Upload Versus Email

• Peelwebs
  • Born
  • Born
  • Peelwebs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope I will be forgiven for asking this question, but I have a valid reason for asking it.

Our website will be dealing with potentially hundreds of individual users, all with user accounts on the site, each one with the ability to upload documents and images via their user areas, which will be associated with their accounts. There will probably only be around 10 uploaded files all in all.

It is likely all images that are uploaded will need to be downloaded by us, manipulated and re-upload to the users area.

If a user can upload more than one document/image at a time via their site area, which in your opinion would be easier for the end user?(bearing in mind most of them would not know how to use an FTP site):

1) Emailing us the documents/images so that we can manipulate them and upload them to the user account.

2) Upload them themselves to their own user area.

What would be the pros and cons of each?

Also, from our administrative point of view, what would be a better method?

A big thankyou to anyone who gives this some consideration and reply.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forget the email idea. That's going to be too slow for all involved, not to mention size limits on attachments. Let them use FTP to upload to their home directory. Post instructions on how to use FTP.

I'm so glad I learned FTP by hand. I've yet to use an FTP client.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing most users are probably going to be able to use is the option of having them upload things themselves in a web page accessible from their own user area. Millions of people use something like that on sites like Facebook every day.

Next is probably going to be the attachment via email method. The majority of people who use email are probably going to be smart enough to figure out how to add attachments.

If I had to pick only one of the two, I would go with the web page upload over the email method just out of ease of use for the user and how much easier it is to explain the web page method than it is the email attachment method.

If you think you'll have users that understand how to use FTP, and can provide that type of access without going out of your way. It probably wouldn't hurt to make it available.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If I had to pick only one of the two, I would go with the web page upload over the email method just out of ease of use for the user and how much easier it is to explain the web page method than it is the email attachment method.

I second this, and you could make it so that when they are updated they don't go directed to their own user area but instead go to a special area only accessible by you and the admins. Then you could make your changes and move them to the final destination.

Are you modifying the images by adding some sort of watermark or something? If I remember correctly, PHP (if you are using it) has the ability to add watermarks to images automatically which would simplify things for you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts