Upload a file, goto prison

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

02:00 AM Jul. 17, 2003 PT

A new bill proposed in Congress on Wednesday would land a person in prison for five years and impose a fine of $250,000 for uploading a single file to a peer-to-peer network.

The bill was introduced by Reps. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) and Howard Berman (D-Calif.). They said the bill is designed to increase domestic and international enforcement of copyright laws.

"If you have a file stored on your computer and your computer is connected to a publicly available network, you may not even know that you are committing a felony, but this law could put you in jail," he said.

You can see the whole story here:

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,59654,00.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

And they are going to go catch every person sharing 1 file? I wanna see this, better yet I'll share a file just to see this....
ps. I read the article this time :-D
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol! Did you read what Senator Orrin Hatch proposed a while back? It's even more amusing: http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,59298,00.html
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sure you would be able to file a lawsuit if he did it remotely. Where did he get the information to blow up a computer remotly? lemme guess, hackers website, directly or indirectly.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
And they are going to go catch every person sharing 1 file? I wanna see this, better yet I'll share a file just to see this....
ps. I read the article this time :-D

Well I really doubt they would catch everyone, or even that many for the most part, but if a law like that did pass what it would do more than anything is just impose fear on people once they see many people start getting arrested. That might change the way people view peer to peer networks and might make it less tempting. That is my guess anyway.

I still think its dumb, they should find a better way to go about the problem because really pretty much about 90% of computer users should be going to jail then. What are they going to do? put our whole nation in jail? What they need to focus on is a way to make it hard for people to steal/share them in the first place. Might be a challenge, but I think its a much better approach.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

That reminds me that the mainstream media is just now talking about Kazaa. A few days ago Fox News Channel had a byline that read, "Another Napster? We'll show you a piracy program on the rise."
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sadly they are just trying to slay a hydra, chop off one head and another grows back.
  • WindLvr
  • WindLvr
  • Loc: East Coast

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure where I read this, but it was a while ago. I read that by the year 2020, at least half of the American population was going to be in jail! The other half would be working(more like slaves) for the jails and the gov't. The way they are trying to put people in prison for sharing kind of supports this old statistic! Kind of ridiculous if you ask me!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts