wanna help a girl out? :)

• celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys... long time no see, again!!!

umm anyways.... I know this is lame but I've submitted this tee design to Threadless... and if they like it they'll print it and sell it and stuff.... and that would be mega cool.... so I was just wondering, if anyone feels like voting for it? You gotta register, it's a little bit of a pain but if you don't mind I'd be ever so grateful.

If you wanna, go here: http://www.threadless.com/submission/23 ... ne_to_Push

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of octopus, check out this 19' squid that was found in the gulf of Mexico
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090921/sc_ ... giantsquid

That's a really nice design celandine. Nice to see you around again. You should really hang out with us cool folk here more. We miss ya.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gave it a 4. :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

aww, c'mon joebert it'd look great on you! If I had PS handy, I'd prove it. :lol:
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

heheheeheh thanks guys :D

I'm definitely planning to come back and hang with you cool people - my php course is progressing wonderfully, and I'm gonna need so much help it's not even funny!!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

jesus that squid!!!! can you imagine seeing that thing in the water?!?!?!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can, I can ride my bike to the Gulf of Mexico. Needless to say with all the sharks and now giant squid I don't think I'll be doing much swimming anymore. :D
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd love to see a shark in the wild. My biggest dream ever is to go diving with manta rays..... but squid and octopi are just my favorite things for some reason, although divers that tried diving deep with humboldt squids didn't have too great a time of it. any one of those things can pull the mask off your face in a heartbeat.

also they have three hearts. how cool is that?!?! :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'd love to see a shark in the wild. My biggest dream ever is to go diving with manta rays

I'd recommend both. :) I'm no adventurer, just open water certified. I've happened on a couple of sharks, one being a 6ft. nurse and then schools of rays twice. Cool stuff.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Quote:
I'd love to see a shark in the wild. My biggest dream ever is to go diving with manta rays

I'd recommend both. :) I'm no adventurer, just open water certified. I've happened on a couple of sharks, one being a 6ft. nurse and then schools of rays twice. Cool stuff.

lucky man :D I saw rays in the water, but only teeny wickle ones. And no sharks of any size :hmm:

someday!!!

I actually wanted to study marine biology, but I was cursed by being born in a country with no sea, so the endeavor would have been a costly one. *le sigh*
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I actually wanted to study marine biology

Me too pre-geek days. Didn't want to leave my family and I was rather land-locked myself in TN, US.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Quote:
I actually wanted to study marine biology

Me too pre-geek days. Didn't want to leave my family and I was rather land-locked myself in TN, US.

hahahah funny where one finds similarities with people :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Quote:

And swimming with sea turtles is cool too. We did that in Hanauma Bay on Oahu in 1998. The secret to it is to get there bright and early in the morning...there's less tourists which means less crowds and all the good aquatic wildlife hasn't been scared away for the day yet.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And swimming with sea turtles is cool too. We did that in Hanauma Bay on Oahu in 1998. The secret to it is to get there bright and early in the morning...there's less tourists which means less crowds and all the good aquatic wildlife hasn't been scared away for the day yet.

That one I've yet to do. I've had a few chances to photograph them on the shores, but all were protected areas so I couldn't get in. I would love that experience. I have gotten to swim with manatees, though. Thus far the only 'encounter' I've intentionally scheduled and paid for. They're like big pets - LOVE fin and belly scratches.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow.

Here in Florida the sea turtle nests are common enough that the wildlife people just put a small red tape perimeter around the nests (maybe 10x10 feet) and everyone just inherently knows to stay away from them while on the beach.

It's kinda cool to be out on a small boat fishing where you can't see land and all of a sudden you look beside you and there's a freaking turtle that's about a quarter the size of your boat swimming next to you. That whole not seeing land thing kinda messes with your head when you catch a shark though. ;)
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know scuba diving is DEAD EASY if you can swim. I've done it a few times in places where they don't have certification rules (or they don't obey them?). It cost like $50, you spend half an hour in shallow water by the beach, and then they take you out to a reef, the deepest you can go is maybe 35'. The whole rig is incredibly simple. Nothing to think about at all.

VERY LOUD tho. Like the rebreather part. After watching all these Jacques Cousteau things with the nice classical soundtrack, the INCREDIBLE CONSTANT NOISE of actual scuba is a bit of a stunner.

I've seen some big mantas snorkeling but never a shark.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you have BCD, regulator, individual rebreather, etc. or was this one of those snuba rigs?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
You know scuba diving is DEAD EASY if you can swim.....I've seen some big mantas snorkeling but never a shark.

That same Hawaii vacation we did a submarine ride to a man made reef, and out of nowhere this 5 or 6 foot long shark swims right by our window a mere inches away from our noses. That was cool!

I've been thinking about getting scuba certified, but its getting towards winter so the time isn't quite right. I want to do it though because the search & rescue and EMT services and stuff up here are entirely volunteer and I'd like to be on the dive team. I'm already kind of getting settled in as the radio communications net control guy though, so I might have to stick with that instead since that is where they need me most.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm definitely getting certified as soon as real life allows it, and I want sailing lessons too - have for years now.

Sometimes I seriously wonder whether it just wouldn't be better all around to run away from regular life and devote all one's time to pursuits such as travel, sailing, diving, glass-blowing, archery, tennis and sex. Not necessarily in that order.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Wow.

Here in Florida the sea turtle nests are common enough that the wildlife people just put a small red tape perimeter around the nests (maybe 10x10 feet) and everyone just inherently knows to stay away from them while on the beach.

It's kinda cool to be out on a small boat fishing where you can't see land and all of a sudden you look beside you and there's a freaking turtle that's about a quarter the size of your boat swimming next to you. That whole not seeing land thing kinda messes with your head when you catch a shark though. ;)

hahahahah one thing I wouldn't be doin' with sharks is catchin' 'em, that's for sure :D
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Did you have BCD, regulator, individual rebreather, etc. or was this one of those snuba rigs?

No, individual tanks and rebreathers. As far as I can remember, all you have to do is put it in your mouth and keep it there. A few people did feel too nervous in the shallows and decided not to go, but it was a pretty mixed bunch, vis, age, apparent fitness, sex.

Pretty sure the organizers (this was somewhere in the Caribbean, I used to sail there) claimed they had never had any problems. Based on that, I kind of think the certification thing here is a borderline scam -- sure, for certain things you should take a course. But to just dive in 30-40' of calm water during the day, come on. Sign a waiver. All you have to know is how to breathe and swim at the same time :roll: You don't need to get certified to ride a bike, and I am positive that is considerably harder to learn and much more dangerous.

ps. nice shirt Celandine, makes me think of a certain Beatle's song.
  • TeamEFX
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Speaking of octopus, check out this 19' squid that was found in the gulf of Mexico
http://news.yahoo(dot)com/s/nm/20090921/sc_nm/us_usa_giantsquid

That's a really nice design celandine. Nice to see you around again. You should really hang out with us cool folk here more. We miss ya.

haha, that is awesome. big squidster.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
All you have to know is how to breathe and swim at the same time

Ehh, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, but I can't agree with you there. It's a potentially life-threatening situation, no matter the depth. There are things you should know and practices you should be familiar with to make it safe. Just too many instinctual reactions that can get you into trouble - you have to know and learn to override those.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

thanks! which one, which one?
Quote:
Ehh, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, but I can't agree with you there. It's a potentially life-threatening situation, no matter the depth. There are things you should know and practices you should be familiar with to make it safe. Just too many instinctual reactions that can get you into trouble - you have to know and learn to override those.

hahhaha I think I'd agree here. I'm sure it's easy as long as everything is going right, but if something goes wrong suddenly you need to know what to do - primarily how to avoid panic - and if you don't, you're in a lot of trouble, even in pretty shallow water. Technically you can drown in a puddle, in the right circumstances.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
primarily how to avoid panic

Right there. Panic makes people do odd things - throw a mask off, spit out a regulator, burn through a tank.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I do swim, I don't like to go out of snorkel range. I don't think I could deal with having air tanks on my back and having to deal with depth sickness or whatever it's called.

I might try one of those tubes you use to go lobster fishing though. That would be like snorkeling to me, just with a really long snorkel.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
Quote:

thanks! which one, which one?

Well, Octopus's Garden, I think Ringo sings.

UPSGuy wrote:

We did receive a bunch of instructions of this sort during our 30-60 minutes in shallow water. Evidently they were easy enough for everyone to remember. "Bungy Jumping" no doubt has caveats, but that does not mean you need to go to night school first.

I'm pretty sure that is common in a lot of "vacation spots"; either regulation does not apply or is not enforced. I've done this twice, once I believe in the British (or US) V.I and once in the Grenadines. Of course, you are actually 30 feet under water, and you want to know how to jettison everything so you can surface easily if necessary. Beyond that, altho I would have assumed otherwise, it is not that dangerous if you are comfortable swimming and snorkelling. It's not like you could push the wrong button and get fed cyanide or something. :lol: It is very simple. But wow is it LOUD!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to what our laws would consider it, you can drive a car without a license, hunt without a permit, drink underage, engage in prostitution, do a lot of hard drugs, murder, rape, etc. in several parts of the world. That doesn't make any of them any less harmful/senseless.

Even without the safety factor, you're missing out on the action below. I can remember thinking how awesome the scenery and life changed with every 20 ft. or so on my first 100 ft. dive to explore a cavelet and a few wreck sites. You might as well be snorkeling. ;)
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Even without the safety factor, you're missing out on the action below. I can remember thinking how awesome the scenery and life changed with every 20 ft. or so on my first 100 ft. dive to explore a cavelet and a few wreck sites. You might as well be snorkeling. ;)

Oh DEFINATELY I would not have gone more than 50' down. No way. And that was impossible, because it wasn't that deep. We had a wrist gage -- maybe that is my imagination, it is at least a decade ago? -- but pretty sure I can remember going into a trench between two coral walls and noticing it was almost 40'. Pretty sure...totally great anyway, I'd love to go again.

But you can surface from that depth in 10-15 seconds easily with flippers.

The other thing celandine's shirt reminds me of is "tickle me elmo" :twisted:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You start seriously risking the bends at 33 feet where the pressure has effectively doubled on you. That's the type of thing that you pick up and keep in the back of your mind. At 40 ft. do you jettison and deal with a compression chamber or the bends, or do you take the 2 mins. required to get you back to the proper depth and go for it? I like playing those types of questions as educated as possible.

P.S. - If you ever get a chance, regardless of depth, do a night dive with a GOOD light. Amazing what you'll see!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 32 posts