Verizon, Google team up to bring Android to customers

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

This morning Verizon announced that they will be teaming with Google to bring Android-based mobile phones to their network in the coming weeks. What remains to be seen is whether the preloaded "innovative applications" from Google, Verizon, and undisclosed third-parties will ruin or enhance the experience. Kudos to Verizon for taking the next step in staying competitive, but IMO, if they really want to compete, they need to embrace the nature of the beast and stop force-feeding users specific setups and limitations. Thoughts?

Source: CNN
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has anybody here actually used an Android phone? I'd be interested in trying it out.... if the price is right.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use verizon for my phone and inet (FIOS), and I have this to say about them:

1) the phone works.
2) the inet is incredibly fast, 10mb/sec+, and very consistant.

So I think what they are good with is physical infrastructure. I think they are stupid to get into web-dev, tho, because they are obviously very bad at that, and also have a very narrow conception of what a "web user" is. For example, my account is unlimited and cost like $70 (bundled with phone, which would be half that) a month. Do you know what the email account is? WEB BASED ONLY. There is no smtp server; I pay someone else an extra $10 a month just to have a normal email account.

Go to a verizon website, any verizon web site you can find, look around, and tell me they do not have the whole concept of "functionality" backward. Also keep in mind that very often, the "features" for actual account holders just plain do not work. For an entire year, because I cancelled paper-billing, I had to guess what my bill was because the on-line billing did not work, which they acknowledged.* I have used the mail web client a bit, and can't say much for it either -- eg, I'd be happy to learn they were making a deal with google to use their web mail interface instead.

Also, verizon "customer service" is a Kafka-esque nightmare. Just when you think it is as dysfunctional as possible, a new level of dysfunction exposes itself.

I think they should stick to infrastructure, and stay away from end-user services. I suspect the nature of the management in these two companies is VERY different.

* the best part was when you finally get a verizon rep on the phone (nearly impossible) they tell you they cannot restore paper-billing! You have to phone long distance some subcontractor in a different time zone!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Verizon is the only cell provider up here, and even still because of the mountains coverage is limited to around civilization. I use to have alltel but they were a pain in the tuckus and didn't have a very good mobile internet plan at the time. I'd be willing to shell out the cash if that meant having internet at home and a decent calling plan, then I could ditch the landline.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Has anybody here actually used an Android phone?

Yes, I've played with two different models that coworkers have. The lack of a physical keyboard is a bit annoying, but the OS itself and functionality were nice. I'll consider buying one, depending on what Verizon decides to release and how they limit them.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody here actually used an Android phone?

Yes, I've played with two different models that coworkers have. The lack of a physical keyboard is a bit annoying, but the OS itself and functionality were nice. I'll consider buying one, depending on what Verizon decides to release and how they limit them.

i am the manager of our Business account with Verizon. I may be able to snag one for FREE to "test" it out....
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate getting stuck in contracts with this kind of thing, so I'm gonna check and see if they have some sort of monthly plan where I can still get 3G for a half decent price.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i am the manager of our Business account with Verizon. I may be able to snag one for FREE to "test" it out....

Just be sure to claim as much, we wouldn't want the FTC spanking you over it's new requirements! :lol:
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've "tested" mutilple phones from Verizon, most of them were crap and i told them that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts