Want to know where your US Tax Dollar is being spent?

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The US government just launched a "newly revamped" website, that tells you. Honestly I was appalled at how much has been spent year to date in my home state of Pennsylvania on Welfare -- $11,168,181,944. Wonder if the entire state is on welfare except me.

http://usaspending.gov/

From the Washington Post

Quote:
Vivek Kundra, the federal chief information officer, on Tuesday announced a new Web site designed to track more than $70 billion in government information technology spending, showing all contracts held by major firms within every agency.

The revamped site, USAspending.gov, was launched early this morning, and Kundra unveiled it at the Personal Democracy Forum conference on technology and politics. The site shows detailed information about whether IT contracts are being monitored and budgets being met.

Quote:
The site is the latest effort by Kundra and the Office of Management and Budget to make data about the government's projects and performance visible to the public. Citizens and Web developers can parse the data, combine it with other data sets and publish the results on Web feeds or their Facebook profiles. The data also show which contracts were won through a competitive process or in a no-bid method, which has been criticized by good-government advocates for excluding firms from business opportunities. Each prime contractor is listed as well as the status of that project; sub-contractors are not yet shown on the site.

The IT Dashboard
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a visually appealing web site, thats for sure.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like it's going to be completely useless past the initial wow-factor for the majority of the population.

It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Wow, Lockheed Martin gets ahold of more tax dollars through contracts than any other company in America. They've mentioned that on the news just about every time something about the military comes up.

But hey, it looks really cool.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the department of defense is more than all others combined. Aparently it's more important to defend what is outside our borders than what is inside our borders like schools or education or energy or investment or...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts