of like a sleep like trance.
Insomnia sucks, it leaves your body and mind unable to function, its hard to concentrate on something. I start my finals Monday (tomorrow) and Its hard to study, I cant really comprehend the words Im looking at much less concentrate on what I am reading, sort of like my eyes are just going across a bunch of words.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That relaxation thing is a great start! Felt good, didn't it? Your mind has complete control over your body if you let it. Don't give up after one night. Do it again tonight. As your doctor recommended, get into a regular sleep pattern. Even if you don't fall asleep immediately, the relaxation will provide some benefit. Not as good as REM but close. While you're in that state, review the things in life that are troubling you or causing you stress, and just keep telling yourself that it's not worth losing sleep over.

As you follow the previously defined method, keep mentally reminding yourself that "I am going to get a good night's rest." I think if you continue this method for a week non-stop, you'll be sleeping like a baby next week. Keep it up!

Right now, I fall asleep almost instantly when I hit the bed and wake up almost exactly 5 hours later (that's all I need). It's a matter of training.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds good..
I'm gonna try it for a while since I've already began to see some results, hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight because tomorow I have my first day of finals.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool. Add these thoughts tonight as you try the process again. ATNO was right...I am going to fall asleep and get a good night's rest. I am going to do well on my final. *smiles

Sleep well.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

//rose whacks you on the head with a big stick

:bash:

Now sleep! :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao at rose

I have to pick myself off the floor. Good one!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahahahaaaa bet he is :sleeping: now tho!!

In the morning this will be him! :blackeye:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik, I think you hit him too hard with that stick! He seems to be "out"! *lol
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago