Water Found on our Moon (Luna)

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember that experiment a little while back where they ran something into the moon at high velocity (known as the LCROSS impact)? Well that experiment turned out to be a huge success and we have found a significant amount of water on the moon! One of the reasons we were headed to Mars was because of the water we believe is there which might indicate life has the potential to be there.

Now with water being on our own moon, I wouldn't be suprised if a mission gets planned to go there much quicker. The moon would be a much easier task than Mars, its right in our own back yard.

Exciting news!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/11/1 ... index.html

Quote:
NASA said Friday it had discovered water on the moon, opening "a new chapter" that could allow for the development of a lunar space station.

The discovery is based on preliminary data collected when the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, intentionally crashed October 9 into the permanently shadowed region of Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

Also for much more detail see this:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LCROS ... sults.html

Quote:
The argument that the moon is a dry, desolate place no longer holds water.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love it when a plan comes together! This is awesome news. I can't believe I might actually get to see a lunar base in my lifetime - or at least the beginnings of one.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is so cool.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can already see the new Aquafina commercials now.

Quote:
Moonaqua, it makes all those other brands seem like purified tap water
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know they say actually US has found "more" than what have been said on News. It is secret not to reveal all. It's quite common sense and most countries understand.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if the moon was made of gold ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google is all over this

:lol:
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Google is all over this
:lol:

Huh. That's what you miss using skins!

I heard they also found trace quantities of CLR on the moon, which explains why it still virtually free of corrosion after all these years. :?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Now with water being on our own moon, I wouldn't be suprised if a mission gets planned to go there much quicker. The moon would be a much easier task than Mars, its right in our own back yard.

Thats going to be cool. Once we get to the moon we can start practicing spending significant time on celestial bodies other than earth. Thats what the space station was for, practicing living in space in general, and once we go back to the moon we we can figure out what works and what doesn't with laboratories and living facilities and stuff.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be the skeptic here... I don't think that we would be able to successfully live there... or anywhere in space.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I'll be the skeptic here... I don't think that we would be able to successfully live there... or anywhere in space.

I think that the moon will be a hard place to live.

However, to say that we won't be able to live "anywhere" in space is just silly. It's just a matter of finding a place and getting there....... not an easy task but an achievable one.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technology is a crazy and unpredictable thing. We take for granted things now that even wacko optimists were not predicting 50 years ago.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Permanent living in space isn't really the goal with this though. The development of the space station and all that stuff is to practice living in a closed environment where you can't just walk down the street to the grocery store when you need something. Then when we go to the moon that will be to practice making permanent buildings and structures on a body other than earth. And doing it on the moon is much easier than mars because it is a couple days flight to the moon compared to a couple of months to the mars. They don't want to send a group of astronauts to mars just to realize that something doesn't work for beans and have to fly back, so the moon is a better option for optimizing and fine tuning things. Making a "colony" in space is way beyond any of our lifetimes, so for now when we visit the moon or mars it is with the intent of coming back to earth after a short while.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
Bogey wrote:

I think that the moon will be a hard place to live.

However, to say that we won't be able to live "anywhere" in space is just silly. It's just a matter of finding a place and getting there....... not an easy task but an achievable one.

I'm sure that the problems would arise that nobody have thought about and didn't have the imagination to figure out.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think NASA is looking at a moon base like a Hubble telescope that wouldn't be so fragile and expensive to maintain.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

luckygal wrote:
This invention marked in history with golden words. I think this will lead to many other surprising inventions in future also.

What invention are you talking about?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The discovery I guess Bogey.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The invention of the wheel.

Seriously, just think of how many round things you use during the day that rotate. Those are all wheel-like in appearance and operation.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Seriously, just think of how many round things you use during the day that rotate. Those are all wheel-like in appearance and operation.

Add teeth to that wheel and you got gears! More gears and devices and you have transmissions and translations.

Circular things rock!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking gears, clocks, door knobs, the rotating thing in your microwave, the list is endless.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My microwave doesn't have one of those rotating things. :(

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts