Wait for it. Wait for it. Wait for it.

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm starting a national movement to ban all things Christmas until after Thanksgiving. Christmas will start the day AFTER Thanksgiving. NOT on Thanksgiving, but the day AFTER.

- There will be no Christmas music in the grocery store until after Thanksgiving!
- No yard or window displays until after Thanksgiving!
- No Christmas sales/specials until after Thanksgiving!
- We will demand that people stop watering down and killing the holiday!

Power to the patient people!!!
Who's with me?!?
</vent>
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm about the only Christian who hates Christmas and even the day after Thanksgiving is too early to start it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the fault of commerce. If you get everyones' money early, you win and can afford to buy presents when christmas actually does roll around.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ordinarily, I'd be with you all the way, but the temperature here hasn't gotten out of the thirties in about a week, and it's not getting out of the twenties today, so it actually feels like December already. It's gonna be awful cold up in the attic when I bring those decorations down (after Thanksgiving of course).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

RichB wrote:
Ordinarily, I'd be with you all the way, but the temperature here hasn't gotten out of the thirties in about a week, and it's not getting out of the twenties today, so it actually feels like December already. It's gonna be awful cold up in the attic when I bring those decorations down (after Thanksgiving of course).

Ordinarily you are too busy for OZZU. Hello RichB. definitely been awhile. Right there with you on the temps.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Ordinarily you are too busy for OZZU. Hello RichB. definitely been awhile. Right there with you on the temps.

Hi ATNO,

I had some health issues and haven't done anything IT-related in awhile, but I'm feeling better now and trying to get back in the game.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, does this mean you have at the moment NOT got any televised adverts advertising christmas sales yet or you do and you just wish they wouldn't dM?

I ask because we've been getting adverts for crimbo sales since about mid-late september (this is no joke nor an underexageration).

Personally speaking, i would prefer nobody talks about or plays christmas music until at the very earliest December 24th.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Christmas has officially been moved to July, the exact date is to be determined.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's what I would like, all holidays moved to the summer.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
So, does this mean you have at the moment NOT got any televised adverts advertising christmas sales yet or you do and you just wish they wouldn't dM?

I wish they wouldn't. The home-improvement store I go to, Lowes, had their Christmas section up since Halloween. My grocery store, Publix, has started playing music. I've seen a couple of TV adverts, already. My wife has already setup her Christmas village(miniatures).

All I'm saying is that Christmas shouldn't last for 2 months. 1 month is bad enough. It's like eating sherbet/sorbet; Prolonged exposure makes your sense of taste impervious to the flavor and, therefore, a less enjoyable experience.

I would agree this is driven by commerce, but at the same time it seems to be encouraged by others, as well.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Christmas has officially been moved to July, the exact date is to be determined.

Two years ago I left my Christmas tree up until July. I missed the memo that Christmas in July hadn't officially been approved yet.

RichB - glad to hear you're doing better and definitely nice to see you again!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

All the hype about Christmas drives me nuts. Think it has something to do with 17 years in retail management. I don't even want to see a store during Christmas season anymore. I'm lucky I get any Christmas shopping done, and typically pick a few hours one day during a weekday when it's not so busy and get everything done in one shot.

I don't mind decorating before Thanksgiving but not too much before. Normally I wait until after, but I have this entire week off, so I'll be getting it all done during this week, simply because I have the time and it's convenient.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't do any Christmas shopping. If I buy any gifts at all, it's 25 dollars worth of scratch off lottery tickets. It's the same gift for birthdays.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
That's what I would like, all holidays moved to the summer.

Here in SA, Christmas is in the summer ...

And then, I actually had to go google thanksgiving, because we don't have that here. hehe.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

No Thanksgiving and Christmas in the summer sounds like heaven to me.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
No Thanksgiving and Christmas in the summer sounds like heaven to me.

Just thinking how that would change the whole dinner menu from comfort foods, to fun outdoor BBQ style cuisine. Yummy
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can BBQ all year round here in Florida. :D
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys need to go to Australia for Christmas some year. I spent last christmas in Melbourne and it was like 35C during the day. Had a nice BBQ and then headed out to the river to canoe.

Very strange christmas, but very fun to spend it in the outdoors while it is hot and sunny.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
You guys need to go to Australia for Christmas some year. I spent last christmas in Melbourne and it was like 35C during the day. Had a nice BBQ and then headed out to the river to canoe.

Very strange christmas, but very fun to spend it in the outdoors while it is hot and sunny.

That would be cool for a different experience.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have that experience every year, for me it would be cool to see snow (never seen snow) at Christmas ...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do often forget that South Africa is in the southern Hemisphere. don't know why like.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't the word "South" add to the impression that it is south ... ?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Logic doesn't apply to me.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which of these southern hemispheric land masses is least like the others ?

1. South Africa
  2. South America
  3. Australia
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

c.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know what you're talking about SB, logic seems to apply to you just fine. :scratchhead:
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Serbia still holds off until December before the x-mas madness begins in earnest, but when I was in Japan I was appalled to find it started around September......... I understand the need to maximize profit, but that's just inhuman. By the time x-mas does actually roll around, you feel that if you hear another jangly version of jingle bells you could just pick up a gun and start shooting randomly at things that might be loudspeakers.

I agree with the gist of this thread - stretching a holiday out too long waters it down. it would be like me saying 'well my birthday is in October, but the preparations for the festivities will start in early August - and continue throughout up to the day itself.' Now doesn't that sound just silly? :D

as far as warm christmas is concerned, in Bangladesh I had a few christmases spent in swimming pools, or running around in shorts decorating the giant pines growing in the embassy garden, and taking breaks to drink glasses of ice-cold lemonade.... Serbia usually gets snow on christmas or thereabouts - heck it snowed last night, for the first time this year...... oh I wish it wouldn't... snow is nice on the mountains (must go skiing this year!!!) but in the cities it just makes things nasty and slippery and you're freezing all the time. well me at least - I'm a lizard when it comes to temperature control - always at room temperature. so I must be kept warm at all times......
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The worst has happened. A Walmart worker was killed when the shoppers stampeded through the door at the crack of dawn.

Watch a video of the report.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081128/ap_ ... mart_death

All the white people go crazy and they call it Black Friday.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts