users added to MySql when installing joomla or template?

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure which added the users, but I installed joomla on a brand new website a few nights ago and then installed a template found (from another source other than the joomla site). It was the middle of the night, I was getting tired and when I set up the admin account, I used an email address that I had not created yet. Long story short: I couldn't remember the pw I had used and loggin into the dbase and resetting it to secret seemed the easiest thing to do at the time.

When I opened _jos_users, I found two other "members". One had Super User privileges ..

So just curious as to wth an why?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try searching on Google with the specific username and joomla(Username joomla). See if any results are returned relating to it. If not, try installing Joomla to a test directory and install the template again, see if you are able to repeat it. If it isn't repeated I would guess you have a little more significant issue.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should have done that before I deleted them. I figured since there was no content or other members to interfere with, I could always re install.

I don't remember the user names, but I do remember the Super User had "deprecate" in one of the fields.. and the other one had a gmail address.. my first thought was that the developer of the template had left them self a way back in.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was my first guess, but after doing a bit of research through Joomla Forums and through Google, I haven't been able to find any cases of themes adding users to the database. I would suggest taking a look at your servers access logs(if possible) and see if you are able to track down any IP's, other than your own, that has accessed the site, specifically the administration sections(as that is the only way to add a Super User other than directly in the DB). If there are no records of anything like that on the site, check the DB logs as well.

If no dice still, I would reset all passwords for the database and admin users and just keep an eye on it. I would also still recommend re-installing to another directory, in the same way you did for this install, and see if you are able to duplicate the extra users.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks poly, I'll do that and let you know what happens... because now it has my curiosity peaked. I think first I will install the joomla, check the dbase and then install the 3rd party template, then check again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts