Volcano

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a nightmare this volcano erupting in Iceland is. Every airport in the UK and parts of northern Europe have been closed until the soonest lunchtime tomorrow.

Just got the news on the TV and apparently there is ash falling in parts of northern Scotland. It would be pretty cool seeing it fall over Edinburgh which could be a reality soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8623806.stm
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I have heard about this, sounds like a mess over there. The winds are just blowing in the wrong direction right now, I think I heard that normally this wouldn't have probably caused as many problems as it did, but the winds blew the ash cloud straight towards all the countries in Europe.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has been kinda funny as well. There is a guy i know who has been talking about his holiday to Benidorm for months now and his flight is scheduled for tomorrow. It wasn't until earlier on today that they announced that they would be opening some of the airports up, so he got a bit excited.

I kinda feel for those who had flights cancelled though. It must have been a nightmare to hear of this natural disaster 700 miles away was affecting flights all over northern Europe.

The last time this volcano erupted though was about 150 years ago so nobody really knew what to expect from this. The last time it erupted it lasted 2 years, so if it does the same again then there is a chance this cloud could hover over Europe again at some point over the next 2 years.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

Not everyone is so happy about this travel chaos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmkFNJA1-o

:lol:
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I too read on Wikipedia that the last eruption lasted 2 years. That's a long time.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to admit, i never thought i'd see the day when a volcano would cause this amount of disruption in Europe.

Whilst there has not been alot of ash falling over parts of the UK, there are some areas getting little bits here and there. I am certain a car i drove past this morning (i pass it every morning) was covered in a very fine layer of it. Either that or it became very dirty overnight just by sitting at the side of the road that it is on.

Flights are still not really taking off here and most major airports in the UK remain closed, that's been like 2-3 days now. Very bizarre. The friend i was talking about who was getting excited with the fact his flight was aparently going to be going ahead became quite irritated and disappointed this morning when he was told the airline he was flying with was cancelling all flights until monday at the earliest...so he is not in Spain soaking up the sun right now.

There was a light aircraft crash earlier on today killing 2, because it was privately owned and there was no law restricting them to take off they obviously took the risk. No confirmation if the volcanic dust was the cause, but obviously with everything that's happening people believe it is the cause.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can beat that two years camperjohn,

I heard today one eruption lasted 20 years..oh my gosh!

One guy was to be at his son's birth but stuck in limbo and missed it...aweful the stories we are getting.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

A guy I know is currently stuck in Spain with his wife. He lives in Chicago, no idea when he will get to leave.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

My lecturer's flight was cancelled and he complained how he got excited about flying to UK and turned out Cancel on his way in the airport's queue. It was postponed anyway because he bought the ticket.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

They're saying now that the smoke and ash plume is starting to head west over the Atlantic and could reach North America. The phrase "Don't *peach* with mother nature" comes to mind.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard a story of a couple on their way to getting married were stuck in the airport. So they got married at the airport.
  • kinzie
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has started errupting ash again, right?
  • webmaster[+-]
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I'm still waiting for my airmail delivery ..it should be delivered already one week ago :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts