Unusual methods of explaination

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried an "off the wall" way to explain to someone over on kirupa how to use loadVars in flash to communicate with an asp page. Not only did I get an "awsome" response from the person asking the question, but I had more fun than usual explaining it as well :D
http://www.kirupaforum.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=57254

The purpose of this thread is to uncover experiences with "off the wall" tutorials and teachings, do you remember/have a zaney teacher that made/makes learning fun ?, have you ever read a book or tutorial on somthing that you'll never forget even when the subject is obsolete becouse someone related it to somthing that was allready hardwired into your brain ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

not that I can think of, but I did enjoy the story joe :D

Thanks
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, yeah.

When I was as Washington State University, my Geology professor made an interesting analogy. We were talking about core samples and the cooling technologies that have been developed for the deep drilling required to get to extreme depths. The problem is, the deeper you drill down, the hotter the drill bit gets (for a variety of reasons). And, in his words, as spoken to a class of about 350 students:

Quote:
Like other things in life, when it gets soft and squishy, you can't drill with it any more.

:)

Then there was my environmental ethics prof that got the class to go on a tree planting expedition... to his tree farm... Of course, it was an upper level class, and he bribed us all with beer once we got there and realize what he was doing. If you've never planted trees drunk... it's a hell of an experience.

Let see... when I was in high school, my botany teacher was showing the difference between liberty caps (which are very poisonous) and another mushroom that looks nearly identical but is psychotropic instead (the teacher was a mycologist by training). She had them on a peice of wax paper and passed them around for people to look at... a girl in the back of the class grabbed the shooms (not the poison ones) and ate em right there... her reply when Mrs Alder started to freak? "Oh, don't worry, it takes twice that for me to feel anything..." There was also the crop of pot she found someone growing in the school greenhouse... heh.

Then, when I was teaching my class at WSU, I'd set up the lab (it was a Mac lab) such that I could make the various computers say stuff (there's a builtin text-voice feature built into macs.. at least there was back then), when the small groups were in discussion, I'd listen in and have the Mac close to them ask various questions.. heh. Ok.. so actually, I only did that once... it would have lost it's novelty, I think.

Oh! And my absolute favorite! I did an excercise that was intended to show the importance of clear directions, and overall clarity in writting. The assignment? Partner up, and write instructions on making a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. Then... trade directions and follow them... TO THE LETTER.

in other words, if the person didn't mention a knife, you don't get a knife. If they didn't mention bread... you don't get bread... and so forth. It was pretty interesting, to be sure!

.c
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, nice story. I dont really have any stories that were "zany" so.......... Ill eave the "zanyness" up to your story. :lol:
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha I like the use of variable names joe! No good stories to tell but your post amused me :P

whos_wee_dug?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:
Then there was my environmental ethics prof that got the class to go on a tree planting expedition... to his tree farm... Of course, it was an upper level class, and he bribed us all with beer once we got there and realize what he was doing. If you've never planted trees drunk... it's a hell of an experience.

Sure is :lol: "Nooooooo, it ain't crooked. Even if it is it will grow towards the sun anyway."

Carnix wrote:
There was also the crop of pot she found someone growing in the school greenhouse... heh.

I bet the students took better care of that crop than they did most of the other plants. :lol:

Carnix wrote:
Then, when I was teaching my class at WSU, I'd set up the lab (it was a Mac lab) such that I could make the various computers say stuff (there's a builtin text-voice feature built into macs.. at least there was back then), when the small groups were in discussion, I'd listen in and have the Mac close to them ask various questions.. heh. Ok.. so actually, I only did that once... it would have lost it's novelty, I think.

I have a few friends i've gotten into using VNC recently so I could show them various things. Needless to say they flipped out when they forget to shut down VNC and I access it 20 mins later, open notepad, & pretend to be the computer.
Quote:
This is a test of the Network Uplink Malfunction Notice & Upload Transfer System.
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
beep
beep
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
beep....beep.....beep
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
processing results.....................................
test failed.
Please call (my phone number) for information on why you may have failed N.U.M.N.U.T.S.

I answer the phone, "please hold while we connect you to the first available Numnuts technition"

I always get the same response, "You S.O.B !!! I thought my computer was actually broken !! hahahahaha"
What can I say, it teaches them to shut down unused programs :wink: :lol:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice Joe, Nice.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago