Umm. I connected a 110V Xbox360 to a 220v supply

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okey okey. Dont tell me how big an idiot i am, ive already got that from alot of people and i dont want to hear it again. Please.. Anyway so this is what happened:

I got a 360 today and i wanted to connect it .. i took a multi tap and connected it to a power supply (220v) and then i took the 360's(110v) cables and connected it to the multitap :(. A few sparks came and then my multitap stopped working. I thought it was a faulty multitap so i replaced it with another one.. Now that im using the other one.. No sparks or anything come and the multitap is working but when i connect the 360 cables.. Nothin happens no electricity flows through it.

Can someone Pleaseeeeeeee tell me what to do? I think ive burnt this:

pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/psu/xbox_360-power_supply.jpg

See the big black thing? I think thats burnt. Please dont tell me that the 360 is burnt.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there's a surge protector built into that box you should be able to simply buy another one of the boxes.

If there's no surge protector built in, you might be able to send it in and get it serviced, though I doubt for free.

By the way, where'd you finally decide to get one from ?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

from this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906103/
Quote:
The power supply has several built-in safeguards to help prevent damage to either the console or the power supply itself. The power supply will automatically turn off in cases of too much current flow, too-high voltage, or too-high temperature. When such a condition exists, the light on the power supply will turn from green (normal) to orange or to red, or the light will turn off. When the power supply light is green, the power supply is correctly functioning.

From that, it would seem that your console is fine, but you probably tripped something in the power supply, or possible damaged the power supply.

Check this page and follow the instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907588
There are several links there depending on the power supply light (Green, Orange, Red or off).

For future reference, ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure that your electronics are compatible with the power system of the area you are in, not just to prevent damage to the electronics, but to prevent electrical fires, explosions and even injury or death.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt buy the system .. My bro was coming from chicago and he couldnt find the PS3 so he bought me the 360. I think the 360 is pretty easily availible unlike the PS3 so it was no issue in finding a 360 console.

Ill get a 110v to 220v convertor today and use it and see how it goes.

Meanwhile ill do this and i hope it works.
"Let the power supply cool for several hours. The power supply may have overheated. The power supply should again work after it cools. Adequate cooling may take several hours. Make sure that the power supply has sufficient ventilation during the cooling period. Do not try to turn on the console during the cooling period."
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"For future reference, ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure that your electronics are compatible with the power system of the area you are in, not just to prevent damage to the electronics, but to prevent electrical fires, explosions and even injury or death"

You dont need to tell me that .. Im always going to do that. I actually knew that it was a 110v xbox but i saw my bro's laptop which was also a 110v and it was connected safely to my extension cord and it was working. So i said why not? Unfortunately it didnt work for the Xbox
  • Omegalove
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Omegalove
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your xbox working now? how did u do it?

I connected a 110V Xbox360 to a 220v supply, what should i do? is the xbox 360 damaged? ow long dos it takes to repair?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Dont tell me how big an idiot i am,

Dont blame yourself alamode. actually, its the tech engineers who designed those devices who are to blame. they are the idiots. they didn't foresee the situation that XBOX ARE NOT ONLY FOR COUNTRIES WITH 110V! they should have a multi-voltage power supply (110~220v) included in that package. Most of electrical appliances today has autovolt power supply. i wonder why not xbox as well?

anyways, i do really suspect that power supply was already damaged. yes it has a safeguard mechanism for current surge but not for voltage shift. buy a new power supply if indeed it was really burnt out.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i got it repaired guys and i had to buy a big transformer to convert 220 to 110 volts. And Omegalove dont worry, most probably your power supply has been damaged and you should go get that repaired. Or buy a new one and also get a convertor which should be atleast 500Watts. I tried a couple of convertors which werent 500W and they used to get hot in a couple of minutes and my xbox would shut down.

My xbox works very well now :).
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why still buy a transformer when you can have power supply that is auto voltage (110v~220V)? so you dont have to worry if you want to play with your unit on friends' house....

I frown on Xbox if they hadnt foreseen this problem....
  • Omegalove
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Omegalove
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much alamode if feel so much better now that my xbox isnt really broken! by the wat did u hav to buy an exactly the same volt as the one u hd before?
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk i didnt know at that time that there was some power supply that is auto voltage and i dont play at my friends house anyway.

And Omegalove i didnt buy a new Powersupply, just got the old one repaired. And yeah, if you are buying a new one just buy the same Power Supply as before and get a transformer with it and use the power supply with the transformer. I havent seen a xbox 360 power supply which is auto voltage but if there is, then you should get that.
  • sulay
  • Born
  • Born
  • sulay

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got a 110v power supply xbox 360 plugged into a 220v power supply .it is not working now. wat shall i do now??
please do reply soon.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you may have broken the thing ... does it have fuses on the inside? maybe they popped, but then, as I recall with most of those electronic pieces you're not allowed to open it up ...

Why did you do that in the first place??

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts