Using Contracts for your services

• Neturge
  • Born
  • Born
  • Neturge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone else use contracts for their services?
I created a website for a client about 6 months ago who tried to sue me because he didn't like the design (even though it was just how he asked for it and I modified it 7 times for him) so now I use contracts with all my clients. I use the contract service at agreena.com and I have only had one client not happy with my work since, so I referred him to the contract and thata was the end of it :D
Don't get me wrong, I don't get many complaints :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a common situation these days. People ask you for something, then think they can tweak you for a few grand more worth of work than you had initially agreed upon.

I use contracts for everything, and clearly define the work to be accomplished within them. You should be sure that your contracts include a section for this.

Also, if the work is internet based, don't let it leave your server until you've got at least some sort of down-payment in your hands (not on the way).

I think if you're contracting work without a contract (well, I guess that wouldn't really be contracting, would it) you're just asking to be taken advantage of.

There's my 2¢

This
  • Inito
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have earned €600 and i did not use any contract once. Happy clients :)
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I trsuted someone once. Was for a Invoice management system. Did all the development and got told that there was no money to pay for it.

So now before I start any development (once the plan and application flow have been approved) I usually ask for a 50% payment (non-refundable) and I don't release any source until it is signed off and paid for.

The problem you experience is common place now a days. People seem to think that anyone can build sites and if their baby sister or brother can do it why should they pay anything.

So good idea on the aggreements, it is the best way to go. It protects you and your clients. :wink:
  • datums
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • datums

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first, I did not use any contracts. I learned quickly, now I use contracts and a design schedule. It protects you both.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

About.com has some good sample contracts people can edit and use for themselves/company etc. I have the links at home I think I will dig them up as its something useful.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

contracts are meant to protect both parties. so, with contracts, it is definitely a plus to have one.

I dont use contracts usually unless the jobs are big ones. maybe about 1 month work on it?

else, other work less than a month - no contracts.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
About.com has some good sample contracts people can edit and use for themselves/company etc. I have the links at home I think I will dig them up as its something useful.

http://graphicdesign.about.com/library/ ... tract1.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts