Water Damaged Laptop

• Dot-cotton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dot-cotton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today I (stupidly) decided to watch tv on my laptop when I was in the bath. I put my laptop (an Asus netbook) up on a ledge above my bath, suddenly my shower went mad and started spraying my bathroom. The laptop got pretty covered but it being a shower it wasn't a great amount of water and it wasn't concentrated. The laptop cut out immediately, however the blue power button was still lit lightly at least for a while. When I got the laptop down and dried it off I realised that no water came out of it, similarly when I unscrewed and opened it there was still only a very small amount of water inside it, I have left it out to dry, will it work again? Worryingly it was my brother's and I have no money to have it repaired and when he comes home in four weeks he will literally kill me. Please help if you have had a similar experience and managed to get yours working.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get a big cardboard box & about 10 pounds of rice. Don't cook the rice. Fill the box half with the rice, open the laptop, lay it face down on the rice & cover it with the rest of the rice.

If you are lucky, the rice will absorb the water out of the laptop.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any updates? What did you do and does the computer work? : O
  • HIG-Jerry
  • HIG-Jerry
  • Loc: Hosting It Green

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt it worked again. If it shut off chances are it shorted out and is fried. Reminds me of when people drop their phone in water or the toilet, first thing they do is try to turn it on. In reality the first thing you should do is pull the battery. Then let it dry out, give it time. When it appears dry (possibly days later). Put the battery back in and give it a go. I've dropped my phone in water a few times and by pulling the battery first thing I've been lucky to not had to replace one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts