Verizon to have iPhone's in Feb, 2011

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

On January 11, 2011, at 11:11am (1/11/11 11:11am), Verizon released a statement that they are going to now be able to offer the iPhone with their service starting on Feb 10, 2011, but pre-orders will start as early as Feb 3, 2011. The timing is interesting however, as AT&T may still have a big upper hand compared to Verizon with regards to selling the iPhone:

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) - Verizon Wireless would seem to be a big winner after its expected announcement Tuesday that it will start selling the iPhone and break Apple Inc.'s monogamous relationship with AT&T Inc. in the U.S.

But for several reasons, the iPhone's arrival to Verizon would be poorly timed, and Verizon's gains won't be as clear-cut as one might believe.

Quote:
But indications are that the first Verizon iPhone would only work on the older, "3G" network. That network has wide coverage, excellent reliability and less congestion than AT&T's, but data speeds are much lower. You also can't talk and surf at the same time with Verizon 3G phones. These factors give AT&T openings for their marketing.

So while this could be good for customers with Verizon to finally be able to use the iPhone, the fact that it will continue to use the 3G network may make it hard for any new customers to choose Verizon over ATT if they are set on the iPhone and want the fastest speeds.

Interestingly though Verizon does get one advantage over AT&T:

Quote:
Verizon's iPhone 4 is identical in form and function to AT&T's but has one feature AT&T's does not: It can act as a portable Wi-Fi "hot spot," connecting up to five laptops or other devices to Verizon's 3G network through Wi-Fi. It's a feature that's been offered on other smart phones, usually for an added monthly fee.

So that is with an added fee though, which I never like.

Currently I am with AT&T with a first generation iPhone, but will be getting the latest iPhone when they plan to come out with a new model this summer.

Source of the quotes:

http://www.komonews.com/news/tech/113233744.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

FINALLY! I might just have to get myself a cell phone before long. My wife has been drooling over the iphone ever since they came out but we never lived where AT&T had service. And I've been drooling over droids but am too cheap to get one. I might have to crack open the wallet and get each of us some cell phones now, especially since my wife is getting more and more pregnant every day it might be a good idea if each of us had a direct way to contact each other. I'm thinking out loud.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

So wait a second here, what happens to everyone connected to the "hotspot" if the iPhone gets a phone call, do they just get their connection cut off ?
  • samuelsun
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • samuelsun
  • Loc: Elka Park, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

However its hard to say that Verizon can beat AT&T, if we compare they both have the same features with the cell phone, but great difference data plan and prices.

So for the data plan, for example:

iPhone 4 on AT&T
200MB at $15

iPhone 4 on Verizon
150MB at $15
Moderator Remark: Rewrote post to make sense
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Verizon also has an unlimited web\data plan for $40 too which I think is a pretty fair price, personally. I think if I had a smart phone I would blow through my monthly 150MB and have to pay the overage, so its worth it to pay for the unlimited plan.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I'd blow through 200mb pretty quick, but based on the last two years usage (2x iphones grandfathered into ATT's original unlimited iPhone data plan)the numbers don't really add up. It looks like the average for data usage is close to 90MB per month with a max of 138MB in one month. Now granted I don't really watch videos on my phone, stream Pandora, etc but I feel like both my wife and I are pretty heavy Twitter/Facebook/Google Maps/Web browser users.

I think the reason behind this is that the iPhone and I assume most Android phones prefer WIFI over the cellular data connection. This may be different for others, but I find that most places I go (Office, Home, coffee shops, etc) already have WIFI so the phone uses that for data whenever available. So its really just the "in between" locations were I end up using any cellular data at all.

I'm not sure I want to move to a tiered data plan more on the principle of the thing than any real worry about overages.
  • samuelsun
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • samuelsun

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its hard to believe, if they are offering such plan in its beginning.
its something to lure AT&T customers away.

“It wasn’t clear how long Verizon would offer unlimited plans,” the report said. “Its executives have said repeatedly that the industry needs to move to some form of tiered pricing as data use rises, but for the moment the carrier is sticking with its current data plans.”

According to Zdnet
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

samuelsun wrote:
Its hard to believe, if they are offering such plan in its beginning.
its something to lure AT&T customers away.

“It wasn’t clear how long Verizon would offer unlimited plans,” the report said. “Its executives have said repeatedly that the industry needs to move to some form of tiered pricing as data use rises, but for the moment the carrier is sticking with its current data plans.”

According to Zdnet

I think it's a failed attempt... not only is it for a limited time, but AT&T downloading times are faster.

Also, being part of the family which used to be costumers of Verizon, I can tell you that their customer support is terrible. Not only is it bad, but they could be a little insulting at times. That is why we switched to AT&T.
  • samuelsun
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • samuelsun

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could any one tell why Verizon criticize to AT&T in its commercials?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because they can.
  • karina016
  • Born
  • Born
  • karina016

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might have to crack open the wallet and get each of us some cell phones now, especially since my wife is getting more and more pregnant every day it might be a good idea if each of us had a direct way to

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts