Virgin media cable modem ready light is flashing

• genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all

was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem ? But my cable modem ready light is just flashing and the sync light is on ( which means that there is something to talk to ?)

This means that I cannot get online at home :( was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem ? Or if there was another cable modem that I could buy and setup with cable company (virgin) for it to work k ? The modem has broken down a couple times before so would like to get a "real" one as such

cheers
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had a similar issue with my modem. Usually unplugging from wall or unplugging power wire from modem then plugging back in does the trick for me.

Could be an issue with Virgin themselves. You are paying for their service, so if there are any issues relating to the service then you should contact them also if my suggestion doesn't work.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here in the states, Time Warner will swap all their devices out for no money, and often have to. Modems and cable boxes(and remotes) are constantly breaking. Last time I was down at the local TW store, more people were there swapping devices than paying their bill.

No idea how it works in the UK with Virgin.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers for replies :)

I have unplugged the modem a few times already, probably about 10 times I would say :(

I am hoping that the engineer coming on monday will bring another modem with him, I have never popped into a virgin media shop before so I may give that a go to see if they will do a exchange of modems :) to see if it is that.

I have contacted virgin media 3 times with 3 different answers !!
1 it will be fixed by 2:37 not sure why he said at 36 minutes pasted !!
2 there are engineers out fixing a massive fault ummm k
3 there has not been any fault and just try to disconnect your modem every two hours and I will send out a engineer on monday

lol

you really have to laugh or the other way is to cry !!!!

I am going to see if I change the wire from the scoket to the modem if that does it
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope that did not work :( the wires appear to be k thou :) so just the modem at fault I think.

Wish it was like in America where you can just take your old modem and change it for a new one instead of waiting for a engineer to bring me one.!!

Cheers for the help
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow they send a tech out for you before they ask you to bring the modem in to one of their stores ?

Where I'm at they want me to take time out of my day to bring them my modem for a swap out (like dM mentioned) before they'll send someone out to check the wires.

I actually went outside and fixed the problem myself last time I had a problem after making a trip to the office for a swap out because they kept dicking me around and wanted me to wait until after the weekend. They got someone out here pretty quick after I told them I went outside to the box and fixed it myself though. lol
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if I said that to virgin if the engineer guy would come quicker !!! About fixing the problem myself.

Sounds like the American cable company trust you to be able to replace the cable modem yourself, wish virgin did !!! Would not be using my mobile for the internet lol iPhone is nice but the screen is kinder small for real surfing lol
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not that they trust us to do it, it's more that they hope we can figure it out so they don't have to spend the money to send out a tech.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

got a text from virgin saying that the line should be fixed now.. and it is working :). but there was 2 faults on the line, they have fixed one of the main faults and going to fix the other soon. This was why my SNR was bad :(.

So it was not the cable modem in the end :).. but at least I am back online, only about 5MB/s though.. before hand was about 20MB/s
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Genux, you are lucky you are getting 5mb/s. The phone line to my flat is so poor that i struggle to get 4mb/s. I looked into getting the fibre optic broadband which would provide up to 50mb/s as i noticed that some properties accross the street had it. Unfortunately it is not available in my building yet.

I'd move to Virgin in a second if they could provide a better speed than i am getting right now. At the moment they can't and their package costs don't even bear thinking about when you consider the speed i am getting now.
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, yeah.. it is not a bad speed really.

Just done a speed test and
19166 kbps (2.4MB/s) down 685 kbps (85.6kB/s) up

The cable engineer guy did come today and there was another problem at the local exchange and also the wires from the house box to the cable modem needed to be replaced, but he said that I should be able to get 50mb/s if I ordered it.

Hope that you get the fibre's laid soon to your building.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts